Author Topic: Avast is slow scanning, system resources hog and horrible user interface?  (Read 81784 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Avast is slow scanning, system resources hog and horrible user interface?
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2004, 02:16:15 PM »
User critique is NEVER wrong, it is just an experience and an opinion.

Oh no... User could be wrong... like you in this point  ;D
We're not blaming on the reviewer. We're just talking that reviews must be carried on with professional knowleage and not just average home user expectations. We let this for the amateurs  ;)
Like happened a lot of times before, you come here, blame on avast capabilities and then went away saying you don't need help, don't want to talk about...
Definetively for me, user CAN BE WRONG, including me  8)
The best things in life are free.

GYL

« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2004, 02:21:44 PM »
Hi! Germanium,i think we can judge only what we know.And,it's  obvious that Shadenfroh and you do not know avast.I well know bitdefender pro,it has many deficiencies for me as repairs,but i don't criticize it,because i don't want to impose my point of view to others.so respect others please!!!

Spyros

« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2004, 02:23:31 PM »
I don't entirely disagree with you Germanium202, but don't tell me that phrases like "Avast has got to have one of the worst user interfaces i have seen of the antivirus apps." is what most of the users will think. And even if they do, how can he proove it? You tell us everything should be based on facts..
And you say we shouldn't judge him like this here in the forum, we should be more kind, but obviously you don't seem to have a similar problem with your language when you use expressions like "i don't care" or "flailing your arms and throwing a hissy fit over it"

Germanium202

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2004, 02:25:59 PM »
It is to be expected that the fanboys at a forum such as this defend their product as much as they can, however, instead of flailing your arms and throwing a hissy fit over it you might be able to understand why this user got that impression and learn from it?

Haha, we are not just fanboys... see the numbers of our posts. I'm not saying like I care about that number, but those numbers can show you how long we are here trying to help new avast! users... and that's for free, even for freeware version of avast! Home Edition. No, we are not just fan boys, we also have some girls and ladies in here and I want to mention that... beacuse they are great part of these forums. We are not defending anything, we are telling the truth.  ;)

Cheers!

I am not saying you are *just* fanboys, however, this very thread is a result of fanboyism and a one sided view. (oh, and even a girl can be a fanboy, just like she can be a fireman ;))

The *truth* is that he was spot on in his review, he presented his experience and no matter how much you want to, you cannot really deny that it is his experience that, in comparison to other AV products, Avast is slow scanning, system resource hogging and has an odd interface.

Anywayz, i am done whining over this now, so i'll leave you guys to do something better than to argue with me.

Be well!

Spyros

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2004, 02:29:19 PM »
you cannot really deny that it is his experience that, in comparison to other AV products, Avast is slow scanning, system resource hogging and has an odd interface

Well, I can deny it, based on my experience!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 02:31:05 PM by Spyros »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2004, 02:29:47 PM »
The *truth* is that he was spot on in his review, he presented his experience and no matter how much you want to, you cannot really deny that it is his experience that, in comparison to other AV products, Avast is slow scanning, system resource hogging and has an odd interface.

Truth?
Please, don't make we lose time here.
We don't blame here about other antivirus program.
Let us, please. Oh, stay with your beloved BitDefender without resident  ;D

Anywayz, i am done whining over this now, so i'll leave you guys to do something better than to argue with me.

Yes, please  8)
The best things in life are free.

Germanium202

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2004, 02:30:38 PM »
I don't entirely disagree with you Germanium202, but don't tell me that phrases like "Avast has got to have one of the worst user interfaces i have seen of the antivirus apps." is what most of the users will think. And even if they do, how can he proove it? You tell us everything should be based on facts..
And you say we shouldn't judge him like this here in the forum, we should be more kind, but obviously you don't seem to have a similar problem with your language when you use expressions like "i don't care" or "flailing your arms and throwing a hissy fit over it"

Heh, i guess i'll post a few more messages.

He does not have to prove anything to anyone, as every reviewer he offers his experiences with the product compared to other products.

One of the things about user interfaces is that they should follow the convention of "look and feel" of other programs (like, your office apps, your web browser, etc.) and IMO, from what i have seen he is right about what he says.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2004, 02:31:40 PM »
you cannot really deny that it is his experience that, in comparison to other AV products, Avast is slow scanning, system resource hogging and has an odd interface.

I believe that's the problem - it was not his experience, but rather a first-look impression. OK, it may have some relevance for the interface appearance, but saying that a program is a resource hog simply by looking at a wrong column in Task Manager - that's not experience, but rather confusion.

Anyway, I'd suggest to stop this thread... it doesn't seem to bring much useful information anymore.

Germanium202

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2004, 02:34:50 PM »

Truth?
Please, don't make we lose time here.
We don't blame here about other antivirus program.
Let us, please. Oh, stay with your beloved BitDefender without resident  ;D

Yes, please  8)

It is his experience with the program, sure you can deny it, but i can promise you that he is the No1 expert in the world on that.

Heh, i don't love bdc, if something better comes along i'll use that, for now bdc does what i want it to do, i don't need it to stay resident and i can't use Avast for free as i can with bdc.

Try reading my posts.

Spyros

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2004, 02:37:49 PM »
He does not have to prove anything to anyone, as every reviewer he offers his experiences with the product compared to other products.

One of the things about user interfaces is that they should follow the convention of "look and feel" of other programs (like, your office apps, your web browser, etc.) and IMO, from what i have seen he is right about what he says.

1) I have A LOT of experiences with A LOT of programs. But I haven't made a website to trash the ones I dislike! As a matter of fact, I have a simple web-page. I just list them, and let the user choose what is right for him (OS, RAM etc).

2)So you think every application should look or feel exactly like another? If avast! looked like NAV or KAV it would be cool but now it isn't? And this is supposed to be based on facts? Oh, please...

Germanium202

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2004, 02:47:46 PM »

1) I have A LOT of experiences with A LOT of programs. But I haven't made a website to trash the ones I dislike! As a matter of fact, I have a simple web-page. I just list them, and let the user choose what is right for him (OS, RAM etc).

2)So you think every application should look or feel exactly like another? If avast! looked like NAV or KAV it would be cool but now it isn't? And this is supposed to be based on facts? Oh, please...

1. It's his website, his review, his experiences with the program, he didn't do it to trash Avast. (and he included screenshots so the user can determine for himself if he is correct).

2. the basic look and feel of applications should be the same no matter what the application is doing (most UI designers know that and follow the conventions as far as possible), the point being that the user feels at home with the application directly. I don't use NAV or KAV so i can't comment on it.

(this is not just something you'll find in the Windows world, it's the same in the GUI's i use, a GTK app pretty much looks and feels like a GTK app and a QT app pretty much looks and feels like a QT app)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 02:49:04 PM by Germanium202 »

Spyros

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2004, 02:54:47 PM »
he included screenshots so the user can determine for himself if he is correct
Can a user decide simply based on screen-shots? My experience says no.

most UI designers know that and follow the conventions as far as possible
"vlk", an alwil software member which creates avast, has written some time ago here in the forum as to why alwil wanted an un-conventional look for avast. Please use the "search" function to read his post.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2004, 03:02:32 PM »
I'm writting proper avast! review as we speak so stay tuned :)
This one comes from reliable Security-Ops and won't be biased in any way :)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Germanium202

« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2004, 03:11:14 PM »
he included screenshots so the user can determine for himself if he is correct
Can a user decide simply based on screen-shots? My experience says no.

most UI designers know that and follow the conventions as far as possible
"vlk", an alwil software member which creates avast, has written some time ago here in the forum as to why alwil wanted an un-conventional look for avast. Please use the "search" function to read his post.

I can't find the post by vlk unfortunantly. It would be interesting to know why he would choose such an unconventional look.

Starfighter

« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2004, 03:11:43 PM »
... And really, what's so confusing in those icons. They are exactly showing which action you'll perform if you click on those.... btw, there are those little pop-up windows if you are hovering long enough over those icons, with perfect explanation what's the function for each one...

Well, there are (lots) of people who have no clue what even a hard drive looks like, so they don't know what that icon means... yes they can mouse-hover for a pop-up window, but you'd be surprised how many don't even know about these hover features.  There are lots of people like that--the AOL-type crowd as I call them.  Yeah, perhaps if they're that computer illiterate they shouldn't even be using a computer-- but hey, not everyone is a whiz with computers.   There used to be a time when computers were mainly used by techies -- but now with the prices of computers dropping--computers are now almost like cheap appliances for the masses.   The fact that you can buy them now at Wal-Mart tells you something.

Not that I believe software should be written for the lowest common denominator (i.e. the idiot-proof-all-in-1)... but surely there's money being made in that market.  

Anyway, these are my thoughts...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 03:13:23 PM by Starfighter »