Author Topic: 127.0.0.1 smtp server name?  (Read 18656 times)

airken

Re:127.0.0.1 smtp server name?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2004, 06:15:45 PM »
hmmmm

hey Eddy,

could i get your advice on this post i just got in response to my celebrating on another board?

disable Avast's email scanning. It is a waste of system resources and no end of problems.

Here's why:
1. Proper cascading of the proxies must be done to insure correct operation.
2. Even if the email did have a virus/worm then Avast would immediatly quarantine it if you tried to open the attachement.
Opening attachements today without varifying the source preferably by voice contact is asking for disaster.
3. Having email scanning active can corrupt the Outlook Express .DBX files causing OE to not start.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

I believe the expression is "Three strikes you're out!"

thanks again

ken

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2004, 09:28:02 PM »
disable Avast's email scanning. It is a waste of system resources and no end of problems.
It sure is not the end of problems, more likely the start of even worse.
And since when is protecting a system a waste of resources?

1] As is the case with al av applications.
2] Not true at all. It depends on the settings a user has chosen in Avast.
3] Again not true. Avast will only remove the the infected message if you use OE. Other email clients who are using just one file for all the messages may loose every message but surely will not stop functioning.

The one who told you this really should spend some time on research before saying anything or just keep his mouth shut if he (she) don't know what he (she) is talking about.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 09:28:44 PM by Eddy »

airken

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2004, 02:54:51 AM »
kinda what i thought.

first time any of my problem posts ever got more than a few reads a quick answer..  (over 400 reads and 35 replies)

you da' man dude

thanks again

ken

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2004, 03:02:37 AM »
No thanks needed, just be happy with Avast. I (and many others here) are just like you, users of Avast and simple trying to help others based on their own experience and knowledge.

Keep in mind that everybody can use a little help at some point. If you can, help others (no matter if it is with computers or something else), just try to do so. Let's show the world that we really can live together ;)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2004, 09:25:24 PM »
Just thinking logically, that is all I did
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 02:40:38 AM by Eddy »

Edwin05

Re: 127.0.0.1 smtp server name?
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2005, 11:40:16 AM »
hi~ i'm chinese guy here ,1st sorry about my bad english ,i'm use Win98se OS ,my problem is , i'm use ms Outlook Express to check and receive mail ,after  install Avast  Antivirus v4.6.691 it seen can't receive or send mail... then i go check my mail account setting ,server information part ,the pop3 and SMTP setting auto revert change to >> 127.0.0.1 <  why this happen ? is need do any setting? hear u all soon... n thankx a lot if problem solve ...  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: 127.0.0.1 smtp server name?
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2005, 02:57:16 PM »
It need to happen so avast can scan your email before it gets into your inbox.

If you terminate the Internet Mail provider can you connect for your email?

Do you have a firewall? if so which one?
Ensure that your firewall allows access to ashMaiSv.exe otherwise you won't be able to get your email.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security