Author Topic: where to download last 4.1.x release?  (Read 3079 times)

mcmillen

where to download last 4.1.x release?
« on: November 25, 2004, 04:24:39 AM »
Where can I download the last release of the home edition 4.1.x? This update to 4.5 is not working out. I have no protection right now. I tried the latest beta and it fails as well.

1) fails to delete infected attachments
2) locks up outlook for 5 minutes for each infected message
3) unable to start ashDisp.exe on a normal "user" account.

Please advise.

techie101

Re:where to download last 4.1.x release?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 05:04:22 AM »
mc,

I understand your frustration.  It seems that 4.5 isn't working out for a lot of users.
I am still fighting with it to get OE, Pegasus and Thunderbird to send mail.

I will send an email to the Avast Team and ask if 4.1 can be made available again.  I don't know what they will say, but with all the problems with email, it should be made an option to users.

You will see a post somewhere on the forum if they agree.

:-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 12:33:18 PM »
1) fails to delete infected attachments

Sure not! If you correctly set avast it will, for sure block infected attachments.
If you're talking about automatic deletion of infected attachments, well, this is another thing. Version 4.5 Home (like the 4.1) can only work in 'Silent mode' sending file to Chest (with answer 'No').

2) locks up outlook for 5 minutes for each infected message

Some users, while finding a virus, experienced this delay...
(http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=9117)
I can't find a solution in the forums yet. Sorry.

3) unable to start ashDisp.exe on a normal "user" account.

What do you mean? ashDisp.exe is the 'icon' on the system tray. I can see, run and use it in my normal (non administrator) user account in Windows XP.

After all, I can say that version 4.5 solved a lot of things due to the 4.1
I don't think the 4.1 will ever be available again and, in my opinion, there is no reason for it as the problems remains, most of all, in the user computer and not in the 4.5 version engine.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2004, 12:43:31 PM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

mcmillen

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2004, 10:34:35 PM »
1)
before the update, each incoming virus would result in the opportunity to delete the infection, which we select. the message is then cleaned, marked as infected and allowed through. in outlook, I can right click and show options to look at the message header info.

after the update,  all is the same except a right click as above will cause another virus found message which I again tell it to delete the infection and it actually does this time. subsequent right clicks on the twice cleaned message will not result in another virus found message.

based on this behaviour, I have reasonable suspicion that it is not properly blocking viruses. I could be wrong, but it is obviously broken.

2)
I looked too, no solution

3)
on my admin account, it appears to start and function.
on my user account, at login ashDISP.exe fails to initialize. running it manually also fails, no blue ball in the tray.

I have run the repair option, installed the beta with no change.

I uninstalled and reinstalled an old 4.0.x release and everything is working fine again though I would like to update to the latest functional release until 4.5.x is working properly.

I like this product and appreciate having used it for a couple of years. up until now all the updates have been flawless.

thanks,
Dave

Crazy Canuck

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2004, 12:17:39 AM »
1)
before the update, each incoming virus would result in the opportunity to delete the infection, which we select. the message is then cleaned, marked as infected and allowed through. in outlook, I can right click and show options to look at the message header info.

after the update,  all is the same except a right click as above will cause another virus found message which I again tell it to delete the infection and it actually does this time. subsequent right clicks on the twice cleaned message will not result in another virus found message.

based on this behaviour, I have reasonable suspicion that it is not properly blocking viruses. I could be wrong, but it is obviously broken.

2)
I looked too, no solution

3)
on my admin account, it appears to start and function.
on my user account, at login ashDISP.exe fails to initialize. running it manually also fails, no blue ball in the tray.

I have run the repair option, installed the beta with no change.

I uninstalled and reinstalled an old 4.0.x release and everything is working fine again though I would like to update to the latest functional release until 4.5.x is working properly.

I like this product and appreciate having used it for a couple of years. up until now all the updates have been flawless.

thanks,
Dave

Hello mcmillen.  I've been following your problems with Avast 4.5.  I, as well, have had no end of problems with my new Avast.  I have reverted back to V.1 until they have the problems resolved.  You can PM your e-mail addy and I will send it along to you, if you wish.  It's 7 megs, so you'll need broadband, probably.  Let me know.