Author Topic: Remember my answer for this program, not working  (Read 4894 times)

unicat

Remember my answer for this program, not working
« on: December 19, 2011, 08:37:48 PM »
I have Avast Free Antivirus, program version 6.0.1367 When I go to play some games I get that warning that comes up that says, You are opening an application that may be potentially unsafe, I chose to open normally & tell it to Remember my answer for this program. But ever time I play again, it asks me all over again, it does not remember my answer. Now this happens so far on only games, but games are what it usually warns me about. These are games I own, so they are not unsafe. My question is why is Avast not saving my answer.

iyogisolutions1

Re: Remember my answer for this program, not working
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 01:01:03 AM »

Those games are trying to communicate with the Internet. That is the reason why avast! is trying to open those programs in avast! SandBox.
As you say avast! is not saving your answer, one thing you can do is trying to add the game program into SandBox Exclusions.

You can do it by,

avast! GUI -> Additional Protection -> SandBox -> Expert Settings -> Exclusions and add the Game Program into it. -> Click OK.

Now try to open the game software and update us with results.

ady4um

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 03:58:44 AM »
The above instruction:
avast! GUI -> Additional Protection -> SandBox -> Expert Settings -> Exclusions and add the Game Program into it. -> Click OK.

is the same as the File System Shield exclusions / exceptions.

In addition, in the Free edition there is "AutoSandbox", which is not the same as the sandbox in the paid-for editions of avast.

What I think you need to review is the following

avast! GUI -> Additional Protection -> AutoSandBox -> Expert Settings -> Exclusions "AutoSandbox".

The other one (exclusions) would prevent avast from scanning and protecting you in case the file is infected when you try to run it, and I don't think that is what you want.

Please report back.

unicat

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 06:28:33 AM »
But I am trying to get it to open normally, not in sandbox.

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 06:58:05 AM »
Then READ what I posted (and the included help in avast). It clearly says:
files that will be excluded from automatic sandboxing

unicat

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 05:01:56 PM »
Thank you. It works fine now. I had just been confused because to get to that spot, was differant than what you had said, but I had found it.

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 05:14:22 PM »
Thank you. It works fine now. I had just been confused because to get to that spot, was differant than what you had said, but I had found it.

You are confusing users / posters / forum members. Read again the topic.

unicat

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 07:46:38 PM »
No what I meant was to get to the spot to put the exclusions in, was differant than what you said. You said:
avast! GUI -> Additional Protection -> AutoSandBox -> Expert Settings -> AutoSandbox

& to get to that sot I had to go here:
avast-> additional protection -> AutoSandbox-> Settings-> AutoSandbox

There was no button that you clicked that said Expert Settings, it just says settings. Thats all I meant, that I had to take a differant path to get to the same spot. So that is what had confused me, I have it working now. So I said Thank you. I just was trying to say I was confused by the path you were saying to take. I had no clue what GUI was & there was no expert settings button. Thats was all. So I am not sure what you mean by read again the topic, I started the topic, so I know what it says. You miss understood what I was saying thats all.

ady4um

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 01:30:00 AM »
OK, You are correct about what the button says.

For your future knowledge, for other readers, and for Avast developers (so to change this in the future), I'd like to explain what I meant, and why I wrote the way I wrote it.

In avast 6.x, the same exact tab can be seen by

Code: [Select]
File System Shields -> EXPERT Settings-> AutoSandbox.
If you pay attention to other shields, you will see the "expert settings" button in the middle of the GUI (Graphic User Interface). Simultaneously, in the upper area of the GUI, you always have the button "settings".

The upper "settings" is the same for all tabs. The "expert settings" is particular for each shield (or for each tab selected on the left side).

To differentiate both buttons, I used the "expert settings" name so to avoid the normal confusion. My intention was for you to click on the lower "settings" button, not the upper (general settings) one.

Since the resulting settings shown by that button are in fact the "expert settings" of the File System Shield, I am used to call the lower settings (particular to the specific shield) the "expert settings", and reserve the "settings" name to the general settings of the program, in the upper area.

To be consistent with the rest of the program, the name of the button should be "expert settings". Using the same name (as it is currently being used, and wrongly IMHO), users would not be sure if they need to use the upper (general) button or the middle/lower one (shield - specific).

This needs to be corrected by Avast Team for the next version.

My apologies for my confusion and not being able to give the simpler (and uniquely identified) path starting from File System Shield. The autosandbox path is not unique (2 "settings" buttons), hence the confusion.