Author Topic: Emails scanned???  (Read 31834 times)

Chunker

Re: Emails scanned???
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2012, 10:29:22 PM »
Here's a screenshot of what I'm referring to.  The bottom two used to be active but not since the virus.  I don't care about the power one, but the action center one is critical to receive messages from windows on.  It always loaded when windows started on a delayed load.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2012, 10:49:40 PM »
OK run OTL

In the custom scans and fixes box copy/paste the following

:Files
C:\Windows\System32\wscsvc.dll|C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-securitycenter-core_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16723_none_767435e5cb9af730\wscsvc.dll /replace

Then press run fix

Then go to my site https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=32d8666f4048075b&id=32D8666F4048075B%21117

And download the clear-notification-items.vbs
To your desktop
Double click the file and accept the warnings

What this will do is clear all the notification area
then as programmes are used they will repopulate

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2012, 10:50:45 PM »
Just some info. You say You did run a port scan.......if You are behind a ruter with a firewall or your ISP supplied box has a firewall, then it is that firewall You are testing.  ;)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2012, 11:00:44 PM »
If what essexboy suggested doesn't work, what happens if you restore the default settings ???
Will that allow you to again make your custom changes ???
Also, remove the lock taskbar till you're satisfied with all your changes.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

ady4um

« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2012, 11:11:01 PM »
As suggested (if what essexboy posted is not enough), I would also suggest:
1_UNlock taskbar.
2_Restore default icons.
3_Reboot.
4_Review the start up type services again.

Chunker

« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2012, 11:13:07 PM »
Gonna run and what EB mentioned.  Before I do that, Bob, I wish it were that simple.  That does nothing in that window but goes back and changes all the personal notification choices that I've made for all those running.  And Pondus, don't understand what you're trying to say???  I did a firewall scan online and it shows all ports running in stealth, the same thing I had using comodo.  So, now with comodo gone, I'm assuming my windows firewall in running properly.  Back shortly!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2012, 11:39:50 PM »
When You run a port scan, it is the frist firewall that is tested........mening if you have a router and or a ISP box with a firewall than it was that firewall You tested.......and not your Windows firewalll.  You Can test this by turning off the win firewall and run the test, if You still get same result, then You are behind a firewall.
OBS  You should still keep winfirewall on  ;)

Chunker

« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2012, 11:40:56 PM »
Ok, that doesn't work either.  Believe me I've done over a thousand suggested fixes during the last 3 weeks.  Everything seems to be ok but the except for the problem with the Action Center icon.  If you Google that phrase, you'll see thousands have the same problem I have and they all relate to the same virus.  Nobody can recommend a simple fix, only to restore to an earlier system image.  I've also flushed and reflushed my notifications icon area about a hundred times.  Yes, they all go away and reappear when they start.  But only those that are turned on.  That will only flush those that are in the running and active screen which is previous to the screen I took a screen shot of.  It's awful hard to work with somebody and try to post and have others jumping in.  I appreciate all the attempts to help me but I'm at the end of my rope on this.  I just wanna call it good and go on from here.  It's only gonna cost me a couple of extra minutes a day to do a manual windows update.  I'm much better protected now than I was 3 weeks ago.  It's because of this board that I implemented every one of the changes I've made and I truly appreciate all that was done for me.

Chunker

« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2012, 11:48:33 PM »
I have no router, no firewalled isp box.  Nothing but windows firewall running.  I turned it off and took the test.  Everything that was stealth now shows closed.  Put it back on and everything changes to stealth.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2012, 11:54:30 PM »
The firewall is not to bad on Vista/7 so I would not be to concerned

I think we have now changed, fixed and jumped up and down on all possible elements.  If you have windows updates set to automatic then it will download them for you and notify you when they are ready to install

As it stands it is not a security loophole in your system, just an embuggerance

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2012, 11:59:58 PM »
If it say closed.....then you are behind a firewall

ady4um

« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2012, 10:29:55 AM »
Registry keys to "enable" Action Center in Windows Seven.

1_UNlock taskbar.
2_Restore default icons.
3_Merge the following registry key (you may want to backup the registry first or take a restore point just in case, as a general recommendation)

Code: [Select]
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"HideSCAHealth"=-

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"HideSCAHealth"=-

4_Reboot.

5_ Your previous status for the Action Center was grayed out (not selectable). Now (after the above steps) you should review if the icon for Action Center can be re-enabled again in the properties. If it can, then select it, save changes and review the results in the tray area.

Please report back.

Chunker

« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2012, 04:26:22 PM »
Thank you for your suggestion.  I did exactly what you suggested and exactly as you laid it all out.  Sorry to say, this did not work either.  They two are still grayed out and I'm unable to select them.  Guess I'm going to have to live with it.