Author Topic: Cannot uninstall version 35600 after Error 555  (Read 10117 times)

ars721

Cannot uninstall version 35600 after Error 555
« on: January 06, 2012, 08:11:06 PM »
Error Code 555 license expired alert with 'Terminate' option interferes with the ability to choose Uninstall from the menu. I would like to upgrade to the newest version but cannot uninstall this one.

Offline mity

• Avast team
Re: Cannot uninstall version 35600 after Error 555
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 12:03:55 PM »
Thanks for report. We will try to enhance this.

You can update by drag&drop the newer version over the old one in /Applications. Finder will over to replace it. Then start the new app and it will update all avast! components.

SplendidAttitude

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 06:10:53 PM »
I have done this several times and it is not working. It STILL says error 555... What should I do?

I have the latest version of the avast application - yet I am still receiving error 555...

Please help...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 06:13:38 PM by SplendidAttitude »

Offline mity

• Avast team
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 03:01:47 PM »
I have done this several times and it is not working. It STILL says error 555... What should I do?

I have the latest version of the avast application - yet I am still receiving error 555...

Please help...

I can see only two possible reason for the behavior you describe:

* The newer build you are trying to install is still too old. As of now, use please the build 35889b (download it from http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=78646.0).

* You have for some reason invalid system time on your machine, so it is outside the time range of the license file in the package.

Any way the final product shall not use this license mechanism at all, and it is slowly approaching, so one solution for you might be: Just wait...

Regards,
Mity

pduegaw

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 09:37:27 PM »
I'm having a similar problem, except I think I know why it's happening, just not how to fix it.  In order to install the new version, I need to quit avast;  but, since it seems to be set to run perpetually, I can't install the new product.  I click "terminate", and the application terminates, but then opens again instantly.  I just need to know how to disable this perpetual running function so I can install the new version--essentially just replace the existing version with the version I just downloaded, which is impossible while the existing version is still running. 

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 02:24:29 AM »
I'm having a similar problem, except I think I know why it's happening, just not how to fix it.  In order to install the new version, I need to quit avast;  but, since it seems to be set to run perpetually, I can't install the new product.  I click "terminate", and the application terminates, but then opens again instantly.  I just need to know how to disable this perpetual running function so I can install the new version--essentially just replace the existing version with the version I just downloaded, which is impossible while the existing version is still running. 

If you are running the old stable release you need to go to the preferences and uncheck the option that says to launch at startup as a persistent application. This will allow you to quit the application and install the new version.

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

pduegaw

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 07:42:20 AM »
I appreciate the reply--thanks--however, I had already tried to find that option in the Preferences menu, but it doesn't exist, at least in the release I'm using.  I installed it a couple months ago, so I think it's still relatively recent.  Any suggestions where else the option might be found?  All the other avast commands are disabled with this 555 error--it just tells you to terminate, and when you do that, it starts again!  Aargh!!

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 01:12:53 PM »
I appreciate the reply--thanks--however, I had already tried to find that option in the Preferences menu, but it doesn't exist, at least in the release I'm using.  I installed it a couple months ago, so I think it's still relatively recent.  Any suggestions where else the option might be found?  All the other avast commands are disabled with this 555 error--it just tells you to terminate, and when you do that, it starts again!  Aargh!!
Can you get the version number of the version you are using? This will help me better inform you the steps to take?

Thanks!
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

pduegaw

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 04:06:54 PM »
Sure--it's Version 1.0 (35600b), and then under that it says VPS Version ????.  Thanks for checking into this for me!

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 01:28:46 PM »
Sure--it's Version 1.0 (35600b), and then under that it says VPS Version ????.  Thanks for checking into this for me!

Have you tried the uninstall app for the beta? Download this here:
http://public.avast.com/dev/mac-beta1/UninstallAvast.app.zip

pduegaw

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 04:36:06 PM »
I just tried, and a window popped up to say that that particular uninstall app is only valid for another version of avast, so it didn't work, unfortunately.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 01:32:36 PM »
Ok next, Boot your Mac using "Safe Boot" and try to remove the software. Safe Boot is similar to Safe Mode in Windows in that it loads only a bare minimal set of apps/drivers at startup.

For instruction on how to boot your version of Mac OS X see this KB Article from Apple:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

pduegaw

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 05:09:19 PM »
worked like a charm!!  thanks again for all your help!