Author Topic: Can someone please explain this to me?  (Read 5553 times)

blueshift

Can someone please explain this to me?
« on: January 07, 2012, 06:21:20 PM »
I am a user who never ever wants to see anti virus popups unless I need to know something urgently and I have been using avast for a few years, the free version that is, and I've loved it. I upgraded to the paid version not because I need the extra features but because I wanted to support the company that had been doing all of this for me. Now my paid version subscription is about to expire and avast continually has popups asking me to renew, and I don't want to. I could understand one window with the option to not show again letting me know but having a super annoying nagging renewal popup that I don't see the option on how to get rid of me is making me seriously angry, why is there no option to remove alerts in the paid version of the product? Is there a way I can forfeit the rest of my time on the paid version to downgrade to the free version or should I just reinstall?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Can someone please explain this to me?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 06:46:07 PM »
Well, this warning is very important because you won't be able to update and get unprotected.
I suggest you get back to the free version with an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro. Or even upgrade your key from old versions.
7. Check and post the results. If, for any reason, you did not solve, try doing the step 3 in Safe Mode anyway.
The best things in life are free.

jesydney

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 10:44:25 AM »
This is not an answer, Tech in Brazil.

I am an IT engineer supporting 10's of users. It is annoying the heck out of customers. End-users do not actually read that it has xx number of days left.

Also to those reading this, our licences expire on the 27Jan 2012. I deligently bought renewals for all our licences. LO and Behold to my BIG SURPRISE, ??? ??? the renewal date started on the day I actually purchased it which is 3rd of Jan2012. This means that Avast has cheated me out of 24days because the expiry is 3rd Jan2015 (bought 3yrs). :-\

The only solution to that is to cancel the renewal and re-renew it on 26/27 to overcome the lost days.

AVAST, please fix this. Set the renewal date to start when the current expires. Don't cheat us out of the protected days.

We would like to support AVAST in your effort of developing the software. Please be kind to us mortals.  :'(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 11:44:31 AM »
LO and Behold to my BIG SURPRISE, ??? ??? the renewal date started on the day I actually purchased it which is 3rd of Jan2012.
This is always this way. The license period starts when the license is issued not implemented.
It's a licensing scheme limitation.
But, of course, it would be good if things are different...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 01:11:17 PM »
If they did the renewal from the avastUI, then it is linked to the existing license and you don't lose the remaining days. That has been so for a while now so the user doesn't lose out.

However, if you renew your license outside of the avastUI, directly from the avast website there is no way to link the license purchase with the existing one.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 01:22:06 PM »
If they did the renewal from the avastUI, then it is linked to the existing license and you don't lose the remaining days. That has been so for a while now so the user doesn't lose out.

Yes, DavidR is correct (it also partially corrects the previous post from Tech)

However, if you renew your license outside of the avastUI, directly from the avast website there is no way to link the license purchase with the existing one.

There is still a "solution". If you send and email to
Code: [Select]
sales At avast d 0 t  c 0 mthey should be able to help you "add" the 24 lost days to your license. You should send them the relevant email address (the one used for the purchased / renewal, specially if the email sent to the sales department comes from a different email address), and adding to the email a link to this topic won't hurt.

They send you a new (corrected) license file; you add it to avast and reboot; and the corrected expiration day should appear.

This has been done successfully in the past.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 01:46:10 PM »
Thanks David. Living and learning.

I've done my renewal this way.

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 04:32:54 PM »
My avast! Pro licence is about to expire soon on my XP Pro system so I will be taking your advice.

Techtronic

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 05:07:10 PM »
Since I have a 3 PC license, if I renew using the avast! GUI on my main PC, how is the renewal applied on my 2 other PC's?

YoKenny

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 05:15:40 PM »
Since I have a 3 PC license, if I renew using the avast! GUI on my main PC, how is the renewal applied on my 2 other PC's?
Save your License.avastlic file to a USB Flash stick then import it on the other systems.

ady4um

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 07:05:53 PM »

If you can update such registration from the built in GUI, the same registration file should be valid also for the other 2 systems. Once the license has the new (and correct) expiration date, then the same license file can be used in the other 2 systems.

And, if for any reason, the first system with the new license file says that the expiration date is different from what is expected, then the same sales department email address will solve your problem. Once they confirm your data, they will send you a corrected license file to apply to all 2 systems.

Just for general information, not long ago there was a case of someone paying in advance a couple of months before the expiration day, and he received (by email) a license file with the correct new expiration date (not wasting the 2 months that were still valid) with no problem.