Author Topic: Avast 6 not truly establishing SSL connection to mail server  (Read 2486 times)

lrc

Avast 6 not truly establishing SSL connection to mail server
« on: January 06, 2012, 12:59:25 PM »
Hello:

I'm trying to get Outlook 2003 and Avast Antivirus (free version 6.0.1367) configured correctly for SSL connections to my various email accounts while allowing Avast to actually scan the emails (Mail Shield).

I've followed all configuration instructions carefully.  For example here's how I've configured Outlook and Avast for my gmail account (which requires SSL connections for POP3 and SMTP):

Outlook is set to use default non-ssl settings:

Incoming:  pop.gmail.com,   SSL is disabled,  port is 110 
     Outgoing:  smtp.gmail.com,  SSL is disabled,  port is 25

I have added these gmail servers to the SSL list in Avast -> Settings -> Mail Shield -> Expert Settings -> SSL accounts:

pop.gmail.com,   POP3,  port 995,  SSL
     smtp.gmail.com,  SMTP,  port 465,  SLL

With the above settings,  I am unable to send or receive from my gmail account (I get "unable to connect to server..." error messages in Outlook).

If I clear the SSL accounts list in Avast,  and if I then go back into my Outlook settings and re-enable SSL (with the correct port numbers:  POP3-995, SMTP-465),  I am able to send and receive emails perfectly OK,  but of course with these settings none of my emails is being scanned.

I have performed this same experiment with several other email accounts/providers in circumstances where I know the standard non-ssl ports won't work but ssl will,  results are similar.

Thus I conclude that even though I've set things up correctly for Avast to have SSL connection to the mail server,  it's really not making that SSL connection.   I suspect it's probably using whatever's set up in Outlook and ignoring the SSL Accounts list for some reason.

Any ideas what might be going on or what I might try?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Avast 6 not truly establishing SSL connection to mail server
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 03:00:03 PM »
Here is the how to guide.....but it seems you are doing it correct

avast! 5.x: Some e-mails are not scanned by the Mail Shield
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=458

but of course with these settings none of my emails is being scanned.
are all your accounts from Gmail ?

anyway, if you dont get this to work, you are still protected   :)
Gmail is protecting all accounts with postini spam/virus filter using two AV engines from Authentium and McAfee

lrc

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 03:37:48 PM »
Thanks Pondus!

No,  my other email accounts are not gmail.  They are for domains I own (email accounts hosted by service providers),  plus a work account (from yet another hosting provider).  None of these has the kind of built-in protection gmail has,  that's why I'm trying to get Avast set up for these.

I'm pretty technical (I design hard disk drives amongst other things) and am pretty certain of my experimental results.  It very much seems to me that Avast isn't really able to make the SSL connections correctly.  Since this doesn't seem to be a general problem for gmail users (I don't see a bunch of posts indicating problems similar to mine),  I can only assume there must be some kind of strange and subtle issue on my PC (XP Pro).

Anyway - I'm hoping that someone might have encountered a similar situation and might have found a solution. 

Thanks again!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 03:59:28 PM »
unless there is a avast/outlook problem   ???

have you tried with outlook express....just to test ?

lrc

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 04:06:23 PM »
Good idea (try Outlook Express).  I'm out of time this week,  will give it a try next week.

Thanks!