Author Topic: Upgrade to paid Internet Security from Free Antivirus doesn't work  (Read 4277 times)

KatElevenTen

I'm running a Dell desktop with Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.80GHz 2.79GHz, 4GB Ram with Win 7 SP1 32-bit.

I've been using Avast Free Antivirus on it for about 2 years. I'm a big proponent of Avast. I recommend it to everyone. I've installed it on my mother's desktop, every laptop I've ever had, my daughter's netbook, my other daughter's desktop and laptop. Over the holiday season I got the opportunity to upgrade to the Internet Security with 3 licenses for a very good price. I put a license each on my laptop and my daugher's new laptop that I got her for Christmas both of which are running Win 7 SP1 64bit. On my laptop I'm also running Zemana Anti-Logger, SUPERAntiSpyware Pro, and Windows Defender. No problems... both upgrades went off without a hitch.

No such luck with my desktop however. After entering the license file, and sitting through the downloading and installing of the Internet Security program, the firewall couldn't be enabled and I had no Internet connection. I attempted this twice and both times used System Restore to get me back to working order, alas with Avast Free Antivirus rather than the Internet Security. Now in the interest of full disclosure, I'm also running Windows Defender and Zemana Anti-Logger on the desktop as well. I believe in a layered approach to security and one of the reasons I like Avast so much is the combination of its effectiveness and it plays well with others which I've not found with other highly rated free anti-virus programs.

I have been reading other topics here on Avast forums and while I came across a few that were similar to my problem, none were exactly the same in circumstance which is why I started this one. While my desktop is not Wi-fi connected, I did see a response to Bonnikins by ady4um regarding firewall rules. That may very be what my problem is but I'm uncertain how I would go about deleting or resetting firewall rules. Currently I'm back to using Windows 7 firewall so I would appreciate some help if possible.

Thanks,
KatElevenTen

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Upgrade to paid Internet Security from Free Antivirus doesn't work
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 07:07:54 AM »
Nothing needs to be done to the windows firewall concerning avast, there aren't any rules to delet because none get put in the windows firewall.

KatElevenTen since it was an upgrade from the free version i suggest a clean install, download a fresh copy of AIS and the removal tool http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save, go to programs and features and uninstall avast then reboot into safemode ( tap f8 while booting ) once in safemode navigate to where you saved the removal tool and run, choose the version of avast you are cleaning and accept, when finished reboot back into normal mode.

Now install the fresh copy of AIS reboot and insert your license.

Note! that if you have used any other AV's on the system you should run the correct removal tools to clean up leftovers
http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

Also note that Defender isnt all that good and my personal opinion would be disable it, use Malwarebytes instead  ;)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 07:08:58 AM »
download the full AIS install file, install as trail. when you have it up and running/updated...enter the license

http://www.avast.com/en-eu/free-antivirus-download

Also note that Defender isnt all that good and my personal opinion would be disable it, use Malwarebytes instead
+1   ;)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 07:11:32 AM by Pondus »

zfactor

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 07:31:32 AM »
same for me about windows defend.

try to fully uninstall avast with the removal tool http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe

do this in safe mode. then reboot and reinstall ais and see if everything goes well after this. i have seen some issues when upgrading the product without doing a uninstall of the free version first

true indian

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 08:06:31 AM »
Windows defender is considered as a bloatware... ;D

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2012, 03:59:41 PM »
Windows defender is considered as a bloatware... ;D
As usual you have no clue about what you speak.

Windows Defender is not bloatware but it is not necessary to have active but I choose to have it active on my Windows 7 system.

KatElevenTen

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2012, 10:39:15 PM »
Thank you all for your replies... I will do the clean install and let you all know how it turns out.

K--

KatElevenTen

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 07:25:45 AM »
Ok, removed Avast Free Antivirus as per instructions, clean install of AIS, still same issues +1. Cannot enable Avast firewall, no Internet connection and cannot enable the Network shield. AIS then proceeded to crash. Windows did ascertain a problem with a network driver, an issue which doesn't exist after a System Restore. Until this situation is resolved, I'm reinstalling Avast Free Antivirus for protection in the meantime.

Any ideas, anyone? Please?

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 08:24:29 AM »
Please try to update your network-card driver. I had a similar problem some time ago.

DJBone
Win10 x64, APS (always latest version)
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)