Author Topic: Virus chest  (Read 2622 times)

Olinkko

Virus chest
« on: December 30, 2011, 09:06:33 PM »
Hi!
The license of my avast Free! antivirus expired today, so I downloaded it again, but now  I' ve just realised that after doing it all the files that were placed in the virus chest have disappeared, as if I hadn´t used Avast before. Is this usual when you renew your license???

Thanks in advance!

ady4um

Re: Virus chest
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 09:09:23 PM »
What exactly you downloaded? If you are really talking about avast Free, the registration is performed from the GUI itself. There is no need to reinstall anything.

If, for whatever reason, you uninstalled avast, then the content of the chest is gone.

Olinkko

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 09:19:23 PM »
What exactly you downloaded? If you are really talking about avast Free, the registration is performed from the GUI itself. There is no need to reinstall anything.

If, for whatever reason, you uninstalled avast, then the content of the chest is gone.

I didn´t uninstall it, I just downloaded it again from this page because the license had expired and the updates wouldn't work anymore..and now it works again as usual,but the content of the virus chest has gone... ???
Is that something strange?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 09:32:15 PM »
do you mean you downloaded the program and installed it on top of the one you already had ?

if so...that is not the way you renew the licens
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 09:47:07 PM by Pondus »

ady4um

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 09:35:40 PM »
I don't know if currently some installation over the current one is supposed to delete the chest.

If the content of the chest is not there anymore, there is no way to recover it.

Whatever the case, it is clear to me that you are confussing the (renewal of the) registration for the Free edition of avast with something else.

The registration, or the renewal of it, is performed from avast main GUI -> maintenance -> registration. It is usually a very simple procedure, with the possible exceptions of the server temporarily not working, or for offline systems. For such cases, the offline registration is also available.

The free registration is required for the Free edition once a year. The updates will not be performed if the registration is not valid and current. No additional download is required to register nor to renew the registration of avast Free edition.