Author Topic: Should 4.1 be made available again?  (Read 18367 times)

techie101

Re:Should 4.1 be made available again?
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2004, 04:58:57 AM »
Rocker,

Please understand that many here have different opinions on how to handle a "bug" or "problem" in a program.

I am old school and sometimes would rather go back to a working build whilst I fix the new version rather than sitting with a non-working system,
BUT....
the other side of the coin is that we should always try to move forward if possible, as Technical and VLK stated.

It is a fact that not all software will end up working with all other software.  It is unfortunate but  something that we must live with.  That is why there are different vendors who make the same type of program.

We here on the forum do our best to solve unexpected problems with Avast.  I myself suffer from frustration occasionally when I can't get things to work.  Although I have a wide and varied knowledge of Avast, the Avast Team are the only ones who have the in-depth knowledge that is sometimes needed to resolve issues.

I do yield to your statement that users should be made well aware of the issues fixed by a new build or release.

Recently after updating to 4.5, I lost use of email for 3 days on all my systems.  As it turns out, I was able to restore all but one because I did not quite!
At times there is nothing you can do except Try and Try again....and then Try some more.   :D

I will be away for a few days but when I get back will try to assemble some settings and fixes that I found worked to restore my systems in the hope that the information will serve as a guide to others.

This may become a mute point if 539 fixes things.

The forum is a bunch of really good people, but at times you will find very diverse opinions.

;)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 05:02:24 AM by Techie101 »

watchthisspace

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2004, 06:39:24 AM »
Its the 26th here but no update, but I dont really need it, cause Avasts is working great here  :)

neal62

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2004, 07:50:08 AM »
Rocker, Please go HERE and see if this is what you have been asking about. If
this is what you are after all I did was type Avast 4.1 into a
reputable search engine. :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 07:53:36 AM by neal62 »

watchthisspace

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2004, 08:17:23 AM »
Please go HERE
I never knew there was a site for New Zealand and Aussie  :-[

neal62

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2004, 08:37:15 AM »
Well, I didn't either until I used the search engine for the other poster in this thread. Now you know where it is and I would put it into Bookmarks or Favorites and then you will have it for future reference. :)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 08:37:49 AM by neal62 »

Rocker

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2004, 12:39:21 PM »
Techie 101,

Quote Techie 101... I am old school and sometimes would rather go back to a working build whilst I fix the new version rather than sitting with a non-working system,
Yes, I am of exactly the same opinion, hence my posting in this thread.

Quote Techie 101... BUT.... the other side of the coin is that we should always try to move forward if possible, as Technical and VLK stated.
Also something I have openly agreed with. However, I do prefer to 'move forward' for sensible reasons and not just jump on the latest bandwagon.

Quote Techie 101... It is a fact that not all software will end up working with all other software. It is unfortunate but something that we must live with.
Hmmm...  enough said... for the sake of a quiet life.

Quote Techie 101... the Avast Team are the only ones who have the in-depth knowledge that is sometimes needed to resolve issues.
Yes... and whilst the forum and it's members are very well supported and intentioned, ultimately we look to the vendor to provide the kind of information asked for in many threads.

Quote Techie 101... I do yield to your statement that users should be made well aware of the issues fixed by a new build or release.
No need to yield :) from my point, it is only a discussion on how things might be improved for users. But it would be useful to know not only what fixes have been effected, but also what remains and what may never be fixed... by design.

Quote Techie 101... At times there is nothing you can do except Try and Try again....and then Try some more.
Well as it stands there is no more to be done than try, but... the 'trying' could be a lot easier given a little more info from Alwil.

Rocker

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2004, 12:40:19 PM »
Rocker, Please go HERE and see if this is what you have been asking about. If
this is what you are after all I did was type Avast 4.1 into a
reputable search engine. :)

Thanks for that link Neal.  I too never knew it existed.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2004, 12:56:39 PM »
The link is no-good. It's a link to the VPS (virus database) updater, not avast itself.

BTW if the new 4.5 build still has some important issues we'll likely provide you with the links to the 4.1 release.

Rocker, BTW, did you know (I mean "find elsewhere on this forum") that the mail scanner in 4.5 can be switched to the 4.1-compatibility mode (i.e. no transparent scanning, mail wizard etc) by puttin the AutoRedirect=0 value to the [MailScanner] section of the file <avast>\
data\avast4.ini?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2004, 01:14:33 PM »
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 01:15:37 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Rocker

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2004, 03:01:53 PM »
BTW if the new 4.5 build still has some important issues we'll likely provide you with the links to the 4.1 release.

Thanks Vlk. Strange as some peolple might think, I truly hope that it isn't necessary and that 4.5 settles down. I saw Techie101's thread as as useful discussion and an alternative, not a knock of Alwil.

Rocker, BTW, did you know (I mean "find elsewhere on this forum") that the mail scanner in 4.5 can be switched to the 4.1-compatibility mode (i.e. no transparent scanning, mail wizard etc) by puttin the AutoRedirect=0 value to the [MailScanner] section of the file <avast>\
data\avast4.ini?.

Yes thanks, I did know of this. For the time being I don't route the problem machine through the Wi-Fi/ICS, so it is pure stand alone.

From your earlier comments, I would be interested to know if you have a recommendation for firewalls that will be fully compatible with 4.5. I am left with the impression that choices are limited.

Note: I'm glad for everyone who has found no compatibility issue with Avast/other app's. ... I am referring ONLY to Vlk's earlier comments on the subject. Personally, I found no problem with this, but Vlk has now raised a point that I think needs clarifying.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2004, 04:14:29 PM »
If I can contribute somehow to answering your question, here it is... I'm using Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6 without any single issue regarding relation avast! Professional version-Sygate. Everything works flawlesly since the 4.1

On my other computer (wife's PC), there is avast! Home Edition working great with Outpost Freeware 1.0. No problems at all.

I used to use ZoneAlarm long time ago, but many things are changed by now, so it would be much better if I leave this to someone who has ZA installed as his/her current firewall... BoB ? Eddy ?

Cheers !

watchthisspace

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2004, 11:39:03 PM »
I'm using Sygate Personal Firewall 5.6
Cheers !
I moved from sygate 5.5 to Zonealarm and I did try 5.6 but it was crashing my computer with smc.exe using 99% of the CPU  :( But Zonealarm has been going great so far (from what I can tell)