Author Topic: Notification Icon  (Read 12351 times)

helpdeskneko

Notification Icon
« on: December 18, 2011, 07:09:55 PM »
I am with all the minimalists who like the zero clutter notification bar.
But in defense of the avast! icon in the notification bar you have to understand a few things about Android. The Android OS has this setup to kill off applications that have been inactive as a way to free up memory. So the Icon keeps Android from killing avast! in effect, and I get that.

There are Other Ways though....
Like a spiffy avast! Widget installed on the desktop.  ;)

Just saying.

chainfire

Re: Notification Icon
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 12:01:09 AM »
I recall in another app something about the system requires processes with a certain priority level must have an ongoing notification icon. I'm with you however in that I don't like having the icon there all the time.

Up until now I had used Lookout to do scans. Lookout had an option to hide the ongoing notification icon and it never turned off as far as I can tell, so it stands to reason that Avast! could accomplish the same.

daiprich

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 04:45:29 PM »
Hi -
If I am in the wrong place I will welcome being redirected !
I have avast mobile security Beta on Galaxy S2 - 2.3.3
The circular icon is always in the notification bar even when Anti Theft is enabled.  And the wiggly avast icon is still in app launch screen. 
This means there is no stealth,  and I can still see the 'Anti Theft' tab in the avast mobile security menu (though it has a 'no-entry' circle over it).  Clicking on this Anti~Theft tab takes me to the password field, which leads to Anti Theft settings.
During set-up I was asked to enter a new 'pretend' app name,  which I did,  but there is no sign of it.
Is it me?  How do I achieve Stealth?
Thanks
Daiprich

helpdeskneko

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 04:54:13 PM »
You actually have done everything possible for stealth but one thing.  In the event that avast! is removed, the Anti-Theft program is still installed and protecting your phone.  It is meant as a stealth installation of protection beyond avast! -in the event the person who may have stolen your phone attempts to remove avast! the Anti-Theft is still intact so you can still use the SMS commands to lock wipe and set off the alarm.

I think a lot of people think there is a way to make both the avast Icon and program installation hidden and this is not the case. But if you remove avast! yourself you will still have the Anti-Theft program installed and hidden.

It's a great feature, but a bit misleading on it's usage.

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 08:17:20 AM »
I'd say it is also a bit misleading to potential thieves. The avast! let's you "uninstall it" and take a bait that now the anti-theft is gone. But it isn't :)

jailton

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 01:11:47 PM »
I recall in another app something about the system requires processes with a certain priority level must have an ongoing notification icon. I'm with you however in that I don't like having the icon there all the time.

Up until now I had used Lookout to do scans. Lookout had an option to hide the ongoing notification icon and it never turned off as far as I can tell, so it stands to reason that Avast! could accomplish the same.

So I agree ... as well as anti theft that works covertly