Author Topic: Gotta be a bunch of bugs...  (Read 10086 times)

PSandusky

Gotta be a bunch of bugs...
« on: February 22, 2003, 07:13:34 PM »
I've been having trouble with Avast! 4 hanging whenever I try to do various things. For one thing, my MUSH client (Pueblo/Smial) won't run so long as Avast! is in the system tray (ctrl-alt-del says Avast! is the program that has failed to respond, rather than the MUSH client), and the updater utility hangs when installing updates. All of this has begun since I installed Version 4. I'm running Win98SE with 128M RAM.

Thankee!

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re:Gotta be a bunch of bugs...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2003, 08:16:35 PM »
Have you made an update allready? Avast has (had?) some problems with Win98, but the newest Version (Build172?) solves some of them.
MfG Ralf

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2003, 09:02:07 PM »
Thanks, raman.  You're right that build 172 should solve most of the Win9x issues... ;)

Anyway, what is the MUSH client (Pueblo/Smial)?? And what does it mean won't run?  ???

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

zymurguy

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2003, 02:44:30 AM »
Build 168 seemed to fix several problems with Win ME, but they're back with build 172.  Whenever I launch Windows Explorer, it hangs.  If I hit Ctl-Alt-Del, I see that Avast is not responding.  I've also had problems with my print spooler from Office 2k.  I wonder if any of the fixes got overwritten with the new release...

PSandusky

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2003, 05:57:59 AM »

Anyway, what is the MUSH client (Pueblo/Smial)?? And what does it mean won't run?  ???

Smial is the specialized version of Pueblo I use to connect to Elendor MUSH (mush.elendor.net). It's a telnet client made with a bunch of extra bells and whistles that MUSH code is designed to employ.

And by "won't run" I mean, literally, that the software will not run. It will start up and freeze in startup until Avast! is cleared from memory. Not kidding.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2003, 08:03:22 AM »
zymurguy: are you sure you're using build 172? I mean, it's pretty hard to believe that it actually works worse on your machine than build 168, as the changes really are just real bugfixes, and the improvement from 168 to 172 has been confirmed by a number of users. You may want to try to reinstall the program, i.e. download the latest setup (that will be v. 172 now) and do a clean install. There could be a problem with the update process from 168 to 172...

PSandusky: what kind of application is it [DOS/Win16/Win32]? Is it possible for us to download it? From where?

Thanks,
Vlk

PSandusky

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2003, 11:11:54 AM »
It's Win32, as far as I know... You can download Smial at the Elendor website (i.e., www.elendor.net) or you can get Pueblo at its website at SourceForge (pueblo.sourceforge.net/pueblo/index.php).

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2003, 12:14:35 PM »
Interesting... I downloaded it (version 0.2c), installed - but don't see any problems (I tried it under Win98). In which stage does it hang on your computer? It's true that I was unsuccessful when trying to actually connect to Elendor, but that's probably not related to the problem...  ???

Vlk

zymurguy

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2003, 12:21:25 AM »
vlk, sorry for the delay in response, but I verified my version as build 172, uninstalled, then reinstalled with a fresh build 172 setup.  I still have problems that seemed to be fixed with build 168 -- when I launch win explorer, the animated Avast icon in my system tray starts to rotate and stops as my WinME machine hangs.  If I stop Avast, I can launch win explorer with no problem.  Has anyone else reported this?  Is there anything else I should try?