Author Topic: Is this OK in latest program build (531) ?  (Read 4721 times)

S.Z.Craftec

Is this OK in latest program build (531) ?
« on: November 24, 2004, 01:33:17 PM »
Hello Igor, Pavel, and/or Vlk... I found something strange after latest program update... see attachment please.

As soon as you start avast! main console, START button is active, and no area for scanning is selected. It should be disabled until you choose some areas to be scanned, right ?

Cheers !

EDIT: Just wanna say that it doesn't matter which of those skins you use... it happens on all of them, but I'm sure you are aware that it's something code related, not cosmetic issue...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 03:20:03 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re:New issue in latest program build (531)
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 01:42:59 PM »
Are you kidding? I spent 2 hours IMPLEMENTING this feature :)

This is how it should be. We simply have had too many questions why the button is disabled. So we enabled it and when pressed, it displays the hint. :P
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 02:20:01 PM »
Just curious, but what additional changes/updates/fixes are there in .531 compared with the 529 beta?

Knowing what exactly has been changed etc, may help the regular users/helpers of this board to provide better assistance to others.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 02:20:56 PM by Eddy »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 02:27:13 PM »
Are you kidding? I spent 2 hours IMPLEMENTING this feature :)

This is how it should be. We simply have had too many questions why the button is disabled. So we enabled it and when pressed, it displays the hint. :P

Well I'm not kidding, I just wonder what's happening, that's all. No one ever informed us about that "upgrade". It looks really strange having that button enabled and when you click on it, it says no scan area is selected... of course it's not selected when I clicked on START button first. If no scanning area is selected yet by user, logical beahviour is that START button is disabled. No point having it enabled if you can't do anything with it, right ?

Anyway, if that's how you guys think it should be, that's fine with me... but, I'm sure some people will wonder same thing, sooner or later...

Cheers !

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 02:46:27 PM »
If no scanning area is selected yet by user, logical behaviour is that START button is disabled. No point having it enabled if you can't do anything with it, right ?

I'm afraid that's logical for you or me or anyone who has used the program for some time. But if a new user has the chance to work with the avast simple UI for the first time, he/she sees a CD player design and the first thing he/she tries is the Play button. If it is disabled, he/she is confused and wonders what's wrong with the program ("it's broken"). :)

The area selection buttons are on the opposite side of the window and it's NOT clear that they must be depressed for the Play button to become enabled...

BTW this feature was in 4.5.529 as well (AFAIK)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 02:46:57 PM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 03:19:38 PM »
Yeah, from the new users point of view, that's really true. Well, you know the best... You know what's the best for users. It's just no one alarmed us about it (you see, I didn't even know that was integrated even in 529), so I thought something went wrong...

Sorry for my stupid comments...  :-X

EDIT: I just changed topic of this thread, to avoid further confusion between forum members...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 03:20:36 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

techie101

Re:Is this OK in latest program build (531) ?
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 05:43:45 PM »
Sasha,

Very observant!  It will take a bit of getting used too, but if you click on it, it says "HINT...no scan area selected".

This kind of explains what a user needs to do next.

But glad you mentioned it.  I guess I took it for granted and just selected the drive without thinking about it, but others may not.

Good point made and well taken.

;D

watchthisspace

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 03:38:21 AM »
Is the new program build (531) a BETA build?

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2004, 03:46:12 AM »
Yes, it is...