Author Topic: Future user with doubts  (Read 6249 times)

joaomt

Future user with doubts
« on: November 23, 2004, 09:58:32 AM »
hi!
I bought a computer with Norton AV pre-installed and I want to get rid of it as soon as possible because it's too heavy on Ram.
I searched the web and the nicest AV around seemed Avast heheh. here are my questions:

I would just like to know how good Avast does live protection.
for example: when browsing with Firefox I sometimes get a threat alert from files that go to the C:/Programs/Java folder from the website. All files refer to a Trojan.ByteVerify threat. Does Avast do the same?
Is Avast compatible with Firefox and Opera?
How many processes it needs running in order to work? in my task manager Norton has 10 or more :P
The portuguese version is brazilian or european?
I'm seeing in these forums that the latest final version of avast is having problems. Is it safe to install it at this moment?

Sorry for the long post and thank you for your time.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 09:59:06 AM by joaomt »

galooma

Re:Future user with doubts
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 10:05:10 AM »
Hi and welcome to the forums
if you are serious about security then yes avast is a great start but dont think it ends there . as i said if yuo are serious then if your system can handle it you should consider a firewall, Spybot and Adaware and finish it off with spywareblaster. all free and mutlayered security that doesnt use all your processing power . links are easy to find or just google the names and you will find em  good luck  :) :)
BTW trojan byte verify is a false alarm i think . if you search it here you will find out for sure
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 10:07:00 AM by ginblossom »

joaomt

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 10:10:50 AM »
I'm a security freak  ;)
I've stopped using Internet Explorer over 1 year ago and I'm using ZoneAlarm (loving it). Spybot and Adaware never found nothing in my system... maybe because I only browse with Opera and Firefox.
but thanks for the tip, it's always good to warn people.

galooma

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2004, 10:12:37 AM »
ok hope to see you back , cheers  ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2004, 12:26:53 PM »
Welcome to avast forums.

I would just like to know how good Avast does live protection.
for example: when browsing with Firefox I sometimes get a threat alert from files that go to the C:/Programs/Java folder from the website. All files refer to a Trojan.ByteVerify threat. Does Avast do the same?

Should do with easy... Two providers could scan it: Standard Shield and Script Blocker (only in Professional verssion)

Sure. No trouble.

How many processes it needs running in order to work? in my task manager Norton has 10 or more :P

Four. You can see that they start with the words ash and asw.

The portuguese version is brazilian or european?

I did the Brazilian translation  :-[ 8)

I'm seeing in these forums that the latest final version of avast is having problems. Is it safe to install it at this moment?

No troubles. The beta is very stable.
See more informations here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=9007
The best things in life are free.

joaomt

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 01:28:17 PM »
thank you so much, muito obrigado :)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2004, 12:34:54 PM »
How many processes it needs running in order to work? in my task manager Norton has 10 or more
It doesn't matter how many it uses. 1 process can use as much cpu time as 100.

Avast (as well as any other av) is compatible with all browsers.

The latest version is now 4.5.546 and keep in mind that if people have a problem they open their mouth, but if they don't have a problem (which normally is the majority) you (almost) won't hear them ;)

And for security click on the link in my signature and visit the "malware removal section" and the "HijackThis section"

And these two sites may also be of interest:
http://www.markusjansson.net/exp.html
http://www.nsa.gov/snac/
« Last Edit: December 02, 2004, 12:38:07 PM by Eddy »

jhiker

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2004, 06:04:40 PM »
And if you do decide to uninstall Norton make sure you do it cleanly. Best to use the correct uninstall procedure which can be found elsewhere on this forum. It's been discussed many times, but it can be a bit awkward to remove all traces.
I myself recently switched from Norton to Avast! and I've not looked back -  I love it.

joaomt

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 07:38:21 PM »
Don't worry. I'll be formating my computer so it will get rid of all Norton stuff  ;D ;D I just need to start saving my data in CD's.
Eddy, I understand the cpu issue but I'm also worried about memory. The less things working in the background, the less chances of things to crash.
Since I've started using a firewall plus any browser other than IE, my computer never got hijacked. But strangely I've heard about too many people needing to use that "hijack this" program ;) I just hope I don't need it if I replace Norton.
cheers

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 12:36:34 PM »
Eddy, I understand the cpu issue but I'm also worried about memory. The less things working in the background, the less chances of things to crash.

Well, things could be a little bit easier and different.
Thinking this way you won't even turn on the computer  ;D
A good software installation does not crash and is very stable.

Since I've started using a firewall plus any browser other than IE, my computer never got hijacked. But strangely I've heard about too many people needing to use that "hijack this" program ;) I just hope I don't need it if I replace Norton.

And install avast, a firewall and antispy programs.
The best things in life are free.