Author Topic: Which application should I allow?  (Read 14958 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Which application should I allow?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2004, 03:42:54 PM »
Technical, he is trying to use Windows Explorer for browsing the internet. Even if you deny access for Windows Explorer that doesn't mean that you have no access to internet.

INTERNET EXPLORER is for that purpose, not Windows Explorer...

I know this and tryed to write this  ??? ::)
The best things in life are free.

SupaSmurf

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2004, 08:33:53 PM »
Are you so sure that Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer aren't related?
Open up Windows Explorer, in the address type in a URL. You'll see that it takes you straight away to the page.
One of the main reasons that Internet Explorer is considered to be a vunerable browser (yes, yes I am a FF user, but I'm not here on an MS bashfest,) is because of the fact that IE is so intertwined with the operating system and windows explorer.
IE and Windows Explorer do the same job, just one is local and one isn't, with varying tweaks to accompany those differences.

I solve this issue altogether by simply blocking IE and using FireFox for my browsing needs.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2004, 08:52:23 PM »
That's not the issue. Since we are at this topic, you can also type your url directly into START/RUN prompt and it will take you straight to that site that url is pointing to.

The issue is... he said he is not able to browse the internet just because he blocked his Windows Explorer (file browser, again, it doesn't matter the fact that you can use it as internet browser as well) in his firewall. OK, he said that, but he still is able to post in these forums ?!?? That means one thing... his internet connection is stil alive and available and he can browse the internet without any problems...

"Simply" blocking IE and using Firefox won't give you any advantages in this case... especially when it comes to Windows update.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 08:53:24 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

RV01

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2004, 09:04:43 PM »
I do understand what you mean but I dont know what to do.Hence never mind :)

RV01

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2004, 09:52:24 PM »
An other application is C:\Windows\System\Kernel32.dll Should I allow it from my firewall or not?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2004, 12:57:36 AM »
An other application is C:\Windows\System\Kernel32.dll Should I allow it from my firewall or not?

Never saw... maybe?
Did you googled this?
Eddy or Sasha, is this a legitimate dll?

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2004, 01:04:56 AM »
This is the definiton:

Kernel32.dll is the 32-bit dynamic link library found in the Windows operating system kernel. It handles memory management, input/output operations, and interrupts. When Windows boots up, kernel32.dll is loaded into a protected memory space so other applications do not take that space over.

On occasion, though, users may encounter the "invalid page fault" error.

This error occurs when a program or application tries to access kernel32.dll's protected memory space. Sometimes the error is caused by one particular program or application, and other times it is provoked by multiple files and applications.

If the problem results from running one application, then the application needs to be replaced. If the problem occurs when accessing multiple files and applications, the corruption is probably caused by faulty hardware.

The problem is 'cause my firewall never asked me do I want to allow it or not...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2004, 01:10:15 AM »
The problem is 'cause my firewall never asked me do I want to allow it or not...

Me too... so that seems strange for me... Thanks.  ;)

RV01

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2004, 09:15:22 PM »
That's why although it is among the applications so far it hasn't asked me yet.
What about C:\Windows\System\Sucatreg.exe should I allow this application?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2004, 09:58:53 PM »
Are you so sure that Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer aren't related?
Yes for sure. Remove IE from 98se and windows explorer will still function.

If you want to know if something should be allowed or not. Use GOOGLE to find out what it is and than decide to allow it or not.

RV01

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2004, 10:12:35 PM »
I thought that if I asked you Iwould have a more justified answer since I am an Avast4 user.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2004, 10:15:52 PM »
It is your system, so you have to decide what you want to do with it. That is not up to us.

RV01

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2004, 10:17:42 PM »
I decide to ask you

neal62

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2004, 10:18:28 PM »
Here is one definition of Windows Explorer:

"The graphic interface to the Windows filing system. Using images to represent files and folders, it lets you manage documents by moving them between folders and deleting, copying or renaming them."

RV01 here is a definition of Internet Explorer (Browser):

Definition:  " (IE, MSIE) Microsoft's free World-Wide Web browser for Microsoft Windows, Windows 95, Windows NT, and Macintosh. Internet Explorer is the main rival to Netscape Navigator (which runs on many more platforms). Both support the same core features and offer incompatible extensions"

One more definition of Windows Explorer, hope this explains the difference ;)

Explorer

"Also known as Windows Explorer, explorer is used in Microsoft Windows 95 and above to explore and manage the files on the computer drives. Although similar Microsoft Explorer is not the same as "My Computer" and is not the same as "Microsoft Internet Explorer".
Users familiar with earlier version of Windows such as Windows 3.0 or Windows 3.1 can think of explorer being the same thing as file manager."

« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 10:26:58 PM by neal62 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2004, 02:30:26 PM »
RV01 and Eddy, please......  :P

RV, do you have any doubt yet?

Windows Explorer could not be allowed to connect the Internet, but you decide if you want or not. You'll see a website as you see your own files in the computer.

Internet Explorer should be allowed to connect if it is your browser or you want to update Windows.

We're here to help  8)