Author Topic: Emails scanned???  (Read 31770 times)

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Emails scanned???
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2012, 11:13:54 PM »
Could you confirm the the RPC service is running and set to auto please

Chunker

« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2012, 11:15:31 PM »
I already checked in admin services and both of those two dependencies that I seem to be missing show automatic and started.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2012, 11:28:39 PM »
Could you update windows please and then let me know what problems remain

Chunker

« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2012, 11:33:40 PM »
By updating windows, I show no windows updates.  All I can do is a reboot.  Will do that and post back the results.

Chunker

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2012, 12:13:26 AM »
Ok, you knew there were updates as I don't get notifications.  I had checked earlier today and there were none.  But with you alert, I checked and there were 4.  Did those and after a reboot, there was another.  Did that one, and then another reboot.  Then I checked an the same problem exists.  The security center icon is still grayed out.  I also went ahead and took a look at the properties that I had checked earlier, and now there are no dependencies listed at all.  I think maybe it is no sense kicking a dead horse.  My pc is running fine.  The only thing I'm really missing is the auto notifications of windows updates.  I feel more secure with comodo as a firewall over Windows firewall.  That and avast should keep me safe.  I'm also running Norton DNS and I have SuperAntiSpyware.  I'm going to purchase and run in real time Malwarebytes instead.  I know you have tried your hardest but I think this would be the most logical thing to do.  I also have an image that I can go back to that was saved on an external drive about 9 weeks before I became infected.  I shouldn't lose too much doing that but I feel confident in staying where I am along with the change in malware detection.  This has taken a heck of a lot of time for me and you which I really appreciate.  If you have any other advice please feel free to let me know!

Wayne  :-)

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2012, 10:05:58 PM »
It just so happens that there is one final registry fix that may cure that

Go to my malware files here https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=32D8666F4048075B&id=32D8666F4048075B%21117
Near the bottom is a zip file wscsvc(64)
Download to your desktop
Extract the reg file to your desktop
Right click the reg file and select Merge
Accept the warnings and reboot

Is it working now ?

Chunker

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2012, 10:48:45 PM »
Went ahead and did what you said.  After reboot, nothing has changed at all.  The service center icon is still grayed out, can't start either firewall or defender.  Still no icon in the tray to give me any notifications.  Looks like that didn't do anything at all.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2012, 11:06:35 PM »
Grrr could you download and install the MSFixit centre from here http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Microsoft-Fix-it-Center/1271432341/1
This will give you a vast range of MS tools

Select the ones relevant to updates and security... I would recommend that you retain this programme as it is very usefull

Chunker

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2012, 11:42:43 PM »
Downloaded it, installed it, and ran for all security center issues.  Some of them said it fixed something but the log didn't show what?  The only one that really failed was the firewall one.  It said it couldn't fix.  It also mentioned to uninstall my comodo and then to try and run the fix again.  I checked and the security center icon is still grayed out and I think that is the real source of my trouble.  If I could get that back on somehow???  I guess this tool didn't really do anything either.  But I am saving the tool on my pc and will try it again when something needs looking at.  Thank you!  An hey, no more grrrrs!  Laugh!  If anybody should be grrrring it is me.  Today I went and preplanned and prepayed for 2 funerals!  Hope my kids appreciate it????

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2012, 11:44:25 PM »
Lets run farbar and see what we get - this tool is getting a lot of use lately

run farbar service scanner

Tick "Internet services" and "Windows Firewall" options.
Press "Scan".
It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.

Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

Chunker

« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2012, 11:50:19 PM »
Ok, here is the log.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2012, 09:18:51 PM »
Could you go Start > run and type in the following please

sfc /scannow

This will check the veracity of your files

Chunker

« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2012, 12:33:07 AM »
Ok, I gave it a try.  The search finds it but when I right click and pick run as administrator, it seems to run for about 1 second or so and then shuts down with no report or any log.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2012, 08:49:15 PM »
OK bear with me I am installing XP on a VM at the moment - So I am playing with the wrong system  ;D

Meanwhile lets see if you have a replacement file on your system
  • Run OTL.
  • Select All Users
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in
netsvcs
%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
/md5start
wscsvc.*
/md5stop

Then press quickscan and attach the log
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 08:50:53 PM by essexboy »

Chunker

« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2012, 10:19:43 PM »
Here it is attached.  Just to let you know I'm now running with Windows Firewall.  Did an online port check and it says 100 percent stealth.  It came on after I uninstalled comodo.  So that seems to work fine.  Right now I'm running Avast, Windows Firewall, Malwarebytes Pro-real time, and also Norton DNS.  The only thing that I seem to be missing is the action center icon.  It is still grayed out and I can't get it on.  I found a site with a reg fix to turn it on, but that didn't work even after a reboot.  I'm assuming that virus stopped that service so I wouldn't get notifications from windows that something was going on.  But how they did it and where they did it is the big question??  Otherwise I'm running a lot safer than I ever was.  Oh yea, almost forgot.  I've also turned on Windows UAC to the highest level.