Author Topic: Email unable to connect to 127.0.0.1...  (Read 9047 times)

xeexee

Email unable to connect to 127.0.0.1...
« on: November 24, 2004, 09:28:19 PM »
Before you say anyhtiung read this. I search the forums and not found thiis talked about..

I been using avast for a while and like it. Tell I updated to newest version and then my email was unable to retreave.

I use a local spam filter set on a port (127.0.0.1:9999) I am alble to telnet to the port and verfied it really listioning there.

But Eudora and Outlook express will not  connect to conect to the port.

Whats  worse I uninstall avast and it still apear to be broken.  

What  this sounds like Iit not avast.. well here what i did cause i cant be without my email for very long..

I spent some tiem moving my email and stuff over to a new computer and iit after install the  new verion from online today, it broke the connection again on the new one..

uggg..  

1st computer: XP SP2  
  2nd is  ME with all curent updates ...

Any Sugestion or help to resolve this issue short of  reinstall the OS?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Email unable to connect to 127.0.0.1...
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 09:36:14 PM »
Before you say anyhtiung read this. I search the forums and not found thiis talked about
eehhhhh, take of the blindfold, there a tons of thread dealing/talking about the same issue.

techie101

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2004, 09:37:53 PM »
xe,

The problem may be in the manner that you have your email clients configured.

XP OS requires that you do not modify the email configuration settings.  Avast uses a new email scanning method which is basically a filter and does not require any change to server address.

Windows ME however, requires use of the Mail Protection Wizard of Avast, or, manual configuration to 127.0.0.1 server address and adding an appersand (#) to the username.

Much can be found in the forum on this, or you can look in the Avast Help under Manual Configuration.

xeexee

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2004, 10:10:36 PM »
Ok The chain was this:

Eudora  127.0.0.1:9999 -> K9 -> POP3 server

This chain worked under 4.1 with no problems.

Email prgram will connect to K9
Then K9 connected to the POP3 server on 110...

I sume avast was scanning the email when K( accessed the  remote POP3 server.  And yes, it would from time to time mark some message with viruss.

This was working before i updated and even when i do a uninstall of avast it is still not working.  :(  

From your reply, my setting on the XP should be working, Cause  I modified it to talk to K9.  

I can bypass the connection to K9 and loose all my anti-spam  functions..  

The problem as i see it.. after install avast or  XP or ME machine i lost the capcity for my email programs to access the  localhost  at any port configuration.

xeexee

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 10:15:49 PM »
Before you say anyhtiung read this. I search the forums and not found thiis talked about
eehhhhh, take of the blindfold, there a tons of thread dealing/talking about the same issue.

Well I agree some what.. I looked at them and most deal with old configuration need to conect top avast. I never used  any special tfor avast..  ..

The point is something is blocking email programs access to a port on 127.0.0.1 . Altho i can access the port say with telnet...  

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 10:17:55 PM »
First of all, let's split the problem in two parts. Avast handles the mail on NT based systems transparantly, on 9x / me systems it does not.

On the ME system:
- Setup the mail as if Avast isn't there
- make sure the mailscanner section in avast4.ini looks simulair to what I have told in reply 7 HERE
- Run the mail protection wizzard
Does this solves the problem?

On the XP system:
- Setup the mail as if Avast isn't there.
Does it solves the problem?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 10:21:05 PM by Eddy »

xeexee

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 10:22:34 PM »
Ok.. I know they are seperate...

so let back to the XP system.... you say there trasparent...

Well they why it not  allowing access to a mailserver on the local machine?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 10:45:06 PM »
Can you try this:

- Create a backup of Avast4.ini
- Than change the mail section part in avast4.ini so that these settings are there:
[MailScanner]
Log=20
DefaultPopServer=
DefaultSmtpServer=
ShowTrayIcon=1
UseDefaultSmtp=0
AutoSetProtection=0
PopListen=
SmtpListen=
ImapListen=

- Setup the mail as if Avast isn't there.
- Check if the mail is working

Let us know if it helps.

xeexee

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 11:41:36 PM »
Ok,

Well  that lved the issure with outlook trying to connect.. I had to do another jump to get  Eudora to connect..  But now it seams to be working in both.

In ME all i did was run the wizard and pointed the POP3 and SMTP server to the correct one.  Even with 8 email acounts,  it uses the same pop3 and smtp for them all...

Since you guys are expirts at things... I think Microsfot may have done something or  Euroda makers did..

Did advast in older version ( and the non XP/NT install now) intercept on  a host name IE, "127.0.0.1:999" as  a host name not  127.0.0.1  port 9999?

That would explain why Eudora  did not work on XP and on ME...

The solution to get Eudora to work is to edit the eudora.ini and set the pop port  with it.  (at least in verion 6.2 )

It apears older verions of avast covered up a mistake I did in configuring and only to show it ugly head  when you change the way you do things ..

Thanks for the quick reponse and paitences with me tryig to understand why something that stops working.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2004, 11:45:07 PM »
glad to see you got it working again and thanks for letting us know. This way others can see what solution may be working for them as well.