Author Topic: Grayscale notification icon  (Read 4635 times)

yhrn

Grayscale notification icon
« on: February 16, 2012, 08:20:54 AM »
Hi guys,
Thanks for a really impressive app! I have read a bit about the notification icon in this forum. I understand why it's there so I'm prepared to leave it there even though I dislike status bar clutter. However, I think it would look a lot nicer if the icon was grayscale instead. Right now it just screams for attention (I'm using a dark theme). Not a big issue but maybe you could make the icon color configurable?

Regards

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Grayscale notification icon
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 10:38:45 AM »
Hi,

it is actually pretty hard (if not impossible) to make the notification icon color really configurable. You can apply color filters to probably everything in your own UI, but you can't do that with the notification icon. We would have to draw the icon in every possible color to make this possible.

Filip

yhrn

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 10:45:28 AM »
Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply. I didn't think it was that difficult since I've seen other apps do it (including GoSMS, which I know you love  ;)). Anyways, wouldn't a grayscale icon as the only choice better better then? I mean isn't that the official design recommendation for notification icons?

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 10:52:03 AM »
It kinda is, yes. The whole notification icon stuff is still a subject to change hopefully so the looks of the icon might change as well with it, but no promises (also can't tell you when that will be).

Filip

yhrn

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 10:57:11 AM »
Cool. Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question and keep up the good work.
I'll stop nagging you now :).

MrRAlan

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 11:58:23 PM »
I agree that there should be a change to the icon.  The left side of the notification bar is for notifications.  The icon should be on the right side along with signal strength, battery meter, etc.  If it could look just like one of those icons in size and color that would be great.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 09:48:55 AM »
Did you see any application that puts its icon to the right side?

Filip

MrRAlan

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 10:56:08 PM »
Yes I did.  I can't find it right now but it was offered in the options as a choice.  I'll keep looking and post back when I find it.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 08:54:36 AM »
That would be great, thanks!

Filip