Author Topic: trouble with firewall  (Read 8319 times)

tronje

trouble with firewall
« on: November 26, 2004, 02:23:51 PM »
Hello
having changed from AntiVir to avast 4 home , i was very pleased with the system especially that the updates are done automatically , with AntVIr i had to do this manually.
one problem occured though.
i installed the firewall SYGATE and all hell broke loose.
evidently the virus scan did not like the sygate firewall , the computer went off at numerous occasions and in addition i got several messages that "an attempt "was made to install sygate.
finally i had to unistall sygate to my regret since i thought having also a firwall is the right thing.
can you pls advise if i did something wrong
maybe i dont need fiewall once i have avast ??
thank you
tronje

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:trouble with firewall
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 02:46:20 PM »
Should be fixed with the next version of Avast (4.5.439) which is sheduled for release later today.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 02:46:31 PM by Eddy »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 08:39:14 PM »
Maybe i dont need fiewall once i have avast ??

Tronje, welcome  ;)
You really need a firewall besides avast.
avast is only an antivirus.
The Sygate warnings refer to avast updates. You should allow avast in order to get updates  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Steefje

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2004, 01:41:20 PM »
Yesterday i flushed Norton and downloaded avast. After the installation the mail client (Outlook express) stopped working properly and i don't get the two icons in my traybar. When i open avast it shows 'de-activated'. When i click that i can choose from 4 protection levels. Avast reacts reeeeally slow on that. When that's done i still don't get the icons in the traybar. So i don't know if i'm protected. It seems that avast is not staying resident. I use Win 98SE on a PIII 850 system. I already had the Sygate free firewall installed and i'm using Ad-Watch from Ad-Aware.

Eddy says the Sygate thing should be fixed with version 4.5.439. I got 4.5.536beta, and i't still not workeing properly imho.

What to do? ??? ??? ??? I don't want to go back to Norton

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2004, 01:48:20 PM »
Welcome to forums...

1) Please, browse the Symantec website and download the specific uninstall tool for NAV. It will clean trash left behing by NAV (files, registry keys). You need this to proper working with avast.

2) On 'Control' in my signature you can download AEC and there is an option for Norton uninstall too.

3) Can you try to repair your installation?
    Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove
    Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).

If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again?

Steefje

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2004, 02:15:20 PM »
That was quick :o  I tried to folow your steps but:

1. There isn't a specific uninstall tool for Norton Systemworks 2005. Symantec says to use the Windows Control Panel, which i did.
2. I downloaded your EAC, and there's a tool to uninstall Systemworks, but thats for the 2004 version and does not work with Win98SE.
3. Tried that also with no result.

Now i'm gonna try the uninstall - boot - install - boot option. Let's hope it works...I'll be back...

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2004, 02:43:06 PM »
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/consumer/nav/
Uninstalls for the registry key from NAV

Steefje

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2004, 03:34:14 PM »
Thank you for willing to help me, Eddy. I used he uninstall tool you suggested, but still no result. Is there anything left i can try, besides a complete reïnstall of my system?

Neron

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2004, 04:23:06 PM »
Steefje.I had the same problem.When you install avast i msut stop ad-watch.about norton i don't know

tronje

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2004, 04:56:11 PM »

Hello technical
read your message dont understand what you mean with the following
quoteYou should allow avast in order to get updates  unquote
not clear to me.
in a recap
i have installed avast and the sygate, "after all hell broke loose " i quickly uninstalled sygate in order to continue working on the computer at all.
are you now saying i should install sygate again ??
having allowed the avast updates ?
thank you for your advice
tronje

Maybe i dont need fiewall once i have avast ??

Tronje, welcome  ;)
You really need a firewall besides avast.
avast is only an antivirus.
The Sygate warnings refer to avast updates. You should allow avast in order to get updates  ;)

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2004, 05:19:00 PM »
Of course you need firewall installed along with your antivirus.

I was Sygate user and I never had any problems with Sygate and avast! working together. Of course, everything that Sygate asks you regarding giving permissions to avast!, withouth any doubt, all those question related to avast! permission, just give permission. You have to do that in order to let your avast! works fine.

Cheers !

EDIT: btw, if Sygate is too complicated for you, why don't you try with ZoneAlarm. Easiest firewall to set up ever. It works great with avast! installed, no problems at all... be sure (always) that you completely uninstalled previous firewall prior installing new one. Same story with antiviruses... never install another antivirus untill you completely removed the old one. That includes cleaning some registry keys as well...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 05:22:40 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Steefje

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2004, 05:21:26 PM »
Steefje.I had the same problem.When you install avast i msut stop ad-watch.about norton i don't know

Thank you, Neron! I uninstalled avast and shut down ad-watch. Then reïnstalled avast and BINGO. Thanks again, man, the frustration ends right here ;D ;D ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2004, 05:26:00 PM »
are you now saying i should install sygate again ??
having allowed the avast updates ?

I say you must have a firewall (a hardware one or a thirdy party). Windows internal firewall just blocks the inbound attacks and not the outbound connections.

When you have an installed firewall (ZoneAlarm or Outpost if you don't want Sygate), allow avast.setup to connect the Internet. If not, you won't be able to update avast.

tronje

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2004, 01:11:31 PM »
Hello Technical and SZ CRAFTEC
I followed your recommendations and installed ZONEALARM !
wow!!!
the results are perfect, no more problems and all things run smooth
combination of avast4you and zonealarm is to be highly recommended
both are extremely userfriendly and easy to understand also for NEWBIES and llamas
(although i dont know what that means but it is printed secretly next to my profileand it sounds good)
thanky you very much again and keep up the good work , its great to know that you are around .
tronje

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2004, 01:28:54 PM »
(although i dont know what that means but it is printed secretly next to my profileand it sounds good)
I took a picture of you.

LOOK HERE ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 01:29:42 PM by Eddy »