Author Topic: Starting Providers  (Read 3811 times)

Rocket J Squirrel

Starting Providers
« on: November 23, 2004, 11:47:01 PM »
Win2K, Avast 4.5 Home Edition

I needed to do an uninstall and re-install to clear up a non-related problem, but now I am having e-mail POP problems.

I presently have 4 of six providers running (IM, Network Shield, P2P and Standard). My e-mail (Thunderbird) is unable to get a response from 127.0.0.1 so I need to start the e-mail providers.

How? I can't find a way to get them running.

Thank you!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Starting Providers
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 02:21:28 AM »
Rocket J, the version 4.5 has a new mail detection that will work automatically. Please, set up your email account just as avast does not exists. It will detect the pop3/smpt/imap ports and scan your messages. No need for '127.0.0.1' stuffs...

New email detection is automatic and do not require user interaction. Anyway, spam killer applications need manually change email account settings  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Rocket J Squirrel

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 04:40:31 AM »
That's pretty cool -- it did take a bit of poking through help files and some jiggery-pokery to get Thunderbird set up to look to 127.0.0.1 to POP.

Now, with Thunderbird set to go to the original POP server, I'll have to have someone e-mail me a virus to confirm operation.

So, now about the two non-running Providers, Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange:  Avast! says are "waiting for a subsystem to start." Um . . . they are unneeded providers or something?

And an Inquiring Minds Want To Know question: what subsystem are these providers waiting for and how would a fellow start them if he wanted to?

peterfu

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 06:31:15 AM »

Now, with Thunderbird set to go to the original POP server, I'll have to have someone e-mail me a virus to confirm operation.

So, now about the two non-running Providers, Internet Mail and Outlook/Exchange:  Avast! says are "waiting for a subsystem to start." Um . . . they are unneeded providers or something?

The subsystems these providers are waiting for are Your E-mail clients - these subsystems are needed for mail scanning -  so if You start Thunderbird the Internet Mail provider shoulld change his status. If You for sure don't use Outlook/Exchange then you may stop the Outlook/Exchange Provider.

To check if the mails are scanned no need to wait for a real virus:
- check the headers of received mails, there You should have following lines
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0447-1, 19.11.2004), Inbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
- to check also outbound scanning send yourslef a mail, then the received mail should have also the above lines plus the headers for outbound check
- or go to http://www.testvirus.org and send yourself a mail with the harmless eicar test pattern
br
Peter

Rocket J Squirrel

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 07:46:53 AM »
Thunderbird is running and neither mail Provider is running.

My headers are no longer showing any evidence that Avast has scanned incoming mail.

The eicar test pattern has come through without Avast complaining.

It looks like Avast is not scanning inbound mail.

Spock

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 09:08:11 AM »
Something is definitly vrong with e-mail scanner, because
Version 4.5 pro,  build 4.5.523 prevent sending E-mail with attachment with MS outlook express. Everything work O.K. with MS Outlook. If i terminate INTERNET MAIL in On Access protection controll then I can send e-mail with attachment normaly. Also
I have to notice, that this is happend on all computers not only on my.