Author Topic: "...does not implement the service" Avast Pro 6, W2K SP4  (Read 10518 times)

stevesobol

Re: "...does not implement the service" Avast Pro 6, W2K SP4
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2012, 10:04:35 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's AOL 9.0... but I'll have to check.

He only uses it for email and web browsing, so I'll see if I can convince him to uninstall it on one of the computers.

Thank you

ady4um

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2012, 10:06:58 PM »
@stevesobol,

When you tried uninstalling avast, have you tried also the specific removal utility for avast? I mean running it several times, selecting older versions of avast, including version 4.x?

I would also suggest, after the removal utility, to delete any (hidden) folders like "alwil*" and / or "avast*" that may be left over after the removal utility.

About AOL, maybe there is some uninstall for "some" resident antivirus (only), which may be conflicting with avast.

stevesobol

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2012, 10:09:36 PM »
Hello!

Are you referring to aswclear.exe? I think I did run that program, once, and afterwards, I checked the Windows registry to make sure no registry keys were left behind by the uninstaller. I didn't check for stray files.

Thanks

ady4um

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2012, 10:43:27 PM »
I mean http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility, yes. Download it again, and after the uninstall of your current avast, I would run it SEVERAL times, one for each version of avast, with reboots in between, always into Windows Safe Mode.

Of course, having 2 resident antivirus tools (whether both "enabled" or not, doesn't matter) it is indeed a problem. Uninstalling one of them (that one from AOL) is a must, and running the respective removal utility of the one uninstalled is very recommended. Partial list: http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/.