Author Topic: need help with email  (Read 3199 times)

DC

need help with email
« on: November 26, 2004, 06:42:06 PM »
Avast 4 changes my Pop3 and SMPT settings.  I have run the Mail protection Wizard but it lets me went one email then jumps back to the 127.0.0.1 settings.

how do I fix this permanently.  OS MS ME, firewall Zonelabs.  Email outlook express.

thanks

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:need help with email
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 06:55:29 PM »
Avast needs to do that before it can scan your mail. This is only on 9x / ME systems, not on NT based systems

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 06:57:20 PM »
Avast 4 changes my Pop3 and SMPT settings.  I have run the Mail protection Wizard but it lets me went one email then jumps back to the 127.0.0.1 settings.

how do I fix this permanently.  OS MS ME, firewall Zonelabs.  Email outlook express.

thanks

What do you mean? Which avast version are you using?
The new email detection method is not available for Windows ME. The server address must stay like 127.0.0.1 in order to scanning the email.
The best things in life are free.

DC

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 10:00:34 PM »
I have OS Windows Millinium edition.  I have Avast 4.5 home edition.

I have run the mail protection wizard because I can receive e-mail but cannot send anything.  I get an error.  If I go in and delete my account and reset it with my ISP values then it works fine...but soon it goes back to the Avast settings of 127.0.0.1 for my incoming and outgoing mail.  I can no longer send an email without deleting the account and starting all over again.  It has also changed my account name adding an #mail to the address.

How do I fix this.  

DC

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 10:06:49 PM »

DC

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2004, 12:49:12 AM »
Thanks for the info, and did download beta that you suggested.  It still didn't work.  so I have been playing with different settings on different software and I think i have found the problem (fingers crossed).  I have dial-up...all that i can get out here in the Sierra Mountains.  I also have an accelerator for loading pages faster.  Seems under options in the tool section of my Outlook Express then go to Connections, then change, then settings the Proxy server is checked, but not the bypass proxy server for local addresses.  When I checked this box and then reinstalled for Avast Mail Protection everything works fine...hmmm.  Everything is set up according to avast mail protection now and is working fine...so far.  I guess this wasn't an avast problem or maybe a combination.  

Thank you for your input, i appreciate your time.  Maybe this will help others that think Avast is the problem.

Dc