Author Topic: Avast Free - Registered, but never erceived email with license  (Read 9720 times)

hrova

Avast Free - Registered, but never erceived email with license
« on: December 29, 2011, 06:39:32 AM »
Have been using avast free for 5 or 6 years.... Current license expires December 31....

Registered for a free license here:

http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php

Did so on Monday (12/26) evening.... It said I should receive email within 24 hours...  Got no email by Tuesday evening, so I tried again, using the same link, thinking I may have made a mistake on my email address (it asks twice, so I figured it was not likely....) Now, another 2 hours later and I still have not received any registration email. (NOTE: I have been checking Spam folder with no luck there either.)

I really like having the email with the license in case I need to do a complete system reinstall, so how should I proceed? Is there a known reason for the delay, or am I doing something wrong? Any other suggestions?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast Free - Registered, but never erceived email with license
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 06:44:27 AM »
The easyest way to register is through the avast interface, maintenance\registration and fill out the form, no need for emails.

Offline Andrey,pro

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Things happen
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 06:53:37 AM »
Hi,hrova!
Which mail server do you use?yahoo or other?

hrova

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 06:59:09 AM »
I tried to register using a yahoo.com email address.

I understand I can register directly through the program, but prefer the register via email method. It has worked for years and I can't figure out why I am having troubles now....

Offline Andrey,pro

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Things happen
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 07:01:31 AM »
The easyest way to register is through the avast interface, maintenance\registration and fill out the form, no need for emails.

+1 ;)

I have used gmail.com email,all was perfect :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 07:11:50 AM by Andrey,pro »

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 07:59:11 AM »
I tried to register using a yahoo.com email address.

Was this same address used before for Avast Free registration?
If Yes -> http://www.avast.com/resend-license-free-antivirus.php
If No -> http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php

You should also review the antispam settings in your yahoo email account.

I understand I can register directly through the program, but prefer the register via email method. It has worked for years and I can't figure out why I am having troubles now....

It still works (if there is no temporary problem), but the built in method should be quicker and simpler. There is no reason not to use it (again, except for some temporary problem).

Of course, the built in method is valid for the latest version of Avast Free, currently version 6.0.1367. If you are still using v4.8 (for Windows 9x/ME), then that's another story.

hrova

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 09:06:10 AM »
I have tried using the resend license link. It sends an email that says it does not recognize the email address.

As mentioned in my initial post, I have used the registration link you also mentioned. Also, as mentioned, I have been checking my spam folder. No luck....

I am using the latest avast that you mentioned.....

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 09:23:42 AM »
You could save yourself alot of wasted effort if you just registered through the UI  ::), as i mentioned already there is no need for license keys and emails.

ady4um

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 12:48:45 PM »
I have tried using the resend license link. It sends an email that says it does not recognize the email address.

Read again my previous post. In addition to what craigb posted, I posted an additional link there.

So, at least 2 full solutions are posted in this topic. If you want to follow the suggestions, good for you.

hrova

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 04:44:41 PM »
I posted an additional link there.

Read my original post along with my reply to your first post. I have already tried both the links you suggested.

Rather than work arounds and advice I have already tried, does anyone know the actual answer to why avast is not sending the registration email?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 05:54:49 PM »

Rather than work arounds and advice I have already tried

Did you actually try the method i suggested ? The method i suggested is not a work around and is the prefered way to register avast, the route you are trying is the work around  ::)

Dont know why the email doesn't work for you, maybe you put in an incorrect or old address to what you had previously used, who know's  ??? the fact of the matter is your problem would have been solved hours ago if you just did the registration through the UI.

bbottle540

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 05:56:22 PM »
Well I too have a thread on re-registering

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=91178.0

Early on I did attempt the registering through suggested UI'

That would NOT work. When I clicked on register,nothing happened.

Then opened a ticket..no good answer.
Placed a call to HELP phone...no English spoken.

Registered to post on this forum.Dave told me to do the offline e-mail for key. Looks like this OP never got an e-mail reply.

And alas,now my AVAST is expired!!!

Really not sure if my e-mail today is same as the one I registered with before.

Tried clicking on your links for yes and no e-mail info..keep getting server not found!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 06:08:02 PM »
Click on Maintenance, than Registration for online registering.
1) Open Avast.
2) Click on "Maintenance" then "Registration".
3) Fill out the form for your license key and click "Submit".

Inserting the license key into: avast! Free Antivirus, avast! Pro Antivirus and avast! Internet Security.

If that fails, I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
The best things in life are free.

ady4um

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 06:31:31 PM »
Tried clicking on your links for yes and no e-mail info..keep getting server not found!

To be clear, do you see the "server not found" error when just opening the web page, or after sending the data?

For the Free edition of avast, there is no point on discussing all this issue, as we are all common users and we don't have access to avast email system. If, for some reason, the email is not sent at all, then we can't really help, and we would need some Avast Team member for more details.

BTW, the links I posted are for the Free edition only. I already mentioned this before, but it is worth repeating as more than one user is now complaining about the same issue in this topic.

For the paid - for editions (Avast Pro / AIS), there are more direct and effective ways to resolve this, but that's OT here.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 06:40:33 PM »
The sending of the free email license works fine, i thought i would try it with all these complaints and it was only 10 min's after applying for it that i then recieved it in my mail so i dont know what you's are doing wrong.
See pic

Copied from the other similar thread.