Author Topic: Scandisk on EVERY cold boot??  (Read 2658 times)

beerslayer

Scandisk on EVERY cold boot??
« on: November 23, 2004, 01:46:54 AM »
Hi, all - I looked through this forum to see if anyone else had reported this and didn't find anything, so I'm just hoping to see if anyone else has seen this problem.

My copy of Avast updated itself to v4.5 (build 523) last week, and it seems like ever since then, every time I start my computer from a powered off state, it insists that one of my hard drives must be "checked for consistency".  Scandisk never reports anything out of the ordinary if I allow the scan to proceed.  This problem does not occur if I restart the system from the Start menu - i.e. a "warm" restart does not have this issue.  It only seems to happen when I first power on the machine.  I'm running Windows 2000 SP4 with various hotfixes, in case that matters.

I'm not 100% sure that Avast 4.5 is the culprit, but the timing seems suspicious.  I never had this problem before about a week ago - about the same time as the Avast update.  In all other respects, Avast 4.5 seems to be functioning normally.  So if it is the culprit, I might guess that it is opening some temporary files and then not closing them properly during a full system shutdown - could that be the root cause?

I may try upgrading to build 529 but I've seen nothing indicating that any such problem has been fixed there.

I just want to know if anyone else out there has had this problem.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Scandisk on EVERY cold boot??
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 01:55:03 AM »
Beerslayer, I have XP SP2 without this problem...
Anyway, if you boot safe mode, can you run a scandisk from there?
Do you see any message when you shutdown the computer?

Anyway, update to 4.5.529, it won't harm, on contrary, maybe it correct your problem  8)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Scandisk on EVERY cold boot??
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 08:39:35 AM »
Looks like a Windows problem I have seen several times. Why it happens? I don't know, but I did find a solution. Remove the registry keys that set the chkdsk options for boottime.