Author Topic: Online Armor free and Avast! free  (Read 6381 times)

salmarcin

Online Armor free and Avast! free
« on: December 17, 2011, 04:22:50 AM »
I'm having trouble with Avast! free and Online Armor free. I (maybe foolishly) installed OA first. Then downloaded Avast! I uninstalled the McAffee that came with my Acer Aspire One netbook. I installed Avast! next, but I keep getting "Unsecured" in the Avast! window. When I try to "Fix now," I get an OA popup, which I allow, but Avast! never starts its shields. Thanks for any help you can suggest!

I totally forgot to give my OS: running Windows 7 Premium 64 bit. AMD C-60 (dual core 1gHz) with 4gbs RAM.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 04:27:07 AM by salmarcin »

true indian

Re: Online Armor free and Avast! free
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 04:25:44 AM »
get rid of ZA...its a piece of junk..bring comodo ...

salmarcin

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 04:28:24 AM »
I agree. But I'm using Online Armor, not Zone Alarm.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 04:42:51 AM »
 ::)

« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 07:51:37 PM by rdmaloyjr »

Gargamel360

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 05:58:52 AM »
get rid of ZA...its a piece of junk..bring comodo ...
ZA is the best fw!  Comodo is junk!  Right now I'm using OA fw as the new version of ZA has a couple of bugs.
I plan to return to ZA soon.
FUD puppies.... ::)

Also totally OT, no help at all for OP.

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 07:18:10 AM »
After the uninstallation, have you tried to run the removal utility for your older AV? Remnants create conflicts too, so get rid of them. Please use Windows Safe Mode to run it.

Then delete the firewall rules related to avast. Reboot, and avast will try to connect. The firewall, in "learning mode" or equivalent, should ask you for permission and so you can rebuild the correct updated rules again.

After the "fix"  or repair of avast, you need to reboot before retesting the results.

Please report back, so we can give you additional instructions if necessary.

zam

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 08:35:28 AM »
After the uninstallation, have you tried to run the removal utility for your
older AV? Remnants create conflicts too, so get rid of them. Please use Windows
Safe Mode
to run it.

Then delete the firewall rules related to avast. Reboot, and avast will try to
connect. The firewall, in "learning mode" or equivalent, should ask you for
permission and so you can rebuild the correct updated rules again.

After the "fix"  or repair of avast, you need to reboot before retesting the results.

Please report back, so we can give you additional instructions if necessary.
I wonder if this might be behind the problems I've been having with the avast icon
not showing up in the user account?

I had been using avira and only uninstalled it before installing avast.
But I'm wondering where to find the uninstall utility?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 08:38:22 AM by zam »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 11:05:51 AM »
After the uninstallation, have you tried to run the removal utility for your older AV? Remnants create conflicts too, so get rid of them. Please use Windows Safe Mode to run it.

Just letting you know that the McAfee removal tool is not to be run from safe mode as with most removal tools, the uninstall of security programs is first to be done from remove programs then reboot and run the removal tool and reboot again, running these tools in safe mode will fail to remove parts of the application as certain parts of windows are not accessible from within safe mode and the removal tools will not be able to clean properly.
Always read the info for the removal tools before running the tools http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

Tetsuo

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 11:30:00 AM »
Hello salmarcin, I'm an OA user. You should follow ady4um's suggestions (and craigb's) about the removal utilities for your older AVs.

As for OA & Avast!, I suggest that you exclude Avast! in OA before installing Avast!. Then you could turn on OA's Learning Mode (providing that you are completely sure that your system is clean, with no malware) during the installation process or alternatively you could turn OA completely off (but only after having set the aforementioned exclusion and if you are completely sure that your system is clean, with no malware).

I would also recommend excluding thoroughly OA in Avast!.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:17:22 PM by Tetsuo »

true indian

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 05:43:11 AM »
Comodo is good enough for a user by myself i use it...D+ the strongest HIPS and powerful as a second line of defence  ;D ::) :P

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2011, 05:51:02 AM »
Comodo is good enough for a user by myself i use it...D+ the strongest HIPS and powerful as a second line of defence  ;D ::) :P
Your on a roll today aren't you  ::) more useless information, the topic is about online armor with avast, no one cares about your comodo  >:(