Author Topic: Avast is slow scanning, system resources hog and horrible user interface?  (Read 81812 times)

Germanium202

Re:Avast is slow scanning, system resources hog and horrible user interface?
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2004, 05:51:32 PM »
Ok i finished my review of avast!. You can check it here:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=9703

A few pointers:

Registration: Is this for the free version? What is it you are registring for?

Installation: Screenshots would be nice, what do you mean "provider" for updates or what? Skins need to be explained before bringing it up, most users wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about. "Simple uninstall utility"? What is that and where do i find it? Isn't it basically the same thing that is shortcutted in Add/Remove? Does it use Installshield? (i would leave that part out altogether, it is unimportant.)

Interface: Which skins are available from the start? Which one is default? Is it easy to change skins? "Not to easy, but not to hard"? Have you made your own skins?

"Some users might dislike spinning "a" ball for which there is no GUI based setting to turn spinning off (yet) (only available through tweaking INI file)."???? I have no idea what that means.

"Each provider is configurable enough so it will really work as user wants." provider???

(section also needs screenshots to make it clear what sliders you are talking about)

Warnings:

"Warning popup (on virus detection) offers many options on what to do with the file." what are the options?

"avast! integrated virus cleaner is automatically recommended on detection of specific common viruses.
It's main job is to fully remove those nasty infections from files, startup and registry." how well does it work?

Updating:

"I also noticed that in process of updating i get the feeling that avast! update modul is running at High priority and mouse cursor changes into busy. Not a real problem, but might be a bit annoying to some of us." Possibly devastating to some, have you checked out how much resources are actually used? What would happen if i was in the middle of a long videoedit and it tried to update?

Scanning:

"avast! Home Edition uses around 18MB of memory if you have all providers installed (use VM Size column in Task Manager to check RAM usage of avast! components)." providers?

"On-Demand scanning is quiet fast (Standard sensitivity,no Archives), while Thorough check with archives might take longer. Still, for regular checking i suggest Standard without Archives." quiet (sic) fast? what does that mean? How long does it take?

Mail Scanning:

Support for which mail clients and servers? How well does it work?

"For MS Outlook (from Office package) you'll have to install MS Outlook\Exchange provider in order to check mail that comes through MS Outlook mail program. You also have to install specific procider for The Bat! mail client." provider? How do you install it, is it an option you get from the start or do you have to do something else?

Detection:

You haven't spent one second on perhaps the most important part? Links to the sources you mention? An objective analysis here is crucial to any review IMO.

----------------------------------

Just a few pointers and questions, remember, i have never used Avast so i have no idea what you are talking about, you have to describe it so that even an idiot (me) can understand it. ;)

Germanium202

« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2004, 05:56:27 PM »
1. The forum was not reviewed, the only thing i have really seen of this forum is a bunch of people trashing a guy for trying to make an honest review.

In fact, right now, if you did not realise, is in your opinions we're trashing and not about that honest review.

2. Compared to other AV products, the Avant UI IS odd.

In your opinion again. Note, only your not fundamented opinions are making all this noise.

3. Todays computer users have gotten used to the "for dummies" routine, very few will tweak or polish the settings of their AV program.

Your incredible right  ::)

Perhaps if you stopped being so damn defensive, this discussion wouldn't be like talking to a brick wall.

Yup, i am incredible, at least you got that right. ;D

Germanium202

« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2004, 06:02:03 PM »
I am not assuming anything, i came here for this thread alone, read it and saw what i saw.

A bunch of people scared half to death by a negative review and a lot of trashing without as much as ONE helpful hint towards the reviewer, no links, no suggestion on the tweaks, no nothing.

Again, it's because your opinions and not the review.
We're affraid of nothing. You have the onus to prove anything.
We're here before you. You're trowing trash over avast that, for your words, we can see you even do not know.

People are perhaps not claiming to be experts, but hey sure act as if they know Shadenfroh's experiences with Avast better than he does himself, which is, of course impossible. A few pointers to shadenfroh on how he could improve his review and on how to improve his experiences with Avast would have been a lot better.

You're giving Shadenfroh's experiences the value of a dogma.
We know avast and we're talking about even deeper and continuous experiences with avast.
You're not listening our posts... Why are you doing this?

Anyway, i can't believe i am still arguing about this on a forum for a piece of software that i will most probably never use anyway. heh.

Bye bye  ;D

To Shadenfroh, his experiences ARE dogma, if you dislike an interface and make a review, you are NOT going to say that you found the interface nice.

You have to understand, i don't care about your deeper experiences, it doesn't matter to me more than if you slept on your stomach or back last night, that is not why i am arguing in this thread.

I am trying real hard Ringo, but sooner or later i have a feeling that i will quote Jules. ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2004, 06:14:55 PM »
I won't lose time on your quotes to my opinions. It will be just a lose of time.

Read RejZor post. Read and learn. If you don't agree with registration, never mind, go to another antivirus program as this is your wish.

Installation: Screenshots would be nice

Ok.

Skins need to be explained before bringing it up, most users wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about.

Did you use avast just once?
Did you read the help file? It's there. You just did not read it. You don't know what you're talking about.

"Simple uninstall utility"? What is that and where do i find it?

Did you read the FAQ?
Did you browse the website?
Are you thinking you will learn everything in the world just 2 minutes after it comes to your eyes? Is this your deep knowleage about other antivirus?

Isn't it basically the same thing that is shortcutted in Add/Remove? Does it use Installshield? (i would leave that part out altogether, it is unimportant.)

No. It's not. Registry cleaning (and files left behind) if the add/remove does not work for any reason. I haven't to use it, personally, as the Add/Remove works nice for me.

Interface: Which skins are available from the start? Which one is default? Is it easy to change skins?

Only three.
Silver is one. I have some others and my installation is not 'fresh'. But you may only try to install and see.
Change the skins? Two mouse clicks... what is the difficulty?

"Some users might dislike spinning "a" ball for which there is no GUI based setting to turn spinning off (yet) (only available through tweaking INI file)."???? I have no idea what that means.

Click on 'Settings' in my signature, read, learn  8)

"Each provider is configurable enough so it will really work as user wants." provider???

Provider or modules.
Help file contains all information needed.

"Warning popup (on virus detection) offers many options on what to do with the file." what are the options?

Needs improvements on the meaning. We asked many times to them  :P
The options could be found on 'Settings' in my signature.

"avast! integrated virus cleaner is automatically recommended on detection of specific common viruses.
It's main job is to fully remove those nasty infections from files, startup and registry." how well does it work?

Website is full with this informations.

Help files. FAQ (in my signature).

"For MS Outlook (from Office package) you'll have to install MS Outlook\Exchange provider in order to check mail that comes through MS Outlook mail program. You also have to install specific procider for The Bat! mail client." provider? How do you install it, is it an option you get from the start or do you have to do something else?

Custom installation and you can choose any provider that you want.
I'm sure that you will love avast sooner or later  ;)

Just a few pointers and questions, remember, i have never used Avast so i have no idea what you are talking about, you have to describe it so that even an idiot (me) can understand it. ;)

Well, we're trying  8)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 06:16:41 PM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2004, 06:25:54 PM »
I was obviously reviwing Home Edition. Pro isn't free and never was.
If i would get into detail for each feature i would make a 10 site long review.
Who would want to read that?

Saying how fast AV is is a very stupid thing (in seconds),not to mention boot time (on machine with all the extra crap installed). Like in that review which you posted (not blaming you). My machine can check 100GB of data in just few minutes (Maxtor 200GB 7200RPM 8MB internal cache,512MB DDR RAM at 400MHz in DualChannel mode with AthlonXP 2800+).
While someone with 120GB 5400RPM,512MB of 333MHz RAM with 1,5GHz CPU can scan the same amount of files much much longer. Not to mention other factors.
Not to mention the boot time because its faster in hardware terms and how the startup is organized.

About detection part...
Google saves the day again. Ok i agree,i could give a link,but if you don't know how to use basic internet search engines,then no antivirus would help you. Sorry.
Saying score in % is stupid to me since one site with one set of test samples would give totaly different score then site 2 with virus set 2 would give another one.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Germanium202

« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2004, 06:41:05 PM »
I was obviously reviwing Home Edition. Pro isn't free and never was.
If i would get into detail for each feature i would make a 10 site long review.
Who would want to read that?

Saying how fast AV is is a very stupid thing (in seconds),not to mention boot time (on machine with all the extra crap installed). Like in that review which you posted (not blaming you). My machine can check 100GB of data in just few minutes (Maxtor 200GB 7200RPM 8MB internal cache,512MB DDR RAM at 400MHz in DualChannel mode with AthlonXP 2800+).
While someone with 120GB 5400RPM,512MB of 333MHz RAM with 1,5GHz CPU can scan the same amount of files much much longer. Not to mention other factors.
Not to mention the boot time because its faster in hardware terms and how the startup is organized.

About detection part...
Google saves the day again. Ok i agree,i could give a link,but if you don't know how to use basic internet search engines,then no antivirus would help you. Sorry.
Saying score in % is stupid to me since one site with one set of test samples would give totaly different score then site 2 with virus set 2 would give another one.

*sigh*

I am sorry, i just wondered why you would have to register, what you registred for, which is why i asked.

You made a review about Avast for Avast users, most of the time i have no clue what the hell you are talking about, WHAT is an "a" ball??????

Giving a description of your computer and comparing the scan times with other products would be nice, but it's ok, i know of another review where i can get the results.

Giving a failure rate in percentages only works if you actually TRY the product you review, then you have a failure rate to go by, next time you do a review, do that.

Germanium202

« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2004, 06:45:09 PM »
I won't lose time on your quotes to my opinions. It will be just a lose of time.

Read RejZor post. Read and learn. If you don't agree with registration, never mind, go to another antivirus program as this is your wish.

Installation: Screenshots would be nice

Ok.

Skins need to be explained before bringing it up, most users wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about.

Did you use avast just once?
Did you read the help file? It's there. You just did not read it. You don't know what you're talking about.

"Simple uninstall utility"? What is that and where do i find it?

Did you read the FAQ?
Did you browse the website?
Are you thinking you will learn everything in the world just 2 minutes after it comes to your eyes? Is this your deep knowleage about other antivirus?

Isn't it basically the same thing that is shortcutted in Add/Remove? Does it use Installshield? (i would leave that part out altogether, it is unimportant.)

No. It's not. Registry cleaning (and files left behind) if the add/remove does not work for any reason. I haven't to use it, personally, as the Add/Remove works nice for me.

Interface: Which skins are available from the start? Which one is default? Is it easy to change skins?

Only three.
Silver is one. I have some others and my installation is not 'fresh'. But you may only try to install and see.
Change the skins? Two mouse clicks... what is the difficulty?

Click on 'Settings' in my signature, read, learn  8)

Provider or modules.
Help file contains all information needed.

Needs improvements on the meaning. We asked many times to them  :P
The options could be found on 'Settings' in my signature.

Website is full with this informations.

Help files. FAQ (in my signature).

Custom installation and you can choose any provider that you want.
I'm sure that you will love avast sooner or later  ;)

Well, we're trying  8)

Shakes head.... Well, you aren't succeeding.

You see, a review that turns to those who are already using the product is kinda worthless, *I* know what a skin for a piece of SW is but my sister doesn't.

WTF does a "provider" mean, it seems it means different things in different places?

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2004, 06:53:37 PM »
avast! works for 60 days without key, so there is really no rush for serial.
You can register it any time within this period to use it beyond those 60 days (for free ofcourse). Key is valid for another 14 months.
Thats 2 months more than 1 year. Getting new key every 1 year cannot be a too big job i guess, especially when it's totaly free.
Alwil Software uses registrations as base for update servers load calculation.
This way they can always calculate how fast and how many servers they need, so they can meet the user update demands.

Kinda obvious isn't it?

Actually i would say my review is just a correction for this one.
And as i can see you haven't used avast! at all. 80% of mentioned features are almost screaming in your face when you use avast!.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Germanium202

« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2004, 07:04:37 PM »
avast! works for 60 days without key, so there is really no rush for serial.
You can register it any time within this period to use it beyond those 60 days (for free ofcourse). Key is valid for another 14 months.
Thats 2 months more than 1 year. Getting new key every 1 year cannot be a too big job i guess, especially when it's totaly free.
Alwil Software uses registrations as base for update servers load calculation.
This way they can always calculate how fast and how many servers they need, so they can meet the user update demands.

Kinda obvious isn't it?

Actually i would say my review is just a correction for this one.
And as i can see you haven't used avast! at all. 80% of mentioned features are almost screaming in your face when you use avast!.

Now that you mention it.... No, so this is the updating service i am regestring for?

You don't get it, i won't use Avast, ever, and what good is a review if it does not tell me anything i want to know about the product? i still don't know what an "a" ball is an your review is more like a copy of the product page.

The point of a review is not to push a product nor is it to trash a product, it is supposed to give the reader an objective analysis of a product if it is a single review (like yours was) or to compare the different parts of different products if it is a multi product/comparative review like Shadenfroh's was.

For me, the information is pretty much worthless, i can't recommend that to anyone when i don't know what an "a" ball is and i can't install it for myself as i am not running windows, nor am i ever planning on running windows.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2004, 07:35:34 PM »
Germanium202
everyone has one and everyones stinks". Which includes mine.
This is my second and final reply to you. The above quote from one of your replies is the first and only true statement you've made in this entire long winded, overbearing thread.
Have a nice day.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Germanium202

« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2004, 07:44:12 PM »
Germanium202
everyone has one and everyones stinks". Which includes mine.
This is my second and final reply to you. The above quote from one of your replies is the first and only true statement you've made in this entire long winded, overbearing thread.
Have a nice day.

I forgot your first one, i hope it was not as crucial and important as this one?

Walker

« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2004, 07:44:33 PM »
Germanium202

I agree with you (seriously) on the premise that you came to the forums to comment on your opinion of the review (not that I have read it) and the subsequent response here in the Avast! forum.

I didn't see you as criticising Avast!, just commenting on the way the review was critiqued here. It seems you have been dragged into something you never intended and that is a shame.

IMHO a person who writes a review from an 'out of the box' inexperienced users view point has just as much valid comment under those conditions as does an experienced user to state his/her comments opinions under those criteria.

I also agree that it would have been nice if some of the users had e-mailed, in a friendly manner, the reviewer and pointed out a few of the finer points. Perhaps,the reviewer could have also come to the forum and asked from some of the member’s advice, prior to doing the review.

Not that I often post here, but just my 2c

edit... apologies for the couple of mistakes...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 08:03:25 PM by Walker »

Germanium202

« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2004, 07:46:37 PM »
LOL, this "evangelist" thing is for real, i think i stepped into some kind of cult.

"convert to Avastism or DIE sinner!!"

You people are too amusing. ;D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2004, 07:49:42 PM »
You don't get it, i won't use Avast, ever, and what good is a review if it does not tell me anything i want to know about the product? i still don't know what an "a" ball is an your review is more like a copy of the product page.

So, why don't you look otherwise for another antivirus, be happy and let us happy  :P
If you're not trying to use avast, what are you doing here?  :P

The point of a review is not to push a product nor is it to trash a product, it is supposed to give the reader an objective analysis of a product if it is a single review (like yours was) or to compare the different parts of different products if it is a multi product/comparative review like Shadenfroh's was.

Ok, Mr. KnowsEverything. Why don't you start a new website with your own wonderful and full of knowleadge reviews?

For me, the information is pretty much worthless, i can't recommend that to anyone when i don't know what an "a" ball is and i can't install it for myself as i am not running windows, nor am i ever planning on running windows.

So, browse the web. Found the information that you need and let us in peace  8)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2004, 07:52:26 PM »
Shakes head.... Well, you aren't succeeding.

I'm just poiting to other avast users how can be possible to do even this  ;)
Like I posted in the first time, you won't survive here  ;D
You said you don't want. So, why don't you just erase your profile?
I can say how if you are not able to discover this in such this complicated, very complicated, website...  ::)

You see, a review that turns to those who are already using the product is kinda worthless, *I* know what a skin for a piece of SW is but my sister doesn't.
WTF does a "provider" mean, it seems it means different things in different places?

Read the help files and learn what is a provider.
If you thing this RejZor's review is useless, why don't you logoff avast forums anyway?