Author Topic: Is Avast hiding the backed-up files on my external drive?  (Read 1619 times)

BigBoyinMS

Is Avast hiding the backed-up files on my external drive?
« on: January 05, 2012, 01:40:44 AM »
I have an XP desktop that I had a Buffalotech MiniStation Stealth external drive attached to for backing up the desktop. I use the Buffalo supplied backup program. The desktop HDD died and I moved the external drive to my Vista laptop, installed the backup program and tried to restore the files onto my laptop. There are empty folders and some .db files but none of the actual files that were backed up are visible. I have settings in Windows to show hidden files. I know the files are on the  external drive because the files in the BackUp folder total 800 MB but the drive shows 89GB of files. I was also able to get the HDD on the desktop to work a short time. I couldn't view the files directly but I did a search and they show up in Search.
The only thing constant in the folders that I can see is there is an Avast folder in every one.
Is it possible that Avast is hiding my files in some way?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Is Avast hiding the backed-up files on my external drive?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 11:51:39 AM »
The avast folder you're seeing is the sandbox folder.
Whatever you've created/modified that was intentionally run into the sandbox will be there.

Shortly: no, avast do not hide any normal or backup file that is clean. Infected files could have been moved to avast Chest.
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: Is Avast hiding the backed-up files on my external drive?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 11:54:31 AM »
What are the exacts paths / filenames we are talking about?