Author Topic: AVast for Linux Issues  (Read 11864 times)

MsCuddles

AVast for Linux Issues
« on: October 23, 2004, 04:51:01 PM »
Greetings,

First of all, I have been a long standing user of the AVast for Windows, in fact, being a Moderator on the "Knoppix.net" Linux forums, I recommend your program to anyone still using any version of Windows...

My problem is that I have "migrated" to a Debian Sid version, known as "knoppix", and have abandoned all runnings of Windows. ( This includes my previous registered version of AVast for Windows account )

So, having found out that the AVast I have so loved all these years, now has a version that works in my current OS, is getting me a little more excited. Being a home user, and previously as well, can one obtain the same "priveleges" for a "home" account, but with the "Linux" version as well ???

If AVast works, as it did in Windows, I am quite sure that "I" will be giving it praise and recommendations through the forums I am moderating. Considering that AVast is about the ONLY anti-virus software for Windows that is "free" to the home owner ( personal ), this being moved into the "Linux" community, hopefully, with the same conditions, will only increase the usability, functionality, and market share, of your product...

Now, on to the questions...

Debian uses a package manager to get applications, called "apt-get". I assume that this is not the way I am going to get this product, and that, the "fall back" method is to download and compile the program through source code ? ( am I correct? )

Considering the "security" of Linux is already pretty strong, does AVast take advantage of this, or does it ( possibly ) just make it less ?

Does AVast "secure" the Linux OS on its own terms, or does it just look like, and run like, a Linux version of a Windows application ? I guess what I am saying is, that Linux has its own file structure, and protections, which are not the same as in a Windows OS, does AVast look for those things perticular to Linux, or does it just look for those found in a Windows OS ?

If AVast is as good as it was in my Windows OS, but now does everything for protecting my Linux, you got me back again :)

Offline Vlk

• Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:AVast for Linux Issues
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 09:42:32 AM »
1. The current version of avast for Linux is meant for servers. Hence the pricing and the lack of a free version.

2. We should have a workstation version ready till the end of this year. It will have a KDE/Gnome GUI as well as a regular command-line scanner. Most likely, there will be a free Home version of this product as well.

3. I wouldn't say avast for Linux is just a port. It was created by people who actually know very little about Windows but have deep knowledge of Linux/Unix and therefore design the program so that it takes advantage of the underlying OS.

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

MsCuddles

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2004, 05:10:47 PM »
Thanks Vik,

One, for the quick response, and, two, for all the information :D

I will keep the site bookmarked, and keep my eyes open for this release...

I think your product is the best, and if you can get it into the "home users" of Linux, I think your product will be excellent for those of us who have used your product in the Windows World, and have another option when they might move to this other OS.

Thanks again.

sgrbrlnd

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 10:41:18 AM »

2. We should have a workstation version ready till the end of this year. It will have a KDE/Gnome GUI as well as a regular command-line scanner. Most likely, there will be a free Home version of this product as well.

...and this version should scan both Windows partition and Linux partition ...isnt'it ?
Many thanks. Regards
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 10:42:26 AM by sgrbrlnd »

Offline Vlk

• Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 10:03:40 PM »
Well it will scan whatever volume (file system) is mounted. This includes fat, ntfs, samba, nfs etc...
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Germanium202

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004, 04:12:49 PM »
Greetings,

First of all, I have been a long standing user of the AVast for Windows, in fact, being a Moderator on the "Knoppix.net" Linux forums, I recommend your program to anyone still using any version of Windows...

My problem is that I have "migrated" to a Debian Sid version, known as "knoppix", and have abandoned all runnings of Windows. ( This includes my previous registered version of AVast for Windows account )

So, having found out that the AVast I have so loved all these years, now has a version that works in my current OS, is getting me a little more excited. Being a home user, and previously as well, can one obtain the same "priveleges" for a "home" account, but with the "Linux" version as well ???

If AVast works, as it did in Windows, I am quite sure that "I" will be giving it praise and recommendations through the forums I am moderating. Considering that AVast is about the ONLY anti-virus software for Windows that is "free" to the home owner ( personal ), this being moved into the "Linux" community, hopefully, with the same conditions, will only increase the usability, functionality, and market share, of your product...

Now, on to the questions...

Debian uses a package manager to get applications, called "apt-get". I assume that this is not the way I am going to get this product, and that, the "fall back" method is to download and compile the program through source code ? ( am I correct? )

Considering the "security" of Linux is already pretty strong, does AVast take advantage of this, or does it ( possibly ) just make it less ?

Does AVast "secure" the Linux OS on its own terms, or does it just look like, and run like, a Linux version of a Windows application ? I guess what I am saying is, that Linux has its own file structure, and protections, which are not the same as in a Windows OS, does AVast look for those things perticular to Linux, or does it just look for those found in a Windows OS ?

If AVast is as good as it was in my Windows OS, but now does everything for protecting my Linux, you got me back again :)

1. Debian won't provide proprietary code through apt-get, so no, you won't get it through apt-get.

2. Linux isn't really "safer" than any windows machine except for the default install and the Netfilter pack included in the kernel, i doubt Avant would make use of Netfilter though.

3. A file is a file is a file, it doesn't matter what OS you use, the information is still the same and scanning it works the same way on all filesystems and operating systems.

When running Linux (really goes for ALL OS's) use a very restricted account and sudo for specific tasks (that way, ANY malicious code can only infect your own home directory), use the tools provided (Netfilter) and know your system.

Until Avast releases a free version, check out clamav.