Author Topic: Rootkit virus  (Read 20927 times)

AussieKev

Re: Rootkit virus
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2011, 07:58:15 AM »
Hi Essexboy or Pondus,

Okay I have done as you requested in the posts and here are the results.

At the end of the scan(after a couple of hours) The scan said there were no threats therefore there was no report and the save button wasn't operating.

I continued and started the gathering system information and clicked on box Start Gathering system information it started gatering information and at 76% completed it stopped gathering information and the box appeared that says Start gathering system information. I tried again to gather the information but it only got to 76% again.

Therefore I don't have any reports to send so please advise if I do it all again or what happens from here. The computer seems very slow now.
This is starting to seem serious?

Thanks again for your time.

AussieKev

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2011, 07:35:01 PM »
Yep what Pondus said... I have been travelling today and just returned

AussieKev

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2011, 12:00:00 AM »
Hi Essexboy,

I have run the virus removal tool but no threats were found so could not generate report. I have gathered the other analyis as reuested and uploaded it successfully to Megaupload but do not know how to attach the zip file as the additional options will not accept zip files.
Please advise how to send the zip file to you.

AussieKev

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2011, 12:09:06 AM »
why not also upload the zip to megaupload   ;)

but you need to post the download links here so essexboy can get the files...

AussieKev

« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2011, 12:47:55 AM »
Hi Pondus,
Not sure what you mean but I will copy the files to this post if possible.

avptool_sysinfo.zip 34.4 KB    www.megaupload.com/?d=XGEDT2K7

avptool_sysinfo.zip

Please advise if this is correct

AussieKev

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2011, 01:04:34 AM »
you say...quote

I have gathered the other analyis as reuested and uploaded it successfully to Megaupload.....
what analysis is this....and where is the download link ?

is it the one you have already posted ?

AussieKev

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2011, 01:49:09 AM »
Hi Pondus,

The files in my last post were from the megaupload site and that is what I understood you wanted.

The only other ones are on my desktop that I downloaded from the megaupload site. These files will not copy so I do not know what I am supposed to do.
As advised before I am a complete novice and I have no idea what I am supposed to do. I have spent hours on this and have got nowhere I am completley frustrated.

AussieKev

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2011, 09:24:04 PM »
AVP showed that you still have traces of AVG on your system, and a look at that element leads me to suspect it is part of your ZeroCD Sierra Wireless

<registry>
<root>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE</root>
<key>SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\swcustcfg\5FFC</key>
<valuename>Mode</valuename>
<value>1</value>
</registry>

The above is some of the sierra wireless card configuration entries in the registry   

There is also no file attached to this as it enables or disables the wireless card from here (as the name suggests - a configuration entry )

I think there may be an option to select ignore for the rootkit scan.  Is that one of the options available ?

AussieKev

« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2011, 11:47:37 PM »
Hi Essexboy,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes there is an option to ignore when the box comes up. I have never used it as it also says delete is recommended.

Okay from here do I select ignore and carry on as normal?
I use the Sierra Wireless card for all my access to the internet as I do not have access to ADSL and I also do a lot of travelling and need to have the card there. The card is plugged into a Router that allows me to use a number of computers and VOIP phone. Do I need to take the Sierra card back to Telstra for them to reprogram it or replace it?

What happens now?

Thanks for all your help I realise it has been a long drawn out process but I do appreciate yours and Pondus's knowledge and imput.

AussieKev   :)

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2011, 12:06:36 AM »
Set it to ignore as this is not malware - which you have confirmed by stating you use the card  ;D

The card should not need replacing... Once you select ignore you should not see it again

Any other problems ?

AussieKev

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2011, 01:12:43 AM »
Hi Essexboy,

No no other problems at this stage at least no Malware problems that I know of. Plenty of other problems not necessarily computer based.

I would like to thank you guys for your paitence and work on solving the problem and should I have any other problems I will take them to the Forum.

I hope you and Pondus and your families have a really great 2012 and if you are ever in Australia look us up and we can show you around.

Thanks again.

AussieKev

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2011, 01:19:45 AM »
I hope you and Pondus and your families have a really great 2012 and if you are ever in Australia look us up and we can show you around.
Cheers, mate......naaaaa i am scared of those crocodiles you have down there    ;D

AussieKev

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2011, 01:25:28 AM »
Hi Pondus,

No need to worry about the Crocks. They are only in the north of the country and if you don't disturb them they won't worry you.
I used to work in the north and used to swim with the freshwater crocs. They usually don't hurt you it is the salt water ones you need to worry about. I am doing a trip up north this coming year and I should see plenty but only in farms under capticity.

Thanks to you also Pondus and all the best.

AussieKev

AussieKev

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2011, 01:40:36 AM »
Hi Pondus,
As you like Crocodiles yesterday at a reptile park (10klm from where I live) Elvis the Crocodile attacked a lawnmower that was being used to mow some grass in the enclosure. Elvis didn't like the noise, the guy doing the mowing got a fright.

AussieKev

true indian

« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2011, 07:55:34 AM »
Hmm...wifes=crocks!  ;D