Author Topic: Emails scanned???  (Read 31759 times)

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Emails scanned???
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 06:35:44 PM »
I just gave your fix a try and it seems to work perfectly.  I changed from SSL to none in my email client settings, then sent myself an emai with a small video attachment.  Now I see the email scanned information in Avast and the email did go out and did come in.  I thank all who responded to my question!
congrats.....you now have trippel scanning of your mail  Authentium/McAfee/avast   that should be secure enough   ;D

YoKenny

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 06:55:30 PM »
YoKenny, if it will make you feel better, I may be an American now, but I was born in Winnipeg and migrated to the US in 1964.  So you and I are brothers of a sort!!!!!!!!!
In Canada Winnipeg is affectionaly known as Winterpeg  ;D

I worked in Raleigh N.C. for 2.5 years and hated to have to go back to Cold Canada EH!  :'(

Chunker

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 07:34:53 PM »
Well Pondus, my email will certainly be secure but now to figure how to protect myself from that dreadful Win 7 security 2012!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I got hit with it a few weeks ago and it changed my system forever.  Of course I'm talking about losing my Windows Security Center.  Because of that I also lost my auto Windows Update feature, Windows Defender, and Windows Firewall.  I've had the virus removed and to compensate for my loses I have to manually look for windows update, installed Comodo for a firewall, and Superantispyware for a defender.  One more thing I did was to install Norton DNS.  That seems to work perfectly along with Avast.  Don't know what else I can do.  Just wish all the AV programs can get a handle on this monster.  I know quite a few people that have been plagued with it.  In my case Avast alerted me, but not until after it installed itself and caused irrevocable damage. :'( :'( 

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 07:40:42 PM »
@Chunker,
No Security program will ever be able to protect you or me 100%.
One of the reasons why regular image backups are essential.
Unless you have one available to install which was made prior to the infection,
a fresh installation is about the only option.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 07:44:54 PM »
Well Pondus, my email will certainly be secure but now to figure how to protect myself from that dreadful Win 7 security 2012
I recomend Malwarebytes PRO
then you get a protection module, IP block (that David does not like) and auto update

a one time fee for a lifetime license   http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Remove Win 7 Security 2012 (Uninstall Guide)
Automated Removal Instructions for Win 7 Security 2012 using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-security-2012

.....and caused irrevocable damage
then i recomend you let Essexboy have a look inside.....and fix it

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 07:49:40 PM by Pondus »

YoKenny

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 07:49:28 PM »
Well Pondus, my email will certainly be secure but now to figure how to protect myself from that dreadful Win 7 security 2012
I recomend Malwarebytes PRO
then you get a protection module, IP block (that David does not like) and auto update

a one time fee for a lifetime license
I like Malwarebytes PRO and I do like IP block that I refer to many times.

I have two licenses. 
One for each system I own.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 07:56:06 PM »
Are you still having problems with the system ?

If so what areas

Chunker

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 08:36:46 PM »
My system is clean now (I had the virus professionally removed) but I still have lost those functions that I mentioned.  I do have a complete system backup on an external drive that I could run but that would entail one heck of a lot of work to get all my programs, changes, and functions restored to what I have now.  The experts who cleaned and fixed my system installed and used SuperAntiSpyware.  I downloaded and tried Malwarebites, but decided to stay with the SAS that they installed.  I don't run it real time so as to not conflict with Avast.  The Norton DNS is a cloud service and causes no problems.  That virus is so quick, it installs in the blink of an eye.  From what I've read via Google, it's running out of control.  This was the very first virus I've been hit with in over 15 years of computing.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 08:44:48 PM »
The Norton DNS is a cloud service and causes no problems.
I use openDNS

I downloaded and tried Malwarebites, but decided to stay with the SAS that they installed.  I don't run it real time so as to not conflict with Avast.
It does not conflict with avast......but Malwarebytes is better  ;)

My system is clean now (I had the virus professionally removed) but I still have lost those functions that I mentioned.
Strange....if it was a pro doing it?

see Essexboys guide here   http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
to avoid multiple post with copy and paste, attach the OTL log so Essexboy can have a look inside

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:48:31 PM by Pondus »

Chunker

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2012, 09:18:51 PM »
Thank you Pondus, I'm going to take a long look at Malwarebytes per your suggestion.  I wasn't sure if it could be run in real time and not conflict with Avast.  I thought the same with SAS.  I took a look at that information link for sending a log to Essexboy but believe me it is way too complicated for this guy!  Funny but when you first mentioned essexboy, the first thing that popped into my head was "I've never heard of that program before, maybe I should Google and take a look at it?"  I think I'll just keep running as is.  I believe my system is one heck of a lot safer now than it was before.  Comodo seems to be a better firewall than the windows built in version.  The only thing I really miss is the windows security icon in the systray that alerted me to windows updates and other notifications such as turning off my antivirus program.  It is grayed out now and I can't get it to turn on.  That virus destroyed the system security center.  When I had it, I could do nothing, not even open notepad.  Since you have inferred running Malwarebytes in real time would not conflict with Avast, I will more than likely give it a try.  Thanks so much! 

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2012, 09:23:30 PM »
I took a look at that information link for sending a log to Essexboy but believe me it is way too complicated for this guy
not complicated...you click the red OTL in the guide and download the program, save to desktop and scan
then attach the log here....just follow the instructions

how to attach, se lower left corner - additional options > attach

The only thing I really miss is the windows security icon in the systray that alerted me to windows updates and other notifications such as turning off my antivirus program.
This is bc the malware turned that off....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 09:28:16 PM by Pondus »

ady4um

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 09:24:39 PM »
I just gave your fix a try and it seems to work perfectly.  I changed from SSL to none in my email client settings, then sent myself an emai with a small video attachment.  Now I see the email scanned information in Avast and the email did go out and did come in.  I thank all who responded to my question!

I know you are talking about something else now, but just to be clear I'd like to point out that you say:

- now email client is not configured to use SSL;
- now avast says it is scanning emails.

What you didn't mention (but I guess you did anyway) is that you actually configured avast *with* SSL now (which was not configured as such before).

Sorry for the interruption. Please continue.

Chunker

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2012, 09:41:39 PM »
Sorry Ady4um, I guess I'm almost as confused as your are!  My Thunderbird mail program downloads my ISP Gmail account.  All my Thunderbird settings were SSL.  That is why Avast wasn't scanning my emails and I showed no email activity.  Now that I've changed those setting to None, Avast is now showing email activity.  What bothers me still is that when I go into the Avast mail shield/expert settings/SSL accounts, it lists about 20 different email servers including gmail with SSL turned on.  Guess I'm scared to touch any of those accounts listed.  I never built them, I'm guessing Avast built them in there when I installed the program?

ady4um

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2012, 09:52:08 PM »
Sorry Ady4um, I guess I'm almost as confused as your are!  My Thunderbird mail program downloads my ISP Gmail account.  All my Thunderbird settings were SSL.  That is why Avast wasn't scanning my emails and I showed no email activity.  Now that I've changed those setting to None, Avast is now showing email activity.  What bothers me still is that when I go into the Avast mail shield/expert settings/SSL accounts, it lists about 20 different email servers including gmail with SSL turned on.  Guess I'm scared to touch any of those accounts listed.  I never built them, I'm guessing Avast built them in there when I installed the program?

OK, now that you actually wrote it, it is clear to me that avast is indeed configured for SSL with your gmail account and that your email is working correctly, together with avast scanning it. Please continue with your logs for Pondus and Essexboy.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2012, 10:01:36 PM »
Hi there lets take it one stage at a time then

Download OTL  to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Select All Users
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in

netsvcs
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
/md5start
consrv.dll
explorer.exe
winlogon.exe
Userinit.exe
svchost.exe
/md5stop
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\bfe /s
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\mpssvc /s
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\mscsvc /s
hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /rs
hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /64 /rs
C:\Windows\assembly\tmp\U\*.* /s
%Temp%\smtmp\1\*.*
%Temp%\smtmp\2\*.*
%Temp%\smtmp\3\*.*
%Temp%\smtmp\4\*.*
CREATERESTOREPOINT

• Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
    • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
    • Post both logs