Author Topic: Avast and WHS 2011  (Read 8366 times)

freebird317

Avast and WHS 2011
« on: January 09, 2012, 12:40:37 AM »
I am thinking of not renewing my license for Avast and instead going with G Data.  I have Avast installed on 3 pcs and WHS 2011.  I would like an integrated console like G Data has.  When is Avast going to update their AV for WHS 2011 so it will have a console for WHS 2011, are you going to?  I would prefer to stay with Avast, I trust them and been using them for years.  But if there is no plans for WHS 2011 console integration or if the plan is a year out for such an integration then it might be time to part ways with Avast. 

DCS

Re: Avast and WHS 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 08:49:06 PM »
I guess by the lack of response I will probably be moving to the other solution for my WHS and the clients. Looking at the Forums the WHS section has been moved to a child of the Forum instead of having it's own. There has not been an Engine update for 2011 in a long time, and is still the old 32 bit. I am guessing Avast will just keep renewing the license and not put out an updated version, rather sad, really liked it, but since there is no word, no updates, I am likely to part ways in the next few months. Avast is a great product, just lacking WHS support.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:50:54 PM by DCS »

REDACTED

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 02:05:32 PM »
According to a forum partcipant on Microsofts WHS Forum dated April 28th, 2011,

"Here is what I received from Avast! this:
Good morning,

Thank you for your reply and sorry for the confusion.  As per the message which Jakub sent to you, we are certainly working on the Windows Home Server for WHS 2011 and hope to release it as soon as possible though I cannot give a specific date at this point.

I hope this helps, if not, please don't hesitate to contact me again.

Best regards,
 Adam Riley
 Third Party Support Manager
 [Please reply leaving the message intact so we can see all the previous correspondence. Thank you.]"

Apparently because of so few WHS 2011 users, it is not high on Avast's priority list.

DCS

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 05:09:26 AM »
There are so few users as most have fled to other products due to lack of support. I just uninstalled mine and am testing a different product. Will probably move my 5 desktops and 3 laptops over in the next few months. I always liked Avast, been paying for it for years, but can't justify paying for a product that has an outdated engine, is low on the priority list, so when their is an issue, how long will it take to actually get it resolved or support?

spasmonaut

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 07:58:00 AM »
I agree that this generally does suck.  I JUST put together a WHS 2011 build about three weeks ago and was disappointed to see Avast hasn't been officially launched or supported yet on WHS 2011.  I think it's simply natural progression of the product to a new platform, so why this hasn't been done sooner, theoretically leaving a number of servers "wide open" without virus protection is just puzzling to me.  I've been using Avast since about 2004 or 2005 I believe, perhaps longer?

metalmike

No WHS 1/2011 still...
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 12:09:54 PM »
I renewed for 3 yrs last year for desktops + 1 WHS license for my V1 WHS and last they said the engine was updated to 6.0 AV. Now it is up to 7.0 for AV. I have gotten little information in regards to an update awhile ago as well. Frustrating to see a company put it on the backburner for so damn long. I am going to move off of Avast in the future once I find something that'll work with V1 WHS as I am not updating my ex485 to 2011 unless I was to replace CPU on it but that isn't in the cards either. It works for what I use it for (music and video streaming) and don't see a need to go to 2011 unless I built a whole new box for it which also isn't in the cards.

Very sad and LAME from Avast to blow this product off for so long. And they don't even respond in a timely fashion to requests about WHEN/IF they are going to update it when you even contact them.