Author Topic: downgrade back to avast Free?  (Read 60406 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: downgrade back to avast Free?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 12:41:31 PM »
This was a bit of a shock, as I do not remember EVER upgrading to the pro offer.  I left it untouched...
NOT happy with this hoop-jumping to reset. (Instructions said there was an easy revert on the PREVIOUS "free trial" which I didn't take.

The instructions only cater for those who intentionally took up the trial, they have a reversion route.

Did you happen to d a system restore at around the time this happened, as we are seeing this happen after a system restore ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Feeker

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 09:23:51 PM »
The problem must be related to system restore. I have two xp/SP3s, both recently running avast free V8 (been running avast since V5 and this is my first-ever issue). On April 22 one of the computers would go online, however browsers and email programs would not connect. I used system restore to roll back two days (April 20) and regained browser/email function. Unfortunately avast somehow morphed from the free version (1483) to a trial version (1455) that would not update and with a notice that ten days remain in the trial period. The other xp did not require going back to a restore point and is running normally with free V8. Unfortunately the xp with the dysfunctional avast is in a remote cabin with a very slow dial-up connection that results in a 7 hour download of V8, while the ISP terminates connection at 4 hours. I hope it's possible to download V8 to CD or thumb drive elsewhere and install it at the remote location.

danmcc

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 12:33:55 AM »
I am also having a similar issue with avast that may be related to System Restore. (I have Windows Vista)

Just today noticed  the red popup that my "subscription for avast! Internet Security has expired. As a result, the program will not download any further updates". And when i open the main ui, it shows avast! Pro Antivirus. BUT, I've only ever had the free version!!! Never clicked to upgrade or start a trial or anything.

I've been trying to fix an unrelated issue and have needed to use System Restore in Vista lately. So maybe those things are somehow related.

I don't suppose there is another (easier/quicker) option to revert back to the free version than to uninstall/reinstall?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 01:15:34 AM »
There isn't an easier option as the reversion infrastructure is only put in place when the used upgrades to the trial version from within the the avast free interface.

So I'm afraid it is a reinstall of the free version.

If you have to use system restore, disable the avast self-defence module first.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Feeker

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 01:51:17 AM »
Since, at dial-up speed, avast 8 is a 6-7 hour download, and as my ISP kills connections at 4 hours, will either of these metheds work for reinstallation: (1) download to CD via a machine with a faster connection and use the CD to install on the machine with the slow connection; or (2) reinstall version 5 and attempt to update? My alternatives are to purchase satellite internet or move the remote computer to a faster connection; or find an AV program that will download in 4 hours.

simpleton

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 04:08:24 AM »
There isn't an easier option as the reversion infrastructure is only put in place when the used upgrades to the trial version from within the the avast free interface.

So I'm afraid it is a reinstall of the free version.

If you have to use system restore, disable the avast self-defence module first.

This is all too pathetic that we can't revert easily. I'm off to look for another free anti-virus

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 12:43:50 PM »
Pathetic or not, that is a fact all I as an avast user am trying to do is get you up and running again again with avast free; your choice, your system.

Pings

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 01:02:03 PM »
I probably found something:

go on the avast web page: http://www.avast.com/de-de/index
than got to the support menu
there is the category licence center (http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php)
You can register a free one year licence there. And will get a licence code you will have to fill in your avast! "to run avast! after the testingperiod"

I'm still testing so I can't tell for sure, but it looks a lot like the solution.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 03:45:25 PM »
Whilst it is possible to register off-line and have the registration key sent to you, if the program has switched to the Pro trial, then there is nowhere that you can enter the free registration key in the pro trial version. This is why it is such a big hassle.

BJS7

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2013, 04:32:59 PM »
I too completed a System Restore and "discovered" that I had to activate Avast Pro, despite the fact that I always used Avast Free. Considering the fact that I have dial-up a clean install is a major hassle. Unless an official fix is forthcoming soon I'm off to another antvirus.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 04:50:48 PM »
I too completed a System Restore and "discovered" that I had to activate Avast Pro, despite the fact that I always used Avast Free. Considering the fact that I have dial-up a clean install is a major hassle. Unless an official fix is forthcoming soon I'm off to another antvirus.

Well that is your choice, but getting another AV will still require that you first download that.

mart0091

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 08:10:24 PM »
This was a bit of a shock, as I do not remember EVER upgrading to the pro offer.  I left it untouched...
NOT happy with this hoop-jumping to reset. (Instructions said there was an easy revert on the PREVIOUS "free trial" which I didn't take.

The instructions only cater for those who intentionally took up the trial, they have a reversion route.

Did you happen to d a system restore at around the time this happened, as we are seeing this happen after a system restore ?

No, no use of system restore.
I had it fixed for about a week or so, now, I'm upgraded to "pro" again, with expired licence.
It had an engine update, yesterday, and things went to shit... again.

Karolinger

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 11:21:45 PM »
Then there's no easy solution?

Offline INGBEAN

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 01:04:41 AM »
Then there's no easy solution?

Hello Karolinger!

No.
There was a bug in avast! Free V8.0.1482 and 1483 (a combination with system restore) - but it should be solved now.
So please make a clean install of the most recent version 1489.

INGBEAN

Notebook A: DELL Inspiron 8000 | Pentium III (800 MHz) | 512 MB RAM | Win 2000 Pro (SP4+UR1) | avast! Free V7.0.1474
Notebook B: MAXDATA Pro 700T | Pentium III (800 MHz) | 256 MB RAM | Win 2000 Pro (SP4+UR1) | avast! Free V8.0.1497
Notebook: DELL LATITUDE E6530 | i7-3540M (3 GHz) | 4 GB RAM | Win 7 Pro (SP1, 64bit) | avast! Free V8.0.1497

REDACTED

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2015, 01:23:17 PM »
Hi

I know this topic is very old, but I had the same problem. I upgraded to Avast Pro for one year, and then when my year subscription expired (yesterday), I was left only with the options to repurchase a Pro license. There was no option to downgrade to Avast Free.

After about twenty minutes of searching in vain for such a button, I was ready to uninstall Avast Pro and get another Free antivirus. But when I selected the "uninstall" option from Windows 7's control panel option of "Add/Remove Programs", a message from Avast popped up asking me if I really want to uninstall Avast, and by answering "Yes" it then asked me if I want to revert back to Avast Free....

So it would seem that a lack of downgrading capabilities is a common complaint that Avast chose to solve by that cumbersome route....

I hope this helps at least someone.