Author Topic: Hitman Pro detecting Avast DLL as suspicious malware  (Read 12479 times)

rogo

Hitman Pro detecting Avast DLL as suspicious malware
« on: December 18, 2011, 02:46:38 PM »
 ???  This is one for the record. Hitman Pro did a quick scan as usual, and when finished listed 5 or 6 DLL which is part of the Avast software as suspicious containing possible malware??? How do you figure this one out  false/positive?? I am ready to dump Hitman Pro because of this....what are the members opinions? :o

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Hitman Pro detecting Avast DLL as suspicious malware
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 02:50:23 PM »
IMO use malwarebytes  :)

rogo

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 03:14:02 PM »
IMO use malwarebytes  :)

Thanks for the opinion craigb ;D  I did scan Avast folder with superantispyware nothing!! I will try your suggestion

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 03:29:30 PM »
Hitmanpro is good for making paperweights  ;D

rogo

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 03:34:29 PM »

Your 100% correct essexboy ;D I just uninstalled it. I scanned Avast folder with malwarebytes and superantispyware and everything was clean. Thanks for your help much appreciated. Love Avast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 04:11:44 PM »

Your 100% correct essexboy ;D I just uninstalled it. I scanned Avast folder with malwarebytes and superantispyware and everything was clean. Thanks for your help much appreciated. Love Avast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D

It should come with a serious health warning, this software can seriously ruin your day.

The very short testing I did on it only found false positives (not that I expected it to find anything), even when reported they were still present over a week later and that was enough for me.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ethan76

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 08:30:03 PM »
Yeah. Recently removed HMP in my systems also. The FP's are always there. I don't know if surfright does receive the notifications from the gui that a certain file is "safe" because it still there even if I hit"Report this file as safe". Still rely on MBAM.

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 09:39:51 PM »
Please go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then select your country in Please select your country: then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

In Account Related Settings select Hide email akapost.com address from public? to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your email address.

rogo

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 12:56:25 AM »
Please go to PROFILE then Modify Profile then Forum Profile Information then select your country in Please select your country: then update your Signature: with information like my signature as this helps the helpers offer pertinent advice.

In Account Related Settings select Hide email akapost.com address from public? to prevent scammers and spammers harvesting your email address.

YoKenny:
   You are correct I use akapost.com to prevent scammers and spammers which I had the problem in the past. I got tired of the problems. akapost.com protects your real email address and where you originate from and this was my choice for no other reason. I am very selective whom I provide my real addy to (no offense). If you need to contact me send my a email via akapost.com I will get it ;D

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 02:00:39 AM »
Whilst it is a measure to prevent spammers/scammers, there really is no need to display it at all in the forums. Those who may need to see it, moderators and those with limited admin privileges can see it (avast! Überevangelist's have limited admin privileges).

However, your email address is hidden from public view (unless you have recently changed your profile settings), YoKenny has only recently been made an avast! Überevangelist and as such can see all email icon links. So if he is logged in as an avast! Überevangelist he will see it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Rednose

• Pirate Party Member
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Bits of Freedom : https://www.bof.nl
    • Nederlandstalig Avast! forum
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 02:29:16 AM »
Mmm, my experiences with Hitman Pro related to false positives are not that bad, at least not recently :)

Greetz, Red.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security
On Demand: Malwarebytes
VPN: NordVPN ( NordLynx ) with Threat Protection ( Lite )

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 04:22:07 PM »
Rogo's email address is showing to me at the time of this reply.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 04:35:36 PM »
It is hard for me to check as I can't logon as I have Admin privileges, so I used IE spit where I wouldn't be logged on (guest) to view it, so perhaps Guests can't see it (which is good), only those that are forum members and logged on.

So it may mean that the new avast! Überevangelist status couldn't otherwise see an email which is hidden from public view.

erikloman

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 08:44:39 PM »
???  This is one for the record. Hitman Pro did a quick scan as usual, and when finished listed 5 or 6 DLL which is part of the Avast software as suspicious containing possible malware??? How do you figure this one out  false/positive?? I am ready to dump Hitman Pro because of this....what are the members opinions? :o
Hi rogo!

My name is Erik Loman, one of the developers of HitmanPro. I was pointed to this thread by a member from Wilders Security Forum (this post).

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience.

I can think of two reasons why the above problem might occur:

• When Avast is updating its files while HitmanPro is scanning then these files might get flagged as suspicious. There is a module in HitmanPro that determines whether there is a discrepancy between information served by Windows (API) and the disk (low-level miniport). Due to Avast updating its files this module might cause these files to be falsely flagged as Suspicious (read: problem caused by HitmanPro, not by Avast).

• There is a cracked version of HitmanPro that is tampering with the date/time handling (to fool the license) which also messes up the scan and internal behavioral scoring mechanism of HitmanPro. The crack causes Suspicious items to be falsely listed.

In any case, Suspicious is not a Malware classification. Therefor the default action of Suspicious is Ignore (as listed in the result view). But I can understand that this is somewhat confusing for our users.

We have this issue in investigation and will likely release an update in the coming days.

Hope this sheds some light on the problem. Please feel free to ask questions.

Erik

rogo

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 12:29:25 AM »
Hi Erik:
    thank you for the in dept explanation on your product. Presently I have uninstalled Hitman Pro until I received a good explanation which you have given me. I have a valid license until May 2012. I will reinstall Hitman and keep a eye on it and see what happens, thanks again for your help. ;D