Author Topic: Error 451  (Read 7666 times)

KenEisman

Error 451
« on: December 28, 2011, 03:37:23 PM »
Beta build 35889, OS X Lion Server

When first starting Avast, I get
Error
Engine Error: Two Unix listeners with the same path.
Error Code 451.

When attempting to run a full scan, I get "interrupted with Error 451."

Any ideas.

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
Re: Error 451
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 06:05:05 PM »
Beta build 35889, OS X Lion Server

When first starting Avast, I get
Error
Engine Error: Two Unix listeners with the same path.
Error Code 451.

When attempting to run a full scan, I get "interrupted with Error 451."

Any ideas.
Hallo,
this is quite interesting.

The error just says that someone (your GUI process) needs a scanning socket, asks the scanning service for this socket, but the service knows that it's already there.

So, please, have a look at:
1) your home directory, subdirectory Library/Application Support/Avast - is there scan-xxx socket?
2) presumably, such socket exists, so check whether it works: telnet "path to the socket" - will you get a banner?

Seems that for some reason application can't connect to the socket, although it's present in the filesystem and "ok" from scanning service's pointof view...
Also, file /var/log/daemon.log might be interesting for us, at least it's tail (tail -1000 /var/log/daemon.log >log_tail.txt).

This is very first time when someone reports such flaw, isn't there something unusual with the account (special acces control lists, some special software that influences filesystem, or other antivirus)?

regards,
pc

May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

UKEvilHomer

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 10:10:02 AM »
Hi

I have the same error even when I uninstalled and re-installed.

The issue arose when I moved my home folder to a different drive (formatted ExFAT) so I could share home folder / documents etc with my Bootcamp Win 7 install.

For some reason my Library/Application Support/Avast is empty?

Offline zilog

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • or #f0; daa; add a,#a0; adc a,#40
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 01:02:21 PM »
Hi

I have the same error even when I uninstalled and re-installed.

The issue arose when I moved my home folder to a different drive (formatted ExFAT) so I could share home folder / documents etc with my Bootcamp Win 7 install.

For some reason my Library/Application Support/Avast is empty?

Well, the reason is probably that FAT/ExFAT isn't able to host unix local sockets. In general, such homes are inferior also for other reasons (lack of posix-like acess control rights), and there are many other ways how to access data from bootcamped OS (HFSPlus Explorer, dedicated driver that BootCamp offers, for example), but we'll fix this particular issue in the next release anyway.

regards,
pc
May's Law: Software efficiency halves every 18 months, compensating Moore's Law. (David May, INMOS)

KenEisman

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 10:10:32 PM »
Hallo,
this is quite interesting.

The error just says that someone (your GUI process) needs a scanning socket, asks the scanning service for this socket, but the service knows that it's already there.

So, please, have a look at:
1) your home directory, subdirectory Library/Application Support/Avast - is there scan-xxx socket?
2) presumably, such socket exists, so check whether it works: telnet "path to the socket" - will you get a banner?

Seems that for some reason application can't connect to the socket, although it's present in the filesystem and "ok" from scanning service's pointof view...
Also, file /var/log/daemon.log might be interesting for us, at least it's tail (tail -1000 /var/log/daemon.log >log_tail.txt).

This is very first time when someone reports such flaw, isn't there something unusual with the account (special acces control lists, some special software that influences filesystem, or other antivirus)?

regards,
pc

Thanks for the reply.
The Library/Applications Support/Avast directory is empty. And the folder icon has a small red circle with a white bar (like a no entry sign) in the lower right corner.

This is a Lion *Server* installation. When I install Avast on a regular Lion install, it works fine. I don't know if that could be the problem or not.

Also, I'll try to get the log and post it here. (I'm still learning OS X/Unix commands!!).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 10:13:16 PM by KenEisman »

KenEisman

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 10:39:29 PM »
log attached

KenEisman

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 11:19:40 PM »
I've discovered some new information.

Avast runs fine when I'm logged in as a local administrator (haven't tried a local standard account).

The problem occurs when I log in with a network account (This Mac is joined to a MS Active Directory network.) The account I log in is a domain admin account and I have allowed domain admins to administer this Mac via the Directory Utility.

KenEisman

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 03:26:08 PM »
bump

Offline mity

• Avast team
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
bump

It is already fixed in our SVN, so wait for next public build.

Regards,
mity