Author Topic: Avast 4.5 Network Shield  (Read 6660 times)

delakota

Avast 4.5 Network Shield
« on: November 23, 2004, 08:57:56 PM »
Hello

I've been using avast for about 6 months now and really like it so I recommend it to friends and family who have actually bought the pro version :) Congratulations and carry on the good coding!

I installed the latest 4.5 home version on about 3 computers last week and used custom install on windows 98se and selected to install the network shield component. Doh! - I only just read the new features in avast 4.5 and have realised this component is for NT based systems only. Will this have any impact on system performance/stabilty or cause any problems. Or will it just not function. The way I see things I have 3 choices - 1)leave the installations alone 2) terminate network shield process or 3) reinstall avast with typical install

I know I should have been more diligent and read up on the new features.
Btw will network shield ever be available in windows 9x or is it specifically coded for nt vulnerabilties?

Any info would be useful thanks
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 09:14:41 PM by delakota »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Avast 4.5 Network Shield
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 09:09:56 PM »
The way I see things I have 3 choices
The way I see it you have 4 options ;D

start > control panel > add/remove programs > Avast > change/repair

remove the network shield provider.

Btw will network shield ever be available in windows 9x
I don't think so, 9x is becomming a obsolete OS.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2004, 09:10:49 PM by Eddy »

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 12:39:29 AM »
Btw will network shield ever be available in windows 9x or is it specifically coded for nt vulnerabilties?

No, we're not planning to do that. Windows NT+ uses different driver model for hooking network traffic than Windows 9x - we'd have to rewrite whole driver. As Eddy said, Win9x is obsolete and there're many problems and conflicts with this OS. Sorry.

delakota

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 07:43:25 PM »
Thanks for both replies
I have uninstalled the network shield from the windows 98 installations.
No need for apologies - i don't use it anymore either! Just some ppl i know are still using older pcs with win98se who are happy with their systems and see no need to upgrade. When ppl ask me to recommend or install a virus scanner and firewall tell them get avast home and kerio personal firewall 2.15.  Of course I aklways tell them to buy the pro version of avast if they are impressed! They both seem to run well on lower spec systems - I fear Norton Internet Security package would make their systems unusable! haha

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2004, 10:02:59 AM »
I would add: the fact it that the target of today's worms is usually the NT platform, so the need for the Network Shield is actually smaller on Win9x.

Neron

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 03:52:56 PM »
That's good for me! :DMy win 98 se.But i heard something and i don't know is it true,That most of the viruses,just like igor wrote for the worms,can't attack win 9x.I'm not sure but i though there is no difference if i'm using xp or 9x(if we are tolking for viruses)I think all the viruses can attack win9x just like the new versions of windows.