Author Topic: World of Warcraft account got hacked, found nothing, please help!  (Read 2403 times)

Danhouse

Hey, i've recently had my WoW account hacked, by some kind of keylogger and I'm kind of worried that the malicious program is still hiding in my computer somewhere.

I have run Malewarebytes Anti-malware, Mcaffee, Avast! and Spy Bot: Search and Destroy; all have found nothing, excepting the Spybot scan that found some cookie programs. I also ran full system scans with all programs.

I took other user advice to run the above programs while on the character login screen, but still nothing has been found.

I also ran Avast! boot scan, twice, and came up with these files:

C:\ProgramData\Dell\Dell Stage\updates\Update_1.5.420.0\DellStage_1.5.420_Update.msi|>disk1.cab|>stage_primary.exe

and

C:\Windows\Installer\2543e.msi|>disk1.cab|>stage_primary.exe

Could these files be responsible for the keylogger?

Considering the programs I've used so far, and what they've come up with, what else could you suggest for me to root out this problem?

Since none of these programs have unearthed any kind of virus, it makes me think some malicious software is subverting the programs intended to capture them or somebody online had managed to hack into my account on their own.

Please help me out, and any help is appreciated; the whole WoW thing doesn't worry me as much as the fact someone is attentive to my personal information.

Dch48

Re: World of Warcraft account got hacked, found nothing, please help!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 06:20:15 AM »
I got hacked once too and never did find anything malicious on my system. I got an authenticator and changed my password and the email address connected to the account. I have had no further problems and it was about 2 years ago that I was hacked.

iroc9555

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 02:05:59 PM »
Danhouse welcome to Avast! Forum.

Dch48 is right. Most of the time when an account is hacked just changing the password is enough; However, if you want to be sure and to have peace of mind, you should follow this guide:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

and then attach ( when elaborating your post bottom left " Additonal Option " ) the logs requeted there to the Viruses and Worms Forum:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=4.0

where Essexboy will assist you to remove any malware found.

Good luck.

Danhouse

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 07:01:11 PM »
thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

iroc9555

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 07:06:05 PM »
thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.

You are welcome  :)