Author Topic: Heuristic warnings!  (Read 6402 times)

SCORPIONINBLUE

Heuristic warnings!
« on: November 25, 2004, 02:38:53 AM »
My internet provider is SBC/Yahoo, there is a real virus problem here and the 'great god Norton' is all but worthless!!  I stopped opening my mail in Yahoo about two weeks ago after setting up an account in Outlook and activating Avast mail scanning.  I now can say that I'm truly protected!!  I belong to about 25 different Yahoo groups and average about 100 email messages a day, one particular evening I got no less than 30 heuristic warnings about potentially infected ones.  about ten came from one sender in particular. and I was going to notify the moderator, but I don't want to start a "flame' war, so that's why I'm asking about these warnings.  I have my email provider set at normal, are these warnings truly accurate, because I just delete the message evertime the alarm goes off.  Does this mean that the sender's p.c. has some apparent infection, and that is the reason Avast is warning of potential dangers?  Just want to know what I'm talking about before presenting this issue to the group modeator.  Would appreciate a reply!!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Heuristic warnings!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 02:43:46 AM »
Does this mean that the sender's p.c. has some apparent infection, and that is the reason Avast is warning of potential dangers?

I think Mail Heuristic is just an analysis of the email itself and not a judgementa about the computer which sent the message.

Can you see the help topics:
Resident Protection: Internet Mail - Heuristic
Resident Protection: Internet Mail - Heuristic (Advanced)

Or the same pages at Outlook/Exchange provider.

Is this what you're looking for? Am I right?

The best things in life are free.

SCORPIONINBLUE

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 02:56:53 AM »
probably, will go and check that out, Thanks!!

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 08:03:10 PM »
Keep in mind that the way avast's heuristics work, certain things are flagged "suspicious" regardless of whether they're clean or not (I don't think their content is even scanned).  Any exe (or other executable) attachment, for example, no matter what it is.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2004, 08:58:29 PM »
I don't think their content is even scanned.

I think the same...  8)
The best things in life are free.