Author Topic: No/Limited connectivity  (Read 2990 times)

PHmaddnes

No/Limited connectivity
« on: November 26, 2004, 01:54:14 PM »
During installation of Avast on kids system (on Turkeyday) I had to shut down so Avast could scan sys on startup. The viruses were numerous (35+) and I couldn't repair many of the files, so I deleted 'em (I can hear you all know "You jerk what were you thinkin'?"

So now in my trat I have the little computer icon thingy with an exclimation point and I am getting "Limited or No Connectivity" When I try to "Repair the Connection" I get a message " that the IP address is not being renewed or assigned.

The problem is in this system as I can connect my laptop via this computers ethernet cable and can communicate with the router and connect to the internet.

Is there a Log of the initial scan so I can see what I did?

Thanx.
PH

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:No/Limited connectivity
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 02:42:35 PM »
Straight from the Avast help file:
Schedule Boot-Time Scan. Displays a dialog allowing you to schedule virus scanning before the operating system start. You can remove the virus before its activation this way, because almost all viruses start along with the operating system. During this test, avast! creates a report file named aswboot.txt in C:\Program Files\ALWIL Software\Avast4\Data\Report. This function is available on Windows NT, 2000 and XP only.

PHmaddnes

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 04:20:05 PM »
Thank you, found it.

In keeping with my Newbie mentality, how do I "Undelete" the 45 files  deleted?

Tried to use a window restore point, but it appears I may have deleted those also :-\.

Thanx,
PH

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 04:59:52 PM »
You can only undete file as long as the diskspace they where on is not overwritten by other things. If it is overwritten you need a specialized company to do so. Use the search function on this board. Keywords = "handy recovery". I remember having posted a link to that freeware undelete program. It may also be in Bob3160's link list.

Other possible options:
1] If they are windows files, extract them from the windows cd.
2] If they are driver files, reinstall the drivers.
3] Perform an in-place repair of Windows.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 05:01:14 PM by Eddy »