Author Topic: Avast & Firefox - problem?  (Read 2767 times)

kwil

Avast & Firefox - problem?
« on: December 30, 2011, 08:54:41 PM »
Hi...
I'm currently on Firefox version 3.6.25 running Win7 (64-bit) Home...
I've never had a problem opening FF until a couple of days ago. That's when I installed Thunderbird. My Avast Free version is updated daily and I've been using Avast for years without problems.
After I'd updated Avast today, when clicking on the Firefox icon (pinned to taskbar) as normal to open, nothing happens.
If, however, I then open TBird, then close it, my FF Start Page opens!
I've not added anything to FF or TBird in the way of add-ons.
The only thing that's been updated as it is daily is my Avast anti-virus.
I found that stopping Avast's 'Web Shield' component, allowed the FF Start Page to show. Clearly, though, I had to restart the Shield.
I've tried restoring my system to a different date in order to ensure TBird was not present.
These restores have loaded fine, all other programs working - but when I click on the FF icon...well....you know the rest.
This would seem to suggest Avast is causing the problem and only since after today's (30 Dec 2011) update.
Can anyone suggest what's wrong?
Many thanks

ady4um

Re: Avast & Firefox - problem?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 09:06:49 PM »
Have you rebooted after the installation of Thunderbird? And after avast's update? Any Windows Updates performed these days?

Although it shouldn't had happened, I would suggest, for now, a workaround (if the reboot is not enough).

Web shield -> EXPERT settings -> "...well known browsers only". Save and reboot.

My guess is that installing / updating FF to the latest stable 3.6.xx version and reboot should also solve the problem, and it would be much better than the above temporal workaround.

Please report back.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Re: Avast & Firefox - problem?
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 03:07:34 AM »
Just a thought...have you tried Firefox 9.0.1? It's the latest build.
Or a repair of avast? Control Panel> Uninstall> double click "avast"> scroll to repair> reboot.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.