Author Topic: Add-on Language  (Read 16635 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Add-on Language
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2004, 08:16:41 AM »
Everything between < > is html code. html code is not vissible to a visitor of a webpage, it is use to build up the page and takes care of the layout.

e.g.
<b>test</b>  Test wil be showed in bold
<i>test</i> test will be shown italic

things like <b> are called tags.

watchthisspace

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2004, 08:33:06 AM »
Everything between < > is html code. html code is not vissible to a visitor of a webpage, it is use to build up the page and takes care of the layout.

e.g.
<b>test</b>  Test wil be showed in bold
<i>test</i> test will be shown italic

things like <b> are called tags.
I must remember those  :)

Thomas123

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2004, 04:59:59 PM »
I think I must have misled you guys :-\

<li><p>There're some reasons which can cause that you will not receive your license key:
         <ol>
<li>Filling the wrong E-mail box - the robot will send the message to this wrong mailbox  and you won&#14745; receive it!
            </li>
<h2>After you find that everything is OK, you are ready to register.</h2>
   </div>

What I want to ask is that:

For example:

Do I have to translate "After you find that everything is OK, you are ready to register." ?

I did not mean to translate the code inside <.>  :-\

-------------

I just have some new problem about the software translation.

- Absolute count (TO,CC,BCC): %d

- Warning count: %d

* HTML part check - remote iframe

* HTML part check - local iframe

Creat a new chest server

Verbosity

Can you tell me the meaning of these strings?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 07:02:06 AM by Thomas123 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2004, 10:44:27 AM »
I think I must have misled you guys :-\

What I want to ask is that:
For example:

Do I have to translate "After you find that everything is OK, you are ready to register." ?
I did not mean to translate the code inside <.>  :-\

I see - sorry for the confusion. Yes, the text inside of the tags should be translated as well in that case.

- Absolute count (TO,CC,BCC): %d

I suggest to check the avast! help - in particular, Resident Protection / Outlook/Exchange Provider Settings / "Heuristic - Advanced" Page. You'll find the meaning of some items there.

Basically, it's a description for e-mail heuristics (you can see it in the right part of the "Heuristics" page of Internet Mail / Outlook/Exchange provider setting). It shows the current setting for "mass messages" detection.
For example, if there is
Absolute count (TO,CC,BCC): 10
it means that when a single message is sent to 10 or more different people, a warning from avast! heuristic will be given (because it's suspicious - it seems like a worm spreading itself).

- Warning count: %d

Again, description of current setting. It shows the number of messages with the same subject or attachment that avast! lets send without giving a warning. If more messages with the same subject/attachment are send, a warning is shown.

* HTML part check - remote iframe

If the e-mail is sent/received in HTML format, it is checked for a remote iframe HTML tag (which may be dangerious).

* HTML part check - local iframe

If the e-mail is sent/received in HTML format, it is checked for a local iframe HTML tag (which may be dangerious and is really suspicious).

Create a new chest server

I can see "Select a new Chest server"... The avast! Virus Chest can be stored on a special server (I guess it's a part of server / network edition of avast! and shouldn't really be here). So, this line is just a title / label for Chest server selection in a network.

Verbosity

During the installation, the installer creates a log (of what has been done). After the installation, you can check the log. "Verbosity" means how much of the stored information will be displayed (i.e. how verbose it will be). (I.e. for lower "verbosity", the displayed log will be filtered somehow).

What do "Sessions", "Interactive Selection", and "Invert Selection"

For the explanation of "session" (quite an important term), I suggest to check avast! help again, in particular the page Enhanced User Interface / Basic Terms. Session is a particular "instance" of a task. For example, you have a task called "Scan local disks". When you start this task e.g. on Friday morning, it is one session of this task. If you start the task again on Sunday evening, it's another session of the task - etc.

"Interactive Selection" means that the area to scan is not given for the task, but rather it's entered at the start of the task. For example: the task "Scan local disks" does not have an interactive selection - the area to scan is given (it's all local disk all the time). When you start a task that has "interactive selection", a "Select area" dialog appears at every start of the task - and you can enter the disk/folder/file that will really be scanned this time.

"Invert selection" simply means "selecting the other items". For example, you have a list of results and some of its lines are selected. If you perform the "invert selection" operation, the lines that were selected now will be unselected and the other lines (those that were not selected now) will be selected instead.

define("PAGEOF", "Page %d of %d");
How can I fill in all the page numbers?

You can't. That's what the program does during the run-time.
That is why the special parts ("%d") are there - so that the program knows where it should place the numbers. Please, do not change any of these parts. The translation of such an items should look like
"Translated_word_"Page" %d translated_word_"of" %d"
(you can reorder the words slighly, but the special parts must stay in the same order as they are).

Thomas123

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2004, 03:18:38 AM »
The translation is almost complete. I want to know if I can use the

translation file. If so, how can I make Avast into Chinese version?

I want to know if everything thing is ok. I would like to check it out

to see if there are any translation problems.  :P

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2004, 09:58:17 AM »
I'm not sure which file you mean - but in any case, you cannot make it yourself. Please, send the files to me and I'll let you know what to do next.
Thanks!

Thomas123

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2004, 02:30:22 AM »
Do you have the file for translating the "Help"? While other

translated products have Chinese version, they also include

a "Help" with Chinese version.

If you have it, I will translate it too. But it will take me longer

to finish the whole translation. Also, I would like Avast!

releases the translated version without Chinese

version "Help" first, because I want to see how it is like to

be.

Again, I have some questions about the translation.

Code: [Select]
=[first characters of virus name] Show list of all viruses.
Do I have to "translate characters of virus name"?

There are also other strings that some words are included

inside. They are <> and "" . I feel very confused.  :'(

The Registration page:

define("CHIP", "Chip");
define("OTHERSEL", "&lt;other&gt;");
The software:

loop scanning

(semicolon-delimited address list)

Can you explain the meaning of them?  :-*

Besides,
Click Next to continue.

Can I make "" around Next and for other button words like Previous , Cancel, OK etc. ?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 04:43:11 AM by Thomas123 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2004, 11:52:20 AM »
Do you have the file for translating the "Help"? While other translated products have Chinese version, they also include a "Help" with Chinese version.

If you have it, I will translate it too. But it will take me longer to finish the whole translation. Also, I would like Avast! releases the translated version without Chinese version "Help" first, because I want to see how it is like to be.

Sure. The help files are mostly in HTML format (and they can also be translated, of course). I can send them to you - but I though (just as you write) that it is better to translate the program interface first, and when it is ready (and possibly released), the translation of the help files can start. The user interface is probably more important than the help - and besides, it's good to use the same terms (words, titles, ...) in the help as they are in the program itself.

=[first characters of virus name] Show list of all viruses.
Do I have to "translate characters of virus name"?

Yes, it's part of the help shown in ashCmd.exe. It tells the user that he can enter the first characters of the virus name to show the known viruses (whose name starts with these letters). So yes, it also should be translated.

There are also other strings that some words are included inside. They are <> and "" . I feel very confused.  :'(

Don't worry. If you are not sure, just keep the text as it is (you can also set a boomark to that item). When you send me the files, I will check everything and will let you know if anything is missing (with an explanation of what it means).

The Registration page:
define("CHIP", "Chip");
define("OTHERSEL", "&lt;other&gt;");

It's for the selection of "Where did you hear about avast! Antivirus".
"Chip" is a popular computer magazine (at least in Europe). "Other" just means the user heard about avast! from a difference source (none of the ones listed).

loop scanning

It's used in avast! screensaver. When this option is checked, it means that after avast! finishes the scan of the user disks, it starts again from the beginning and scans again (and after it's done, it loops again, etc).

(semicolon-delimited address list)

"Semicolon-delimited address list" simply means a list of e-mail addresses, and the semicolon (;) character used as separator. So, it could be something like:
user1@address1.com;user2@address2.com;user3@address.net

Besides, Click Next to continue.
Can I make "" around Next and for other button words like Previous , Cancel, OK etc. ?

Yes, you can, if you think it's better.
Btw, the "Next" and other buttons will be translated as well, of course.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Thomas123

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2004, 03:05:54 AM »
What does the meaning of avast! Cluster?

I always see some staff related to avast! Server and avast! Cluster.

I think they are not supposed to be there as you mentioned that before.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2004, 03:40:16 AM »
What does the meaning of avast! Cluster?
I always see some staff related to avast! Server and avast! Cluster.
I think they are not supposed to be there as you mentioned that before.

Hehe... this I asked Igor a long time ago  ;D
Cluster is an very specific and old computer network.
I let the same word (Cluster) in English and do not translate...
I think 'nobody' will see the word Cluster in your translated software anyway...
I wish I had kept all Igor's emails... I could write the 'help of avast translation' here  8)
The best things in life are free.

Thomas123

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2004, 04:06:14 AM »
Hehe... this I asked Igor a long time ago  
I let the same word (Cluster) in English and do not translate...
I think 'nobody' will see the word Cluster in your translated software anyway...
I wish I had kept all Igor's emails... I could write the 'help of avast translation' here  

So, Cluster means "Server"?

On the other hand, I want to know the meaning of the following statements:

avast! provides informative notes within the bodies of infected e-mails.  Information may also be writen into clean messages.

Insert note into clean message

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2004, 07:52:03 PM »
Hehe... this I asked Igor a long time ago  
I let the same word (Cluster) in English and do not translate.

Old? Well, "cluster" is a group of computers that act as one computer - i.e. a special kind of network. A number of computers is "connected" in a special way - and the result behaves as "one" computer, much more powerful.

So, Cluster means "Server"?

No. If I remember correctly, there is nothing like avast! Server or avast! Cluster in the resources. There is "avast! Cluster Installation Wizard" and "avast! Server Installation Wizard". The meaning of it is "A wizard to help you install avast! on a cluster" and "A wizard to help you install avast! on a server".

avast! provides informative notes within the bodies of infected e-mails.  Information may also be writen into clean messages.
Insert note into clean message

If you send or receive an infected e-mail, avast! will append a warning at the bottom of the e-mail. It will say something like "WARNING!! Virus detected - scanned by avast! Antivirus".
Optionally, you can set avast! to include similar notes even into clean (not infected) messages. Of course, in that case it will say something like "This message does not contain any virus - scanned by avast! Antivirus"

The two messages you mention are related to this option (inserting the notes into clean e-mail messages).

Thomas123

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2004, 01:22:47 AM »
What do "Critical Error" and "Avast! Critical" mean?

Under avast! Cluster Installation Wizard,

Please note that this wizard does not set that all avast! settings are the same on all cluster nodes. You should make sure that all the options you change on a node get propagated to other nodes as well.

What does "node" mean?

Under Base0409>String Table>1

: contains pattern of %s.

What does that sentence mean?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 02:07:35 AM by Thomas123 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2004, 03:32:22 PM »
What do "Critical Error" and "Avast! Critical" mean?

I'm not sure where "avast! Critical" is used, but "Critical Error" is simply some kind of very bad, serious error.

Please note that this wizard does not set that all avast! settings are the same on all cluster nodes. You should make sure that all the options you change on a node get propagated to other nodes as well.

What does "node" mean?

As I said, "cluster" is a group of computers that act as one. "Node" is one of the computers in the cluster (I mean, every computer in the cluster is called a "node").

Under Base0409>String Table>1

: contains pattern of %s.

What does that sentence mean?

Basically, it means ": contains virus %s". The "pattern" here means "sign of virus", "virus signature", or something like that. So, the sentence means that the virus called %s was found. (of course, the "%s" part will be replaced by the real virus name during the program runtime).