Author Topic: Web Shield Internet block  (Read 8017 times)

journeyman77

Web Shield Internet block
« on: December 18, 2011, 07:19:59 PM »
Hi all, i noticed suddenly that when the web shield is on, i cannot access the internet.
I dont use the windows firewall...

What should i do??

Thanks in advance

Journeyman77

iyogisolutions1

Re: Web Shield Internet block
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 07:25:44 PM »
Hi,

Try this..

avast! GUI -> Real-Time Shileds -> Web-Shileds -> Main Settings -> Check Scan traffic from well know browzer  processes only.

Please update us with results.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 08:13:22 PM »
Before anyone can give you a decent answer. Please supply us with more information concerning your OS, other security software you now have or ever had. If you have uninstalled any security software, how was it uninstalled? Which browser are you using? Security software includes anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-spyware and firewall. To know any and all exclusions you have would also help.  :)

@iyogi  How can the OP scan traffic from well known browsers if they can't access the web?  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

journeyman77

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 09:04:58 PM »
ok, i use windows 7 ultimate x64, fresh installation. No other security software (no firewalls, no anti-malware, anti-spyware) so nothing uninstalled.
Browsers used are firefox and chrom (same results).
I recently installed PS CS4, Alcohol and Vlc. Didnt check between the installations for internet access but when finished, nothing loading...

YoKenny

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 09:19:27 PM »
@iyogi  How can the OP scan traffic from well known browsers if they can't access the web?  ???
Typical useless post by iYogisolutions1  ::)

I use Windows 7 and avast! without problems.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 10:03:20 PM »
@iyogi  How can the OP scan traffic from well known browsers if they can't access the web?  ???
Typical useless post by iYogisolutions1  ::)

The OP cannot seem to connect to the web with the web shield on. iyogi has this over-riding desire to leap before he looks.  ???

@journeyman77 Thanks for the info. Have you tried a "repair" of avast?
Control Panel...add/remove(HP) or uninstall (Vista/Win7)...double click avast...scroll down to repair.
Hope this helps.  :) Keep us up to date...please.  :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 10:04:58 PM by Para-Noid »
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

journeyman77

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 10:14:52 PM »
did that repair as well as re-install avast.
Same condition. >:(

ady4um

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 10:33:54 PM »
did that repair as well as re-install avast.
Same condition. >:(

Have you rebooted after those actions?

In addition, just in case, have you tried the other suggestion in web shield -> EXPERT settings "...well known browsers only"?

Since you are not using the Windows Firewall, do you have any other one? Could you try deleting the firewall rules and reboot? Avast would try to reconnect and the firewall should rebuild the relevant rules.

Please report back about all these possibilities.

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 10:43:38 PM »
@iyogi  How can the OP scan traffic from well known browsers if they can't access the web?  ???
Typical useless post by iYogisolutions1  ::)

In some limited cases, the web shield would also need to be set with "...well known browsers only", but even in those limited cases usually there are better options/settings that would solve the problem too.

*****Copied from another topic.****
Thanks to ady4um for this advice.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 10:46:05 PM by iYogisolutions1 »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 11:03:45 PM »
@ iyogi  Isn't it better to get "all" of the facts and/or conditions before advising?  ???
         One of these times you will such bad advice that you could ruin someones computer!  :)

You mentioned "limited" cases...are you positive this is one of those?  ???

ady4um

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 11:18:30 PM »
Just to be clear, in case someone got confused with several different forum members posting, I am NOT discarding that iYogi's suggestion could be correct for this case, and I am NOT one of those trashing his comments (whether I agree with them or not).

Although we have not enough information, that simple and fast change may, in some cases, solve the OP's problem, without any additional changes or investigations.

Since testing that possibility is fast and simple, the user could report back the result almost immediately. If the problem is solved, we could leave it like that, or even try to narrow down the source of the problem even more (which increases the user's security a little bit more).

OTOH, if the problem is not solved with that change, we just invested a couple of minutes only, and the OP can provide more info for further investigations. Reverting back that one setting is also fast and simple, but should be mentioned explicitly, since most users will leave it even when it didn't help.

Other suggestions, like deleting the firewall rules for example, are also based on many cases and experience. This may or may not solve the problem, but it is much faster and simpler than uninstalling avast, running the removal utility, reinstalling and reconfiguring again (which, BTW, could solve the problem, or maybe not, but it is a PITA for sure).

Now let's wait for the OP's report, as we are all just talking and talking without any real reason nor goal.

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 11:39:03 PM »
I am NOT discarding that iYogi's suggestion could be correct for this case, and I am NOT one of those trashing his comments (whether I agree with them or not).

Although we have not enough information, that simple and fast change may, in some cases, solve the OP's problem, without any additional changes or investigations.

Thank you for your support. :D 8)

ady4um

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 06:14:58 AM »
One more thing, that was/is evident to me, but maybe not to others.

Quoting someone from other topic should be done properly. That means, as a minimum, providing the adequate context as to why the quote is relevant for this topic too when the quoted text is not self explanatory. Taking words from someone else and quoting them without relevant context can be deceiving. When possible, a link should be provided.

I'm not saying this specific case is representing my words either in a wrong way or a correct one. I am just saying what I think should be done to quote appropriately.

In addition, I don't think a simple quote is the best way to justify a certain questioned (by other forum members) procedure. Logical and technical reasons should be the adequate tools, IMO.

Let's go back on topic and wait for the OP's answer, if any.

journeyman77

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 07:34:15 AM »
Good morning,
i was out of town for the days that passed...
I have to report that my browser CAN connect to internet, following the iYogisolutions1 advice, ticking the "scan traffic from well known browsers". BUT...
The browser seems to respond a little late. I dont know if it has to do with, that's an assumption.

ady4um

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 08:13:56 AM »
Which EXACT browser we are talking about?

In addition, if you use a different browser (IE for example), are you able to connect correctly WITHOUT changing the web shield setting (meaning, as it was before you changed it after iYogi's suggestion)?