Author Topic: Opera 11.60 & "Connection closed by remote server"  (Read 13549 times)

valynor

Opera 11.60 & "Connection closed by remote server"
« on: December 20, 2011, 12:41:25 AM »
Hello,

I am getting a LOT of "Connection closed by remote server" errors in Opera 11.60/winXPsp3, which happens to be my main browser. Does not happen in Iron Chrome 15. I suspect the culprit is Avast's 6.0.1367 "transparent proxy" for web-scanning.

The "Connection closed by remote server" errors happen usually only when I enter some text into a box, like on YouTube's search box -> ENTER -> "Connection closed by remote server".
In fact it happened just a minute ago when I was registering to this forum, too. Anything you can do about this?

Thanks.

iyogisolutions1

Re: Opera 11.60 & "Connection closed by remote server"
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 12:45:27 AM »
We need more info on the issue.

1) What is the operating system that you have in the computer.

2) Are you gettig the same error while you are using Internet Explorer

Meanwhile, try this..

avast! GUI -> Real-Time Shileds -> Web-Shileds -> Main Settings -> Check Scan traffic from well know browzer  processes only.

Please update us with results.

valynor

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 12:56:12 AM »
I already posted my OS (Win Xp SP3). And I told you I don't get the error on Iron Chrome 15. :)

I just enabled "Scan traffic from well know browzer  processes only" and will report back with my findings.

valynor

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 12:59:13 AM »
... and it happened again.

http://dict.leo.org/ << I will get the error on this site a lot if I enter a word to translate. Usually going back and hitting enter again will make it work.

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 01:16:52 AM »

We checked with the website and it is working fine here. We even scanned the website and its clean too. We got one more question for you.
Why you think that avast! is causing problems here. If avast! is the culrit, you will face the same issue in Iron Chrome 15 too.

valynor

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 01:24:56 AM »
I think Avast! is the culprit because I also use the portable version of Iron Chrome 15 that does not show this error. If I correctly understand the way Avast!'s transparent proxy works, it cannot "see" traffic coming from Iron Chrome because it doesn't recognize it as a browser process.
I don't have any other software installed that interacts with the network on this level. Also there are older threads in this forum where the same problem occured for Opera users and Avast! 5.x versions, e.g.:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=68494.0
In this thread "sded" writes:
"The pipelining support seems to fix the Opera 11 stalls, but now I am getting a lot of "connection closed by remote server" messages from Opera 11.  Need to be very slow and methodical in clicking, and sometimes backspace and repeat to make it all work.  So not quite there yet."

This is exactly what I'm experiencing.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:51:32 AM by valynor »

iyogisolutions1

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 02:23:55 AM »
Portable or Non portable browzer, avast! will scan all the traffic from the computer. So your assumption about
"cannot "see" traffic coming from Iron Chrome because it doesn't recognize it as a browser process" is worng. And the forum posting that you have given here is more than an year old and is with avast! 5.1.864 version. That issue is fixed long back. But if you are still not convinced with avast! then you can try to disable avast! and check whether the issue is happening or not. But we never recommend this. But this is for comfirming that the issue is not with avast.

valynor

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 03:06:09 AM »
I disabled all shields ... and it is not happening.
I re-enabled them and I can provoke this bug within a minute by opening tabs to www.youtube.com and
dict.leo.org and entering search terms.

ady4um

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 04:12:05 AM »
Just a couple of "blind" ideas.

Change avast main GUI -> settings -> updates -> update parameters -> "my computer is permanently connected...".

Also in the same tab, set the proxy to "direct connection (no proxy)". Save the changes.

Now delete your firewall rules to your browser and to all avast - related processes.

Please reboot. Wait 10 minutes after the reboot, and *then* test and report back.

AdrianH

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 07:41:33 AM »
Confirmed as happening on a regular basis with the last 2 versions of avast! and several versions of Opera. Using Win7 64Bit now  Opera 11.60.

Just a couple of "blind" ideas.

Change avast main GUI -> settings -> updates -> update parameters -> "my computer is permanently connected...".

Also in the same tab, set the proxy to "direct connection (no proxy)". Save the changes.

Now delete your firewall rules to your browser and to all avast - related processes.

Please reboot. Wait 10 minutes after the reboot, and *then* test and report back.

That's how my machines are set and it makes no difference.

Run a different AV product and the issue is gone, return to avast! and several times a day the error pops up.

Avast! often struggles with Opera, sites lag or refuse to open yet try another browser and there is no issue. I have been testing Bullguard 12 suite for the last week and Opera performed perfectly, returned to avast! and instantly get these intermittent issues.

valynor

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 08:06:09 AM »
Thank you, AdrianH.
I knew I wasn't crazy. ;-)

Still testing the above suggestions which is kind of hard, since the timeouts do not always happen at a high frequency - but it already happened one time with "direct connection (no proxy)" > ON.

I confirm it got a lot worse with the last two Avast! updates.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 08:08:27 AM by valynor »

valynor

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 12:05:44 AM »
After a day of testing I would say -with reservations- that "direct connection (no proxy) > ON" seems to at least severely reduce the "Connection closed by remote server" errors.
Will report back again if it changes.

ady4um

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 02:22:21 AM »
What about the other suggested changes in the update settings?