For all those playing with Ubuntu for the first time, here is how you do it (from a fellow Linux noob);
1) Fire up Ubuntu. (I have just installed 11.10 64bit and I am assuming you have a working Internet conntection)
2) Click on the Dash Home icon (on my install, this is the black one with white circle at the top of the icon menu)
3) In the Search bit, type the word Terminal - you'll type the first three letters when some icons appear below.
4) Click on the Terminal icon that has appeared at the left, below. (The black one looking like an old DOS prompt)
5) You will then see a terminal window appear, with the blinking cursor.
6) Type the following line into that window and press Enter (you may get asked to enter your user password at some stage - just do so and hit Enter):wget http://files.avast.com/files/linux/avast4workstation_1.3.0-2_i386.deb
7) This will start downloading the package. When it has finished, type in the following and press Enter: sudo dpkg -i avast4workstation_1.3.0-2_i386.deb
8 ) This will install Avast for you. (If the download or install doesn't work, check that the package name is still current by going here: http://www.avast.com/linux-home-edition#tab4
If you are using Windows, right-click on the Deb package and select Properties - this will hopefully show "http://files.avast.com/files/linux/avast4workstation_1.3.0-2_i386.deb" and you can check you are typing in the current package name, changing as appropriate)
9) Close the Terminal window by clicking on the red 'X' at the top left of the Window and then click on the Dash Home icon like you did at the beginning.
10) In the Search bit, type Avast and you will see the blue Avast icon appear.
11) Click on the Avast icon - you will see a Registration icon appear. Click on the "Click here to obtain license key" or enter the licence key if you have already done this and have received the licence key. You can then go ahead and register/configure Avast.
I hope this helps.
JohnJust a thought; could one of you fine Avast tech bods do a quick "How to..." on YouTube please? You will win a lot of friends...