Author Topic: Should 4.1 be made available again?  (Read 18264 times)

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re:Should 4.1 be made available again?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2004, 09:05:21 PM »
David,

No, I think that any copy of 4.1 must come from Alwil.

I thought that would probably be the case.

After Vlk announced that 4.5.539 would shortly be released.  Plus he didn't see the backward step to 4.1 being an option, I felt it right to remove my post so people didn't go looking.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

techie101

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2004, 09:07:42 PM »
David,

Removing your post was not necessary and sometimes can confuse an issue.

Hopefully, build 539 will cure many problems.

We will wait and see.

;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2004, 09:14:47 PM »
Unfortunately, OE still does not connect on the SMTP side, but it was only used as backup.

Techie, could you run into a DOS window:

telnet your_smtp_server 25

and see if you get the welcome message of the server?
In the place of your_smtp_server write your real smtp server address.

I think it's ok because TB could reach the smtp

Basically, we found the following issues in 4.5.523:
Windows 9x: OUTGOING mail does not work if SMTP server requires authorization

I apologize that some posts of me said there is a problem with smtp authentication and XP. It was a fault of my ISP and nothing related to avast.
The best things in life are free.

Rocker

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2004, 09:23:04 PM »
Techie 101, Technical, I agree.

Sometime ago I opened a thread asking the Alwil staff to clarify what problems can be identified, which ones remain and which ones are resolved and also still to be resolved. IMHO it would have given me (if I am alone in this) some idea of situation and exactly what problems I was fruitlessly chasing. Unfortunately that thread died a death with the Alwil staff.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=8902;start=msg73682#msg73682

quote Vlk... I believe the 4.5.536 build (availble from the sticky thread in the avast Home/Pro forum section) is already very very stable one and fixes virtually all the problems

Great, but the title of that thread is... "BETA 4.5.536 - hopefully solving many of the issues...?" ie a previous BETA was also supposed to fix problems!!!, and that isn't knocking the good work Alwil do, it is just unfortunate that it's not quiet happening as hoped.

quote Vlk... fixes virtually all the problems (except for those that are intimately related to 3rd party firewalls; that is, which are simply incompatibilities with 3rd party apps).

"Simple incompatibilities", sorry they seem like quiet important problems that are still to be resolved. Personally, I don't see the point in going from one BETA to another where there are still known issues.

I'm glad that 'some' versions work for 'some' people, but like I too have already said in a previous thread... I would like to go back to a known good, stable version until 4.5 is fully sorted.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2004, 09:29:05 PM »
"Simple incompatibilities", sorry they seem like quiet important problems that are still to be resolved. Personally, I don't see the point in going from one BETA to another where there are still known issues.

By "simple incompatibilites" I meant those that will hardly ever be sorted out simply because the 3rd party app uses a similar mechanism of working as avast and the OS was simply not designed to acommodate more than one such a component (this relates to the way the transparent mail scanner works).

Very similar situation as with other av/fw or fw/fw combinations.

To sum up, 4.5.536 fixes, to our best knowledge, all the issues we wanted to fix for now. No other program update is planned for the next month.

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Rocker

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2004, 09:41:38 PM »
Quote Vlk... By "simple incompatibilites" I meant those that will hardly ever be sorted out simply because the 3rd party app uses a similar mechanism of working as avast and the OS was simply not designed to acommodate more than one such a component (this relates to the way the transparent mail scanner works).

So Avast! will never again work with certain firewalls and possibly other app's?. Does the transparent scanner (although a good idea) warrant this kind of compatibility loss!!! or am I missing the point?.

Quote Vlk...To sum up, 4.5.536 fixes, to our best knowledge, all the issues we wanted to fix for now. No other program update is planned for the next month.

Yes fine, but there are issues "some" users want to see resolved as well as what Alwil wanted to fix. Without the list of issues/explainations which I reffered the thread to, I for one am still not confident, or clever enough, to know what the heck is resolved/on-going etc. etc. etc.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2004, 10:04:26 PM »
Keep in mind that users always have wishes, eventhough a application already is good. It's just impossible to satisfy all.

Alwil (as any other company) only have so much resources for development. And they have to pick things out that (at that point) seems to need priority.

If you agree with the choices they make, is op to you as a user. Everybody is entitle to his own opinion about that and that should be respected.

It is my opinion that Alwil is very open to their users about what they are doing and why they are doing it. There are only a few companies that do so also. That is something which really should be apriciated and deserves respect. And the interaction with their users is one of the best I have ever seen in the almost 25 years I have been working with computers. I don't always agree with Alwil, but that has never been a problem and it never will be, as long as you talk about it with eachother in a decent matter.

Now let us all get back to business and see if we can help others solving their problems.

Rocker

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2004, 10:25:31 PM »
Keep in mind ........

I think most of us already knew all that.

So the point you are making in regard to this thread was/is???

Now let us all get back to business and see if we can help others solving their problems.
And when some feel the solution for them is to go back to 4.1 !?!?.

Be those (that would like to 'roll back') right or wrong, I agree with you..  we all have choices and opinions and we should respect them all... including the opinion that reverting to 4.1 would be best for those that would like the choice.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2004, 12:47:22 AM »
Rocker, we won't agree with you that going back to 4.1 is the solution.
It will be in some cases a workaround.
I have a lot of problems and never give up on avast team. Sometimes we disagree (Vlk had to forgive me sometimes...  ;D) but we're keep working, helping and trying to do our best. You (and a lot of others) come a little time ago... Just patience. World is not perfect! Going back is thrown away a hard work of Alwil and the little we had pointing the errors or problems. I believe we can't go back just to solve some users problems.

I stayed 8 days without sending emails from 2 accounts of mine. What happened? Nothing!. After all, the fault was my ISP and not avast 4.5.
I learned a lesson: stop blaming.

Techie, sorry, I promised that I won't post that large again  ;)

Rocker

« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2004, 01:02:25 AM »
Quote Technical... Rocker, we won't agree with you that going back to 4.1 is the solution.

Technical, your longevity and knowledge on Avast! is accepted. I am not advocating reverting to 4.1 as a permanent solution, just as a temporary measure until 4.5 is proven.

Quote Technical...It will be in some cases a workaround.
As I see it, there seems to be more 'workarounds' trying to get 4.5 to work.

Before anyone feels the need to comment, I use the word 'workaround' loosely.

Quote Technical...Going back is thrown away a hard work of Alwil and the little we had pointing the errors or problems. I believe we can't go back just to solve some users problems.
Again, I am not saying abandon 4.5, just let there be a stable version (4.1) available whilst 4.5 is giving problems for some users.

The latest that Vlk said... that it is not going to work with some applications, does concern me.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 01:13:27 AM by Rocker »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2004, 01:14:51 AM »
Rocker, maybe tomorrow, 26th November, you'll get a new and perfect program update. I hope too  8)
Just update  8)

Rocker

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2004, 01:17:47 AM »
Rocker, maybe tomorrow, 26th November, you'll get a new and perfect program update. I hope too  8)
Just update  8)

Perhaps, but where is the list of firewalls and other applications that won't run with it?.

Do I now have to change other programs in order to use Avast! ?.  ??? :-\

Rocker

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2004, 01:24:46 AM »
You (and a lot of others) come a little time ago...

Technical,

I forgot this  ;) . I may be a newbie, but this thread (and request) was started by a seasoned and respected forum member ... Techie 101  8)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2004, 01:27:19 AM »
Perhaps, but where is the list of firewalls and other applications that won't run with it?
They are running with it, only certain systems have problems with it.

And isn't the SEARCH option great..... it would have brought you this > http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=9145;start=msg76210#msg76210 ;)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 01:28:56 AM by Eddy »

Rocker

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2004, 01:34:56 AM »
Perhaps, but where is the list of firewalls and other applications that won't run with it?
They are running with it, only certain systems have problems with it.

Oh and that's OK is it !!!!!!!!!

And isn't the SEARCH option great..... it would have brought you this
Yes it told me this from Vlk:-

Windows NT/2K/XP: big problems with mail in conjunction with a number of 3rd party firewalls. Namely: Norton Personal Firewall, PC-Cillin. Sometimes also Sygate, Outpost or even ZoneAlarm...

So again... what's your point ?

imho, the search option has become more of a hinderance than a help. You can find conflicting answers in just about any search you might make.