Author Topic: Event ID: 4226 TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed... At Boot-up  (Read 37859 times)

fidmas

Recently, I see:
Event ID: 4226
TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts.

in the Event Viewer at every start-up, and only at start-up.  after scanning 6 ways to sunday, and finding no worms, I tried disabling avast 6.0.1367 and rebooting.  No problem.

Setting "load avast! only after other services" helps some, in that I don"t see this event at start-up sometimes.

I'd like to increase this "a little", but everything I see on the net, to do this, contains malware.

XP(SP3)

Any ideas anyone?

bobo1

Re: Event ID: 4226 TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed... At Boot-up
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 03:13:10 PM »
Are you running bit torrent software? can cause this.
Run Malware bytes free to check for spyware?
Have you run a avast boot time scan?.
Def a malware process going off.
I have no issues
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 03:15:43 PM by bobo1 »

YoKenny

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
I do not see any Event ID: 4226 events on my XP Pro system.

Have you updated to avast! 6.0.1367  ???

fidmas

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 03:57:30 PM »
Are you running bit torrent software? can cause this.
Run Malware bytes free to check for spyware?
Have you run a avast boot time scan?.
Def a malware process going off.
I have no issues
Wouldn't touch Torrent with a 10' stick!

Ran Malwarebytes but I'll do it again.  Takes 5.5 hours.

Avast Boot time scan 2 days ago.  Didn't find anything, but I'll do it again.

Again: Only on Start-up and no event triggered if avast is disabled!!

Yes: avast 3.0.1367.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 04:00:08 PM by fidmas »

xtinguish

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 04:53:41 PM »
This is an easy problem to remedy.  It's because windows sets a very low limit for half open connections and this is easily reached when downloading via torrents. The best thing to do, is to increase the number of half open connection to 100 and this will allow torrents to download faster without breaking your new limit. it's a well known problem and requires a very small download to correct it. I have also encountered this when not downloading torrents due to various programs updating at start-up but would suggest you don't increase to more than 100.Link below
http://half-open.com/download_en.htm
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 04:58:19 PM by xtinguish »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 04:57:36 PM »
This is an easy problem to remedy.  It's because windows sets a very low limit for half open connections and this is easily reached when downloading via torrents. The best thing to do, is to increase the number of half open connection to 100 and this will allow torrents to download faster without breaking your new limit. it's a well known problem and requires a very small download to correct it. I have also encountered this when not downloading torrents but would suggest you don't increase to more than 100.Link below
Doesn't the OP say there not using torrents  ???

xtinguish

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 04:59:50 PM »
@ craigb. If you read my note, you will see that it can also occur when not using torrents.

Offline Bluemeanie

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 05:14:49 PM »
I see these from time to time as well. I've also heard that a poorly configured web page can cause this as well. Seeing this thread now, and looking again, I see that I'm getting them now at bootup as well, but not every time. And no torrents here at all, also just ran Malwarebytes and SAS and they're clean. So, is this something to even be concerned about?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 05:21:59 PM »
it is not necessary to run full scan   ;).....OBS...always click the update button before you start a scan!

fidmas

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 05:31:45 PM »
This is an easy problem to remedy.  It's because windows sets a very low limit for half open connections and this is easily reached when downloading via torrents. The best thing to do, is to increase the number of half open connection to 100 and this will allow torrents to download faster without breaking your new limit. it's a well known problem and requires a very small download to correct it. I have also encountered this when not downloading torrents due to various programs updating at start-up but would suggest you don't increase to more than 100.Link below
Thanks.  I'm not using Torrents, that I know of, so can i up to something like 20 first, to see what happens?

fidmas

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 05:32:58 PM »
This is an easy problem to remedy.  It's because windows sets a very low limit for half open connections and this is easily reached when downloading via torrents. The best thing to do, is to increase the number of half open connection to 100 and this will allow torrents to download faster without breaking your new limit. it's a well known problem and requires a very small download to correct it. I have also encountered this when not downloading torrents but would suggest you don't increase to more than 100.Link below
Doesn't the OP say there not using torrents  ???

Where do I look?

fidmas

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 05:39:57 PM »
it is not necessary to run full scan   ;).....OBS...always click the update button before you start a scan!

Thanks.  Yup. I always update first.  Quick Scan missed one once, at a friend's house, so rather than doing a QS for 1 hour first, I've been starting a Full Scan and going away. :-)

xtinguish

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 05:42:51 PM »
Click where it says Half Open Limit Fix.  When you download and run, it will tell you what your half open limit is and you can increase it to a higher level.

fidmas

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 06:24:01 PM »
Well, I used the "Half Open" fix to change from 10 to 20, and got the same event on the reboot.  So, I went ahead and made it 100.  I've rebooted now twice with no events.  I'll tell better after some time passes, but it looks good.

As I said, it never did this if I disabled avast, so I have to wonder what avast is doing trying to open that many connections?

Anyway, Thanks for now.  That's the only tcpip.sys patcher on the net that's not infected. :-/

ady4um

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 06:56:06 PM »
There are alternative solutions than changing the half... limit (which in addition opens security holes).

For the following, please revert back the previous patch/hack to the original Windows default and reboot.

Are you permanently connected? Change that setting in

avast main GUI -> settings -> updates -> "I am permanently connected...".

Try also in that same tab in avast the proxy to "no proxy (direct connection)".

Then reboot and test again.

There are additional tweaks if those are not enough (still, using the default values in Windows, with no need to hack/patch). So please report back.