Author Topic: smtp tls problem  (Read 7063 times)

muffinimal

smtp tls problem
« on: November 24, 2004, 11:33:15 AM »
Hi,

I read several problems which more or less are about the same thing: secure connections. However, none of them seem to be about SMTP over TLS. I use TLS to send my mail and it stopped working since, presumably, the last update.

This really kinda sucks. The only thing I seem to be able to do is shut down the mail scan provider. Not a thing I am keen on doing. And to make matter worse, this does not always help. Sometimes my mail still doesn't come trough to the server. Very weird.

I was hoping to resolve the issue easily by unchecking the 'scan outgoing mail' option in the smtp-tab in the custom screen of the mail section, but this doesn't help at all ;-( I can't figure out why. I have checked to show an icon in the systray when something is processed and for some reason my smtp-server does show up there. It seems the on-access thingy is ignoring my wishes.

Also, pausing the on-access provider does not help at all. I need to stop/terminate the mail-provider to be able to send mail.

I am using WinXP-SP2 (had the same problem on Win2k btw) and I use Mozilla Thunderbird 0.9 as a client. Since I am using a localised version I might have messed up the names for options and things in the programs. Sorry for that.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Martin

Delta

Re:smtp tls problem
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 07:21:43 PM »
Hi, all I've got is some questions and no answers, sorry.
Can you send emails across an unsecure connection without any problems?
Have you read your isp's faq regarding sending and receiving emails (if they have one).
The reason I ask this is because the fault may not be with Avast but your isp.

Delta.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 07:23:34 PM by Delta »

muffinimal

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 10:01:59 PM »
Hi Delta,

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it a lot, even it are questions ;-)

So, here for the answers:
 - mailing over an insecure connection works. This is sending and receiving. I only described having a problem with sending, btw. This is since I don't have a secure server for receiving secure mail :-(
 - I haven't read the faq of my isp, since I don't use any of their servers... And I doubt wether they have one.

It's quite likely that my problem is with avast, since:
 - all worked and stopped working after an update a while ago
 - I have no problems when I shut down the avast mail provider

I hope my answers help.
Thanks again,
Martin

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 02:54:58 AM »
Sorry to jump here...
In fact, I do not know enough about TLS connections.

But are you using the last build of avast? (4.5.531)

More informations here: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=9007
The best things in life are free.

muffinimal

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2004, 10:06:41 AM »
Currently I am not at home. And I donĀ“t know when I will be, so I will guess my answer: I never manually updated. Every once in a while the scanner tells me it has installed a new update, so I guess I am using the latest stable build.

When I get home I'll check my version.

Hope this helps,
Martin

Delta

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2004, 07:24:59 PM »
This is since I don't have a secure server for receiving secure mail :-(

Hi, yet another stupid question, does this mean you have your own mail server? If not then who is your email server?
I'm sorry but I have to admit that I thought that your isp was having trouble with secure connections. ::)
If you do have the latest version of Avast then perhaps the  update didn't install properly so maybe a repair would help.

Sorry I can't be of more help,

Delta.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 07:31:31 PM by Delta »

muffinimal

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 09:07:04 PM »
Thanks for the replies again, Technical and Delta,

Technical - It turns out I am not using the last version of avast. I presume the 4.5.531 build is a beta? When I manually clcik the update thingy, the scanner tells me I am using the last version. I am not sure whether I want to go beta with the scanner. I don't have a lot of time at the moment, so I guess I'll have to wait for a stable release. Thanks for pointing out something is being done about these problems, though.

Delta - It does not quite mean I have my own mail server. My primary mail server is an IMAP server from my university and my smtp-server is from a friend a mine. His proved to be more stable than the one provided by my ISP... I think the install did run properly btw. I am not running into other weird problems other than the one described in this thread.

Thanks for your time,
Martin

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2004, 12:53:01 AM »
It turns out I am not using the last version of avast. I presume the 4.5.531 build is a beta? When I manually clcik the update thingy, the scanner tells me I am using the last version. I am not sure whether I want to go beta with the scanner. I don't have a lot of time at the moment, so I guess I'll have to wait for a stable release. Thanks for pointing out something is being done about these problems, though.

Martin, is promised for tomorrow (26th November) a new build of the program.
Today the only way to solve a lot of problems is going to the beta version.
Do not fear: stable, solves lots of problems, working like a charm...
The best things in life are free.

muffinimal

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2004, 10:31:27 AM »
Woohoo! Can't wait!

I'll try not to fear  :o

Woohoo! for avast!

muffinimal

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 02:00:31 PM »
(ech? Never mind... Need to do some research first before posting again about this)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2004, 02:08:37 PM by muffinimal »