Author Topic: Not using Web and Email Shields. Still Safe?  (Read 2343 times)

gate1975mlm

Not using Web and Email Shields. Still Safe?
« on: December 30, 2011, 03:00:52 PM »
Would Avast still catch most of the virus out there if I only use the following Realtime shields?

File System Shield

Network Shield

Script Shield

Behavior Shield

I find that my computer runs a good bit faster and also less issues with this setup.

Just want to know if I am still pretty safe with this setup?

My reasons for not using some of the shields are because I use Admuncher which causes issues with the web shield. And I also notice that I get random errors in my pop email using Windows live mail caused by SSL protection in avast. And i am tired of dealing with these issues.

Am I better off using another AntiVirus if I don't use every Avast Realtime Shield?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 03:04:43 PM by gate1975mlm »

YoKenny

Re: Not using Web and Email Shields. Still Safe?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 03:06:23 PM »
I do not use Admuncher and I have no problem with any of the Shields in avast!

ady4um

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 03:42:34 PM »
About web shield, it is a pretty important one.

So, maybe you can provide more precise info about the problems with web shield and mail shield so we can try to help you resolve them (or to find a workaround).

Please describe what happened when you find the problems, and which edition and version you are using of both, avast and OS.

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 04:31:54 PM »
About web shield, it is a pretty important one.
+1

which edition and version you are using of both, avast and OS.
Its Windows 7 64 Bit

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 04:45:26 PM »
@ gate1975mlm
I would say that the web shield is perhaps the strongest pro-active shield as it is A) very accurate in its alerts and B) it is stopping them from getting on to your system, rather than rely on detection on the system. The web shield can detect and block exploits/hacked sites, that are going to try and run scripts to download other malware.

Now the beauty about this is that avast doesn't have to be able to detect the remote malware, just the exploit/script injection on the original site. So this could prevent what might otherwise have been undetected malware getting on to your system. So no contest install the web shield.

Given your system spec, I honestly can't see the web shield making a blind bit of difference to its performance. I have no problem with performance on my system with the web shield enabled (I don't have P2P or IM shields installed, don't use those products) and our system spec is close, my processor is faster, but not by much and you have more RAM. However, win7 will be taking a larger chunk of that RAM  than XP Pro.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dch48

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 07:50:36 PM »
The web shield is pretty important. The mail shield in most cases is redundant since providers all do their own scanning these days. I leave it on though since a slight slowdown in loading email is not a deal breaker at all.