Author Topic: Gmail IMAP Invalid or Missing SSL Certificate Error...  (Read 17673 times)

sboydman

Gmail IMAP Invalid or Missing SSL Certificate Error...
« on: December 27, 2011, 06:16:09 PM »
With the latest beta, I am receiving a Gmail IMAP Invalid or Missing SSL Certificate Error...
I have had to remove "imap.gmail.com" from my Mail Shield SSL preferences list to stop the error, but I would prefer to use the encrypted imap setting.

Any help would be appreciated.

Otherwise, the latest beta has been terrific.

Thanks

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Gmail IMAP Invalid or Missing SSL Certificate Error...
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 07:49:53 PM »
There should be more info in the system log (/var/log/system.log), can you please post it here? What version of Mac OS X do you have? On 10.6 and 10.7 the certificate of the authority that signed "imap.gmail.com" is included in the "System Roots" keychain by default, so it should work "out of the box" (and it works so for me).

sboydman

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 06:03:39 AM »
Based on your email, I copied "imap.gmail.com" from my Login chain to my System chain. Note that there is no entry in "System Root" for gmail, nor can a certificate be copied to "System Root" --- a dialog states that it cannot be modified.

Nontheless, copying into System seems to have worked, and I am not seeing the notifications any more, at least for now.

I have attached my System Log file in zip format for your review --- remove the extra "log" extension to unzip.

Thanks for your help.

sboydman

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 08:22:57 AM »
And by the way, I'm using OS X Lion 10.7.2

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 05:57:53 PM »
Note that there is no entry in "System Root" for gmail

The certification authority that signed the SSL certificate of imap.gmail.com is Equifax Secure Certificate Authority which is in the System Roots keychain of my 10.6/10.7 systems.

nor can a certificate be copied to "System Root" --- a dialog states that it cannot be modified.

Yes, You can't modify "System Roots". That's why we also search the "System" keychain which is user modifiable to check for the certificate.

sboydman

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 06:15:19 PM »
Understood, but it still doesn't seem to explain the initial problem...

Rees_A

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 01:38:56 PM »
Hello,

I also get this issue and have not been able to resolve it by manually altering my keychain. I also get the issue trying to connect to an Outlook exchange server. I have a reasonable understanding of computers but am certainly not an SSL expert so don't really understand why this is going on and need some clearer instructions on how to resolve it. I was able to put all my imap servers easily into the Avast SSL settings but this doesn't resolve anything and I have had to remove them and give up for the time being after trying the keychain.

Thanks

tiny_chicken

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 09:09:32 PM »
I just upgraded to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion and had the same issue when I opened Mail.  I followed the instructions above and it seems to be fixed.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 09:11:15 PM by tiny_chicken »

bennytwostep

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 02:20:38 AM »
I'm still having this issue on OS X 10.7.2.  The Equifax Secure Certificate Authority certificate is in place, but imap.gmail.com keeps throwing invalid or missing certificate errors in mail shield.

Offline tumic

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 11:11:57 AM »
I'm still having this issue on OS X 10.7.2.  The Equifax Secure Certificate Authority certificate is in place, but imap.gmail.com keeps throwing invalid or missing certificate errors in mail shield.

Look into the system log (/var/log/system.log) for more details about what's wrong and post it here.  Gmail accounts should normally not need any keychain actions to work with the avast! mailshield.

bennytwostep

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 06:14:23 PM »
Problem solved.  I was having this issue with all of my servers.  Every server I entered, despite the fact that there was a certificate present, was returning an error.  Just for kicks, I tried entering the server without the "imap" prefix.  So, instead of using 'imap.gmail.com', I just used 'gmail.com' for the SSL server.  It returned different IP addresses for the servers.  I did this for each account and have had no errors since.  Everything is syncing properly, including iCloud.  The only thing that isn't working is sending email with the iCloud @me.com account, but I don't think that issue is related.  Notes and everything else, however, are syncing fine across all accounts.