Author Topic: is Script Blocking needed when already using ZA Pro?  (Read 6274 times)

steiner

is Script Blocking needed when already using ZA Pro?
« on: August 19, 2003, 06:26:35 PM »
I already have script blocking features in ZA Pro activated and was wondering if its even needed at all in Avast! Pro.

BTW.  this is a great program!  I just got of NAV casue my subscription ended, and I'm really liking the features and functionality of Avast! 4

Waldo

Re:is Script Blocking needed when already using ZA Pro?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2003, 06:36:31 PM »
well, they both block scripts launched from websites.

I have "ZA pro 4 with webfiltering" and also use the script blocking from zone alarm, aswell the script blocker from AVAST 4.0 Pro.

I have no problems viewing websites under these settings.

I guess maybe its a little overkill, but as long as they don't interfier wich each other, why not run both.

They serve the same purpose, but what the heck, having a layered defense is always better...

Btw : congrats on buying the best AV ever (atleast better than NAV) :)

Waldo
« Last Edit: August 20, 2003, 11:09:57 AM by Waldo »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2003, 09:33:43 AM »
I'm not very familiar with ZoneAlarm - can somebody tell me what does the "script blocking" block there?
avast! is scanning the scripts for viruses (useful for RedLof virus, for example). Doesn't ZoneAlarm look rather for popup-windows and other "annoying" stuff?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2003, 09:34:37 AM by igor »

Waldo

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2003, 11:05:58 AM »
I thought, (maybe i misunderstood the help file) that the script blocker from AVAST does not scan for virusses either.

According to the help file, it's just blocks them.

maybe the resident shield will detect a malicious script if it slips by.

so, i guess they serve both the same purpose.

Could be wrong though
, but like i said. The help file of AVAST doesn't tell that it really scans for virusses in  scripts. It states : it blocks them. (just like ZA PRO does)

and yes, indeed > ZA PRO also blocks cookies and popups, javascript, active X,etc...

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/zapwwf/zapwwf_details.jsp

Waldo
« Last Edit: August 20, 2003, 11:19:05 AM by Waldo »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2003, 11:39:36 AM »
What part of the help file does it say? Maybe it should be clarified a little... (but if the help states "It checks scripts contained in the web pages", it means they are scanned).

In any case: avast! Script Blocker block the scripts that are identified as viruses, so it's really scanning them; only the infected scripts are blocked, the rest is allowed to be started.

In some cases, the Script Blocker might be really useful - if you have unsecured MS Explorer and visit a page infected by VBS:RedLof, the Standard Shield may not catch it (since the virus is started right inside the browser, without being written to disk). That's exactly what the Script Blocker is for in fact - catching viruses that exploit bugs in browsers.

Waldo

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2003, 11:58:48 AM »

In any case: avast! Script Blocker block the scripts that are identified as viruses, so it's really scanning them; only the infected scripts are blocked, the rest is allowed to be started.

Totaly agreed.

ZA PRO on the otherhand blocks ALL scripts. Not only the nasty ones.

Offcourse this reduces the freedom (and quality) of surfing a little. But not that much.

So maybe it's a good thing to run them both? dunno.

Atleast, it is not bad at all to use them at the same time.

They work without ANY problems next together.

steiner

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2003, 01:19:07 PM »
ZA PRO on the otherhand blocks ALL scripts. Not only the nasty ones.

exactly!...which makes the script blocking feature in Avast  redundant, and thus unneeded feature in my case (as I have ZA Pro to block scripts already).

in any case, I think having script blocking is a great tool in ZAPro...it litterally kills the unwanted script on pages giving you more veiwable area...no banner ads, etc.

go to hardwarecentral.com for example and run the pages with the scripts and then refresh the pages with scripts blocked in ZA. :D

Waldo

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2003, 02:34:36 PM »
well ,you have the option  to use both. But like you said yourself, it could be a little overkill.

Using Zonealarm Pro with or without AVAST script blocker doesn't really mather. Your protected anyway.

Zonealarm is really a good tool.

But it doesn't harm either to use both.

I guess, you already made up your mind. so succes.

Waldo